Other Players

Chet Atkins - What Is His Best Album?

I started listening to Chet Atkins' albums on Youtube and I would like to get at least a few for my collection. I did some research and including repackages and reissues he has released around 142 albums!

What are some of the best ones? I started at the beginning and so far my favorite is his 4th album A Session with Chet Atkins that he released in 1954.

my favorite Chet Atkins recording are on this set on JSP records :

Too many to name just one..... High Rockin' Swing... Superpickers.....Alone.....Sails.....Guitar Country..... and many others.....

Fingerstyle Guitar, and Stringin' Along With Chet Atkins are my two favorites. They were released about 1955-1958 - approximately.

That's a hard question for a Chet Atkins fan to answer. Three of my favorites are "Mister Guitar" (RCA LSP-2103), "Chet Atkins In 3 Dimensions" (RCA LPM-1197) and "It's A Guitar World" (RCA LSP-3728).

Impossible question !! Please delete your post at once.. and just go get them ALL !

"Picks on Jerry Reed" and "Alone" plus the "Solo Sessions" album. But all his albums have great moments to savor

This is the first one I ever bought and it is still one of my favorites, but there is no way I can just choose one.

Oh, year Bear! That's a fabulous album! It contains a LOT of his earlier gems including "Centipede Boogie" and "Bells Of St. Mary's". I especially LOVE the "Stephen Foster Medley".

Mister Guitar is definitely my favorite. I love Backwoods

Otter, the stereo version of "Mister Guitar" is the one to get. "I Know That You Know" in Project-O-Sonic Stereo is mind-blowing!

To date, I have only one; Neck and Neck with Mark Knopfler. Fantastic album.

I have a couple that haven't been mentioned yet and are quite incredible. The first is Progressive Pickin', his one and only album devoted strictly to jazz. The second one is Standard Brands with Lenny Breau. You can get a CD of this one but an album is quite rare.

BTW, I have every original album and most re-issues in mint condition, including the 10" ones. Chet autographed my Gallopin' Guitar cover in gold ink and my 10" Stringin' Along With Chet in black pen.

Impossible question !! Please delete your post at once.. and just go get them ALL !

– Mitch Crane

I did exactly that Mitch! Got 'em all with just a few exceptions, such as no mono version of such and such. I even have a picture disc 45 of The Country Hams with Paul McCartney and they do a song Paul's father wrote called Walkin' in the Park with Eloise. 98% are mint, cover and album and I have a large collection of duplicates as well....just never got rid of the them!

he has released around 142 albums! - BuddyHollywood<

Incredible output! That's like 1,400 recorded pieces under his name alone. I'm totally flabbergasted...

Get the lot!

Seriously, it's very difficult. I have almost all of Chet's albums and they all have their merits. Here's a few to try:-

Teensville - my first Chet album; some great playing here.

Down Home - back porch picking, includes Trambone.

Me & Jerry, Me & Chet - with Jerry Reed, some of the best duets ever

Guitar Country, More of That Guitar Country

If you can find the old RCA Camden album of tracks with Homer & Jethro titled, in the US, The Early Years of Chet Atkins and His Guitar buy it. Otherwise, buy the Gallopng Guitar collection (hell, buy that anyway!).

Chet Atkins Workshop - Chet can be a little too laid back so listen to Marie here: it really swings.

Solo Sessions, 2CD set. Released posthumously, these tracks were laid down in his home studio, reputedly for his wife, the playing is pure Chet and possibly my favourite.

Fingerstyle Guitar, Stringin' Along With Chet Atkins, " Chet Atkins In 3 Dimensions"

Why? because they display several genres of musical style from sophisticated country to brilliantly arranged standards and even classical pieces.

Fingerstyle Guitar, Stringin' Along With Chet Atkins, " Chet Atkins In 3 Dimensions"

Why? because they display several genres of musical style from sophisticated country to brilliantly arranged standards and even classical pieces.

– norm van maastricht

I agree!

This is one I had that kept disappearing into my mother's record collection. She loved this album.

I believe this is one of the first albums where Chet played a nylon string guitar for every cut. My favorite cut is "Siboney". My Uncle Bob and Aunt Nete bought it for me for Christmas when I was a boy. God, I miss them.

This was my favorite. My dad bought this home one day and played it on our Silvertone stereo and from that moment on I knew I had to learn to play the guitar!

my favorite Chet Atkins recording are on this set on JSP records :

– WB

May I ask for some certain tunes? Or is it some certain years? The pictured set was my first Chet release and still is my fave. I love "Oh by Jingo".

I have over 90 Chet Atkins albums and although I love them all for different reasons one of my favorite is probably not the first one people would think of.

I love the album he did with the Boston Pops called the Pops Goes Country. It has a great version of country gentleman with the Boston Pops backing up to Chet.

And because I'm a nerd, here is a picture of all of my Chet LPs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation