Other Players

buddy holly played a gibson electric hollowbody guitar

Well, there are pix of him w/ a Les Paul before he adopted the Strat. Back when the 1979 Buddy Holly movie came out, they had the guitars all wrong. Showed him playing a Mustang at one point which was still a good 5-6 years off.

Hmmm... Are you characterizing a Les Paul as a Gibson hollowbody guitar? Mine isn't even chambered, much less hollowbody. :|

I think in the movie it wasn't a Mustang either, the one with the bridge pup not slanted, forget what its called.

Seems to me I saw a rosewood-neck Tele and Strat in that movie.The last time BH bought guitars,rosewood wasn't available on those models yet.The biggest howler of all was a blond Music Man 2-12 combo with a Fender flat logo on the right side of the grill.There might also have been a blond Twin onstage as well.

So what I want to know is where's the scene with Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown pulling up in the BTTF DeLorean delivering instruments from the future.After all,he got Marvin Berry a '58 Gibson ES-345. ;-)

In the Movie it was a 70's Bronco :(

Well, we know that the "Buddy Holly Story" movie got the guitars pretty damned wrong. What I'd like to know is whether the "electric hollowbody" alluded to in the title is the LP mentioned above, or another model Gibson, and if so, which one(s)?

BH did have a Gibson flat-top,but I've never seen pics of him playing a Gibson archtop,electric or otherwise.

Yeah, I remember the flat-top Gibson. He had a hand-tooled leather cover with his name on it. Another guitar maker recently offered a reproduction of the guitar and the cover. I have a picture of the repro somewhere.

This site has a pretty extensive discussion of Buddy's equipment. Unfortunately, there are no pictures. It does mention the J-45 (with the cover), a Guild Navarre similar to the J-200, and the gold top Les Paul.

it's the picture of buddy holly on stage with an hollowbody electric gibson.

– didier delcourt

Didier,where DO you get this stuff ? Amazing!

– Tubs

– Tubs

Thanks Tubs. That's even wronger.:D That movie was so lame, I think it made P. Mac. feel obligated to produce the "Real" Buddy Holly story.

– DaveH

– didier delcourt

– DaveH

Somewhere over the rainbow.

Yep, there it is all right. Hard to tell which model from that angle, though. An ES-295?

Nice find, Didier!

Looks like the headstock is bound--not a 295. May be Super 400/L5. Also looks like it has a bigsby.

Cool photo !!

Looks like the headstock is bound--not a 295. May be Super 400/L5. Also looks like it has a bigsby.

Cool photo !!

– Mr Gas Money

Cool photo !!

– Gas Money

i think it's from 1958 when his stratocaster was stolen during an alan Freed show

Looks like the crown logo - ES-350N?

That was a horrible movie! How about the Silver Face Fender amps with Blonde Tolex, but still the silver face... as though Blonde was around when Buddy was alive. That was a horrible, horrible movie. The story, the acting, and the music were all horrible.
I still have the Real Buddy Holly story on VHS.
Violet Petty is the real star of that one.
BZ

That was a horrible movie! How about the Silver Face Fender amps with Blonde Tolex, but still the silver face... as though Blonde was around when Buddy was alive. That was a horrible, horrible movie. The story, the acting, and the music were all horrible.
BZ

– Billy Zoom

BZ

– BillyZoom

You're right this movie is a nightmare. Gary Busey play horrible. All is fake in this movie. The name of the musicians, the amps, guitars etc etc etc. Don't buy it (i've buy it).

There is two known photos of Buddy with the electric blond Gibson hollowbody. I have both. The other one is taken in front of Buddy showing the whole guitar. It's a Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster with a B6 Bigsby. The photos was taken at the Arena in Windsor, Ontario on April 9, 1958. On his original itinerary sheet next to this date, Buddy had written the word "Stolen".

All information above (except info on the guitar model) is taken from Bill Griggs publication Rockin' 50´s magazine OCT/NOV '02 Issue #66.

Well I am going to be the one to stick up for the movie The Buddy Holly Story. It was a low budget movie, Staring a little known inexperienced actor who I think dug deep and conveyed what he thought Buddy was like. He was trying to convey Buddy from the standpoint of a driven stand by his convictions Likeable guy who WAS the band . The details could have been done better(equipment,locations of events) but just like parables in the bible the point gets across of his spirit ,talent,and the inovatation of his simple but true and timeless music he left us with. I totally enjoyed the movie and thanks to this movie people who never saw him (only a few appearances on tv) or those born later at least had somewhat an experiance of Buddy Holly .

Andreas, can you post or link to the other pic?

Register Sign in to join the conversation