General tech questions

Tone switch AND tone pots together???

So, was pondering wiring possibilities. Putting in a set of TV Jones T90's, and I was thinking about doing a master volume for both pickups, and having individual tones for the pickups. My tech suggested maybe also doing a tone switch in tandem for "on the fly" switching. His theory was, with the tone switch in the middle it's essentially out of the circuit, so the tone pots would be useable, but when I'd flip to either side of the switch it's add that capacitor to the circuit, and I could "preset" sounds to my preference.

Would this work, or is it overkill?? I would think that you'd have an issue with the values of the caps on the tone pot PLUS the values of the switch. Have to be careful that they didn't get too muddy.

Any thoughts?

It would certainly work, but I do think it's overkill. What could be useful is having the tone pots activated by the switch, so you could preset two different tone settings and switch to them on the fly. Personally, I don't find I need that level of resolution on my tone switch. The two caps specified by Gretsch serve my purposes perfectly.

It would certainly work, but I do think it's overkill. What could be useful is having the tone pots activated by the switch, so you could preset two different tone settings and switch to them on the fly. Personally, I don't find I need that level of resolution on my tone switch. The two caps specified by Gretsch serve my purposes perfectly.

– Otter

It's definitely a bid mad sciency, to be sure.

I usually don't use the individual volumes, as I have my pickup height set so the volume is just right, so I decided that we'd just do tone pots for each pickup. My tech suggested maybe trying to have the tone switch as well, as it's an easilly reversible mod if I don't like it.

I have the '67 Rally from Ryan (Gretsch6123?) and it has a newer harness from a Country Gent. It has a mud switch and a master tone knob. They work great together. Lots of control to dial in the tone you want.

I have the '67 Rally from Ryan (Gretsch6123?) and it has a newer harness from a Country Gent. It has a mud switch and a master tone knob. They work great together. Lots of control to dial in the tone you want.

– Daddy Dog

That was kind of my thought. Have 2 presets, and also the ability to dial in the tone via the pots.

Let me know how those t90s sound. I'm debating between those or tarmonds one day.

I've wondered if there were a pot that could be fitted where the tone switch goes, but was small enough to look like a normal tone switch that would twist instead of flip to two positions.

Will do!

I've heard great things about the T-90's. I didn't want to go with just another flavor of Filtertron for the Annie I just got, figured the T-90's were a good bet.

I did this and used the TV Jones wiring diagrams to add a tone pot to my wiring. Like Daddy Dog mentioned I used a new harness and it worked great. I may try it again some day. The Rally gave me this option because of the extra holes so I needed to fill it because the treble boost was toast.

I did this and used the TV Jones wiring diagrams to add a tone pot to my wiring. Like Daddy Dog mentioned I used a new harness and it worked great. I may try it again some day. The Rally gave me this option because of the extra holes so I needed to fill it because the treble boost was toast.

– Gretsch6123

It seems like a good compromise. I rarely use the individual volumes as I set my "volume" by the pickup height. This way I have individual TONE for each pickup, and also an on the fly couple of tone settings.

I've got an old Framus that has tone pots and tone switches.

Well, the jury is in.....It works GREAT!!!!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation