Other Players

are lefty players different - -

Even tho I am left handed, I play right handed because at an early age I was able to adapt.

But real lefties -- I keep wondering if there is just something different about how they play... thinking of well known lefties...

Albert King -- how he bent notes

Hendrix -- very hard to copy although many have tried -- his chording and lead playing also off center/unconventional somehow, and I thought this the first time I heard him over 50 years ago.

McCartney, even - Most all the more unusual, goofy, off the wall Beatle guitar solos -- he did them.

Others can analyze more recent lefties like Easton, etc.

I guess this has been discussed before tho

Playing lefty just isn’t right.

I never noticed a difference. May be so with some of those lefties who play righty. As a drummer myself, I noted that Ringo, a lefty playing a right handed set, suggesting that this added to the quirkiness of his fills.

When a lefty learns on a right handed guitar, I assume there is something unusual to the dominant hand doing the fretting and the non-dominant hand in charge of rhythm and note placement.

Just to confuse things Hendrix wrote right handed.

Yes we are different. Some new studies are showing genetic differences that lead to different brain structure that’s lends itself to an increase in verbal skills in left handed folks.

.... but I’ve walked around my whole life with this brain and no other so I’m not sure how mine differs from yours?

Try setting up a lefty or changing out pots or strings, its not just backwards it's unusual.

Albert King may have held the guitar lefty but it was strung righty.

Albert King may have held the guitar lefty but it was strung righty.

– Charlie Vegas

I think Elizabeth Cotten also did this.

At one of those "almost anything goes" gigs about 18 months ago an old pal of our singer asked if he could sit in for a few numbers -- sure, why not. He'd been a pro player since the '60s but had been ill for a while and now was ready to ease his way back into the game. He was a lefty.

After a while we asked him if he fancied singing something. He suggested a song that we never played but we sort of knew how it went -- with the emphasis on 'sort of'. He said: "Just follow me."

The bass player and I had busked with lefties before, so how hard could it be? A few bars in it dawned on us that this lefty played a flipped guitar with strings set up for a right- handed player -- so the skinny strings were on top! Ever tried to work out upside down left-handed chord fingering on the fly? For the rest of the set he had to follow us.

I never noticed a difference. May be so with some of those lefties who play righty. As a drummer myself, I noted that Ringo, a lefty playing a right handed set, suggesting that this added to the quirkiness of his fills.

When a lefty learns on a right handed guitar, I assume there is something unusual to the dominant hand doing the fretting and the non-dominant hand in charge of rhythm and note placement.

– Bob Howard

This could be -- I have always had a light- touch, light right hand and don't hit strings hard.

There could be other differences that left and right brains have that affects what's played, how it's played

I have no idea what Intense Metal Dudes do in this regard.

I think Elizabeth Cotten also did this.

– Baba Joe

I think Dick Dale too.

As a lefthander I used to wonder if I would have been better playing lefthanded. That notion left my mind decades ago.

I’m officially a rightie, but writing and playing guitar are the only things I do that way round. For everything else I’m pretty much ambi, but favour the left side.

I write and eat with my left hand, play guitar and sports righty. I never really thought too much about it, I just do what feels natural.

I do find I can proficiently use most hand tools either way.

It was always crazy to me watching right-handers switch their knife and fork to cut, and then switch back to eat. Crazy.

My hockey sticks are lefty, when I draw faces on golf balls & club them I'm a righty.

It's amazing how we can adapt to using our non-dominant hand/arm, when an injury forces us to. I'm right handed, and have always thrown a ball with my right arm. I resently (last March) had a right shoulder replacement, and things went south. It dislocated and became badly infected from the revision surgery. The surgeon had go back in (a third time) to debride the infection and remove a lot of infected muscle tissue. I couldn't throw very well with my right arm for a long time, and I have a young dog that lives to play fetch.

Out of necessity, I started throwing her balls and Frisbee's with my left arm. It didn't take long before I could throw quite well lefty. What started out feeling very awkward, now feels very natural. My right arm is slowly getting better, and I'm beginning to be able to throw with it again, but it is painful to do so.

I'm still throwing left handed, and it feels absolutely natural. My brain and arm adapted to make the best of a bad situation, and little Lyla (7 months old now) has a fetching partner, and we're both very happy with the outcome.

I’m pretty much ambi

Hey, no judgment here.

Have you ever noticed that there are no left handed pianos, saxophones, tubas, computer keyboards, cars, cell phones, toasters, or bananas? And yet many left-handed guitar players think they can only play guitar with one hand. I'm left handed, and I find it easier to use my writing hand on the frets, but it never occurred to me to turn my guitar upside down, because I learned years before Paul & Jimi were around, and I played all of my instruments with both hands.

I started out on a right handed guitar and struggled with rhythm, which is strange because rhythm is my middle name. Handedness is not some minor preference for some. Sure I type with both hands, pick my nose with both hands but my brain is right hemisphere dominant. I feel lefties that caved to the right handed world have sold their true selves to the MAN! Lol...... I’m proud of myself and my people!

I’m pretty much ambi

Hey, no judgment here.

– Proteus

Of course, I meant ambidextrous, not ambi-anything else.

Righty all the way or so I thought. My mother alway said I was full of it along with every one else in the family but I remember writing with my left. I remember my teacher telling me I was wrong but we're talking about a 5 year old. if this is true it's wrong.

I'm right handed but certainly different.

At one of those "almost anything goes" gigs about 18 months ago an old pal of our singer asked if he could sit in for a few numbers -- sure, why not. He'd been a pro player since the '60s but had been ill for a while and now was ready to ease his way back into the game. He was a lefty.

After a while we asked him if he fancied singing something. He suggested a song that we never played but we sort of knew how it went -- with the emphasis on 'sort of'. He said: "Just follow me."

The bass player and I had busked with lefties before, so how hard could it be? A few bars in it dawned on us that this lefty played a flipped guitar with strings set up for a right- handed player -- so the skinny strings were on top! Ever tried to work out upside down left-handed chord fingering on the fly? For the rest of the set he had to follow us.

– Dave_K

Wasn’t Eddie Wheeler from Vanity Fare, was it? He’s the only local guy I know plays like that. I remember doing a recording session with him in the ‘90s and was amazed to watch him fingerpick Mystery Train left-handed on a righty-strung guitar.

Hi Deke -- you got it in one. Eddie's a real nice guy and a very good player, but he had my little brain stumped for a while!

Well... there have been all manner of sinister accusations made! I write, eat, throw, and shoot lefty, but play righty. All seriousness aside, my right hand doesn't pick very fast on a six-string and my Travis-picking is pretty basic, so my left hand does a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs.It's also always been easy to use my LH pinky, and sometimes I wish I had a functional 6th finger there.

Register Sign in to join the conversation