Other Players

Alis Lesley

Not sure if we've discussed Alis Lesley before...billed as the 'Female Elvis Presley'. Edit: Elvis came to see her perform in Vegas in Nov 1956. She toured Australia with Little Richard, Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent in 1957....

...and she rocked a 1956/57 Rancher!

Check out the killer pick rash on what was practically a brand new guitar when this photo was taken in Australia in October of 1957. She must have played the snot out of it on stage!

This photo is awesome! Alis showing that the Rockabilly gals rocked just as hard as the guys back when it all started

I'm waiting for the documentary you are putting together of all this great 50's music...

If you need any help let me know.

Love the voice, way better than lots of singers who made it way bigger. Wonder why she didn't continue a career past a single album? Seems she had everything going for her.

Dig the cool and controlled laid-back grooves. Great band too. Who are they?

Also, really beautifully recorded; love hearing the room around the players.

Thanks for posting.

Alis only ever released one single, for Era Records in 1957 and never recorded an album. Sleazy Records in Malaga, Spain released an album last year of all six of her only known recordings.

The Era single “He Will Come Back To Me” has Roy Buchanan on guitar. The flipside was “Heartbreak Harry”.

“Handsome Man” was recorded for Sun Records in 1959 but was never released. “So Afraid” was also an unreleased song. As were her only other recorded songs “Don’t Burn Your Bridges” and “Why Do I Feel This Way”.

Here she is at the Silver Slipper in Vegas with Elvis in 1956.

...and another great shot of Alis in action with her Rancher. I think this was in Montreal in 1959 although it could be during the Eddie Cochran Australian tour in 1957.

I'm waiting for the documentary you are putting together of all this great 50's music...

If you need any help let me know.

– Twangmeisternyc

Intriguing....I didn’t know I was making a documentary

The Rancher one more time...

– Wheelgrinder

I want a poster of this. Thanks Wheelgrinder for bringing her up.

Register Sign in to join the conversation