Other Players

53 Years Ago, a sad day.

On February 3, 1959, a small-plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, killed three American rock and roll pioneers RIP fellas.

Terribly sad. Spinnin' Buddy on the ole IPOD as I type this.

Just the other day I read about the exhumation of the Big Bopper's body that happened a few years back. Never heard about it at the time, but the whole thing was incredibly creepy. BB's son was even gonna auction the original casket (they used a new one when the Bopper was reburied) on eBay. Did you folks ever hear about that stuff?

Ahh yes. There ya go. Thanks for the link. Creepy as hell.

A long long time ago I can still remember how That music used to make me smile And I knew if I had my chance That I could make those people dance And maybe they'd be happy for a while But February made me shiver With every paper I'd deliver Bad news on the doorstep I couldn't take one more step I can't remember if I cried When I read about his widowed bride But something touched me deep inside The day the music died So

[Chorus] Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye Singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die

Did you write the book of love And do you have faith in God above If the Bible tells you so? Now do you believe in rock and roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you're in love with him Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym You both kicked off your shoes Man, I dig those rhythm and blues I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck With a pink carnation and a pickup truck But I knew I was out of luck The day the music died I started singin'

[Chorus]

Now, for ten years we've been on our own And moss grows fat on a rolling stone But, that's not how it used to be When the jester sang for the king and queen In a coat he borrowed from James Dean And a voice that came from you and me Oh and while the king was looking down The jester stole his thorny crown The courtroom was adjourned No verdict was returned And while Lenin read a book on Marx The quartet practiced in the park And we sang dirges in the dark The day the music died We were singin'

[Chorus]

Helter skelter in a summer swelter The birds flew off with a fallout shelter Eight miles high and falling fast It landed foul on the grass The players tried for a forward pass With the jester on the sidelines in a cast Now the half-time air was sweet perfume While sergeants played a marching tune We all got up to dance Oh, but we never got the chance Cause the players tried to take the field The marching band refused to yield Do you recall what was revealed The day the music died? We started singin'

[Chorus]

Oh, and there we were all in one place A generation lost in space With no time left to start again So come on Jack be nimble, Jack be quick Jack Flash sat on a candlestick Cause fire is the devil's only friend And as I watched him on the stage My hands were clenched in fists of rage No angel born in Hell Could break that Satan's spell And as the flames climbed high into the night To light the sacrificial rite I saw Satan laughing with delight The day the music died He was singin'

[Chorus]

I met a girl who sang the blues And I asked her for some happy news But she just smiled and turned away I went down to the sacred store Where I'd heard the music years before But the man there said the music wouldn't play And in the streets the children screamed The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed But not a word was spoken The church bells all were broken And the three men I admire most- the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost- They caught the last train for the coast The day the music died And they were singing

Just the other day I read about the exhumation of the Big Bopper's body that happened a few years back. Never heard about it at the time, but the whole thing was incredibly creepy. BB's son was even gonna auction the original casket (they used a new one when the Bopper was reburied) on eBay. Did you folks ever hear about that stuff?

– Tommy Maguire

– Tommy Maguire

Yep, I live here in Beaumont, The Bopper's home town, and my parents & uncles are buried in the same cemetery. Somewhere I've got a photo of BBjr looking at his dad's face for the 1st time in his life. Apparently, the body was very well preserved. But there was really no serious attempt to sell the original casket.

The Bopper is reinterred in a special section, but so far, I've never had the thought to track it down. It's only a few miles from the house. Maybe this weekend, if it doesn't rain like it's supposed to, I can swing by, and find out where he is.

RIP to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, J. P. Richardson, and Roger Peterson.

I think about their music all the time. I play it every Feb. 3rd without fail. I started playing the guitar with serious effort after seeing the film La Bamba in 1987. Their music was a huge influence on me, and my friends from that time.

Rave On!

Dylan

Here's my favourite tribute song. Listen how moved he sounds when he sings about Buddy.

Three Stars - Eddie Cochran

– Andreas

Here's my favourite tribute song. Listen how moved he sounds when he sings about Buddy.

– Andreas

Yep, you can hear it on his voice.. He's really hurting.

The day the music died...

Buddy is one of my favourites, i get weird looks when i tell people that. Must be cause im 22.

– Andreas

Buddy is one of my favourites, i get weird looks when i tell people that. Must be cause im 22.

– jaycemumford

– Andreas

– jaycemumford

Dont worry :) I was 15 when I started collect his original US records. I played the very rare Decca EP tonight. He really had his own sound!

Oh Donna...

I remember the angst I felt when I first heard this tune. Great loss to all... :(

BB exhumed? There's creepy then there is this. He would have been ashamed of anyone who had anything to do with this. So am I. 8-o

Rave on, Buddy, Ritchie, and JP - and Roger Petersen as well. Thinking of you all today.

Yes, a truly sad day.

I never got out of bed on a school day as quickly as when my father yelled up the stairs, "For the last time, get up! Oh and by the way, Buddy Holly is dead."

Re Eddie Cochran's Three Stars: the story is that Eddie had terrible trouble recording the song because he kept bursting into tears and had to stop - the emotion in his voice is real. It must have been very hard for him which makes it all the more poignant that just a few days later he was talking about Buddy at the Town Hall Party gig and not much more than a year later he, too, was gone.

Register Sign in to join the conversation