Other Players

50 years…Pet Sounds, … then Sgt. Peppers, now “Piper at the Gat…

I've been listening to it in my car since last Saturday. I had no idea of its 50th Anniversary this week. Always an enjoyable listen!

A landmark album. And alhough it was recorded in the first half of 1966, Revolver was released --I think -- in September of 1966, so that 50th is coming also.

Amazing album. I just got around to seeing Love & Mercy. If you haven't seen it yet do yourself a favor and check it out ASAP. The detail that went into replicating the recording scenes is so amazing and the movie itself is really good. I knew I would like it because I really dig the Beach Boys but I was surprised at how much I loved it.

My cousin started this thread this morning...major Beach Boys/Brian Fan.

We only have one boy to carry-on the Family Name on our branch of the Tree...his child...named Brian!

The first child, a girl, has the middle name "Brianna"!

This clip on YouTube makes me ponder how timeless the album will be...

https://www.google.com/url?...

My cousin started this thread this morning...major Beach Boys/Brian Fan.

We only have one boy to carry-on the Family Name on our branch of the Tree...his child...named Brian!

The first child, a girl, has the middle name "Brianna"!

This clip on YouTube makes me ponder how timeless the album will be...

https://www.google.com/url?...

– Twangmeisternyc

What an awesome video!

Genius arranger, Brian Wilson. Hear the contributions from the great musicians.

And let's not forget Tony Asher. He co-wrote the song.

50 years now for Sgt. Peppers, the response from The Beatles to The Beach Boys released in the USA 2June1967.

Folks like to critique the album A LOT!

That being said, Fixing a Hole, Getting Better, She's Leaving Home, and A Day in the Life are on my Top 25 list for Beatles songs.

See Emily Play, Arnold Layne, Interstellar Overdrive, Astronomy Domine...gotta love it!

I always think of Syd when I hear any of those songs.

....pretty much every LP that I grew up loving seems to be approaching the "50 year" mark.

I had left out Are You Experienced, however unique and different and groundbreaking it was, as I think ElectricLadyLand sets the mark for Hendrix. AYE came out May 12, 1967.

As I commented in another thread, AYE and then A:BAL showed some really impressive guitar playing, but the full Wah/Volume/Octavia sound was yet to come matched with Eddie Kramer turning the knobs on all the Studio gadgets.

Pink Floyd might never had made it, overcoming set backs with steadfast perseverance should always be admired.

The Doors' first album, the Grateful Dead's first album, the Airplane's "Surrealistic Pillow" and "After Bathing at Baxter's," and Cream's "Disraeli Gears" all turn 50 this year as well.

It was an amazing time for music!

The 60's had a dynamic unlike other decades, hard to explain to those who are younger, and a nightmare to those that are older!

I don't even know if I could listen to Piper now but that guitar tone and riff in Lucifer Sam is absolutely spectacular!

"Lucifer Sam" is Austin Powers' Movie theme music...which, to me, is just about perfect...

Register Sign in to join the conversation