Pickups

Your Favorite Strat Pickups???

My Classic Players '60s has Custom Shop '69 pickups. Actually they might be from the CS but maybe not. Up to a certain year they were CS but later non-CS versions. Not sure what is mine but I suspect not CS because mine was bought used by me and it's a 2015 model. They are good. I like David Gilmour but I really don't play that style of music. I hear these are good for Gilmour and even Hendrix. I don't plan on spending money anytime soon but if I change the pickups I did research and found maybe the Pure Vintage '59 would fit the bill.

What do you all like, Fender brand or any other brand?

Rio Grandes. Incredible.

K

Fender CS 54. back when i was re-doing the Strat i found a web page with sound samples of various Strat PUs including Fralin, SD, et al. and i liked the 54s best by a wide margin.

Lindy Fralin 'Vintage Hots'.

I have Fralin Vintage Hots too. Like them alot. Very stratty.

Another vote for CS '54. I also like the CS "Fat 50's" that were in Am. Std strats for a while. I even like the "Tex Mex" pickups in the JV Sig guitars, although they are a bit hot (not to be confused with the Texas Specials, which don't sound great to my ear). Haven't tried Lollars, though and might like to someday. Although-- Fender should be the expert on Fender pickups!

One day a friend brought in his 58 Stratocaster for me to go over. The first thing that struck me was the size of the body which seemed smaller and the second was how much the body vibrated and how resonate it was. Then when I plugged it in it had THAT sound that I only heard on recordings so I got my multimeter out and the numbers were N 5.7, M 6.1 and B 5.6. I talked with some old time Strat players about the numbers and they said that it was normal to have the middle a little hotter so it could be lowered so that you could get a balanced signal while lowering it in the body for picking clearance. The I talked to a friend that has a relationship with MojoTone and he said they experienced the same thing and built this pickup set.

https://www.mojotone.com/Pi...

btw the CS 69 Strat PUs signed by Abigail Ybarra are still widely available online despite being OOP for several years now. when i build up a Strat again i'll use them...i had a Strat with them in the 00s and they were magnificent all-purpose post-50s PUs. i used one of those Stellartone Tonestylers i won at a NorCal Roundup, a notch filter that lets you go from 60s sound to 50s sound to Jerry Garcia "Wolf" tone all the way to muffled Tele neck PU. if you want versatility, it'll give it to you.

Rio Grande’s Muy Grande. The original design had larger pole-pieces, but the new ones are pretty great too. Fat, a bit mid rangey, but with muy bite. I want to try one in my Tele.

Seymour Duncan Billy G. Red Devil's.

As mentioned, Fralin vintage hots, base plate on bridge. I had Lace gold's too and remember really liking them alot. Gonna throw in Duncan ssl 1s. They are cheaper and also sound very good.

Going a bit off topic, I have forgotten most of what I knew about old Fender pickups after I quit The Vintage Fender Cult 15-18 years ago. But if I recall there's really no difference from 1950s Strat pickups that what was used later in Music Master Duo Sonic and even Mustang(?) Of course output varied some etc. But it really was the same design?

54's. The 60th Anniversary 1954 Strat to be precise .

Another vote fro Fralins. Vintage Hots are really beautiful, glassy all-around Stratty goodness. His Blues Specials are great as well; a tad bit more mids but still glassy.

Other than that, my favorites are Jim Wagner's (WCR Pickups) SR set. Hard to find, but worth it. Not sure how to describe them; they're very vintage sounding but also...well...'sparkly'. Almost Hi-Fi, but I hate to use that term since it isn't a term you normally hear in conjunction with good Strat pups, but they have unusually clear and present highs. But not harsh or ice-picky in the slightest.

Going a bit off topic, I have forgotten most of what I knew about old Fender pickups after I quit The Vintage Fender Cult 15-18 years ago. But if I recall there's really no difference from 1950s Strat pickups that what was used later in Music Master Duo Sonic and even Mustang(?) Of course output varied some etc. But it really was the same design?

– DCBirdMan

True. I’m told they even used the same pickups on the Musicmaster Bass, hence the anemic sound, with the strings between the pole pieces.

Going to have to amend my choice, as B. G. Red devils' are humbuckers-Gold Lace Sensors.

Aaron at Rumplestiltskin winds great strat p/us. 50s and 50s spec. My friend got a set custom wound sort of in between, and that partscaster sounds just right.

Another vote for Rio Grandes!

I recently upgraded my strat partscaster with two Vintage Tallboys in the neck and middle positions and a Stelly in the bridge. It's now a cool-rockin' strat which is perfect for rock and blues.

I wish I had a different answer, but the best sounding strats I've played were old ones. A friend had a '65 that was magical and had a sweetness to it I have yet to hear in a new strat and I've played other 50's and 60's strats that made me wish they weren't so stupid expensive.
I have no idea why those older guitars sound better to my ear, I think it's a sum of the parts, and I'm totally not convinced that a set of old pickups would get the same result in a new guitar.

New pickups - I have a set a friend wound on my parts-o-strat that I like, low-ish output twangy pickups that are somehow mellow enough on top. I prefer lower output pickups and some kind of boost pedal to louder pickups in a strat, higher output pickups take away "that" strat tone. I've heard/played some Don Mare strat pickups I really liked too.

True. I’m told they even used the same pickups on the Musicmaster Bass, hence the anemic sound, with the strings between the pole pieces.

– Bob Howard

So what I can't figure out if dudes are totally losing it and gettin' manic over 1958 Strat pickups and paying too much for them, why not the same frenzy about 1958 Duo Sonic pickups?

DCBirdman, I thought the same thing but when my brother was thinking of fitting Strat pickups to his Mustang (he wanted to fit a Stack at the neck and Hot Rails at the bridge), they wouldn’t fit. Same design, different covers maybe.

Bob Howard, I know a couple of people that put Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in their Musicmaster Bass. Sounds 100% better.

Ron Ellis..........Hands Down !!

Here is a guy who upgraded, or changed actually, not necessarily an upgrade. He went from traditional pickups to blade pickups. I am not really a humbucker, stacked humbucker or blade humbuckers but I can see for his purpose why he did the change.

Register Sign in to join the conversation