Pickups

Wood mount on a Center-block with rings?

So someone posted a set of TV Jones Magnatrons on my local kijiji today. They came out of a direct/wood mount Gretsch so they don't have the ears. The guitar was a 2011 but they were aftermarket from a previous owner. The guitar I would be installing them in would be the one from my NGD thread a few days ago. A Gretsch 5620.

Question 1. Would I run into problems direct mounting it to a (fairly substantial) wood shim glued into the bridge cavity? I'm thinking two blocks where the wood screws go in, not filling the entire cavity. Anybody try this? Am I crazy? Talk me down from the ledge because in my head this is a fairly simple solution. I would leave the rings on, but without anything connecting them to the pickup.

Question 2. I know TV Jones makes adaptors for the three screw electromatic rings, but do they also sell the whole universal mount kit (aka the legs with the proper machine-thread screws)?

OR alternatively, is it more of a headache than the savings from buying used are worth? I'm a tinkerer/modder generally, so I'm not afraid of a project.

I've glued in wood to mount filtertrons into a semi-hollow guitar and it worked and looked great. I've also used plastic strips to mount the pickup on and drilled through it and the pickup bezel to mount with screws and springs. That worked great too. I think it's up to how you want it look and how much adjustment room you might need. Just go for it. It will be fun and turn out cool! Post photos when you're done!!

Have you made some on a centerblock model or just full hollow? I don't know how much room I'll have to work with because I haven't even looked in the cavities yet. I don't have time to take it apart right now, I probably will before I buy the pickups, but I figured I'd ask here first...

You'll have to post pics, but if the pickups you're pulling out are Filter sized, you should be able to fit the Maggies in without too much difficulty. Remember that the Magnatrons don't have adjustable polepieces; just follow TV's height recommendations and you will be on the money. Magnatrons are big fun.

You'll have to post pics, but if the pickups you're pulling out are Filter sized, you should be able to fit the Maggies in without too much difficulty. Remember that the Magnatrons don't have adjustable polepieces; just follow TV's height recommendations and you will be on the money. Magnatrons are big fun.

– lx

Yeah they are the same size (as far as I know), but the one's I have are ring mounted, and the one's I'd be buying are wood mounted...

Go to electromatics section in the discussion threads. There is a thread there called DIY English mounts that address this issue.

Have you made some on a centerblock model or just full hollow? I don't know how much room I'll have to work with because I haven't even looked in the cavities yet. I don't have time to take it apart right now, I probably will before I buy the pickups, but I figured I'd ask here first...

– Bonzo21

Not sure if you're referring to wood, or spring mount......but

I did a wood mount on a semi hollow 335 syle, and an electromatic, but changed the Electromatic to a spring mount, using plastic strips under Filtertrons.

I'd buy the pickups first, then you HAVE to do it!

I mean like the wood screws through the pickup as opposed to machine screws through the pickup ring. And I think I understand what you mean by the plastic strip, but would I not then have to tap the screw holes to accept the machine screw? I don't have a tapping bit, and I've never tapped one before, but I'm not against trying it for the first time aahaha I'm most likely going to buy them anyways. Sent TV Jones an email to see if they sell the universal mount kits. I only see the 3 screw adaptor on their site. That would simplify things for sure... I'm very likely going to buy them anyways. I'm in a small-ish Canadian city so TV Jones pickups don't show up used very often.... the price is very tempting.

What you want to do is what was done by many. There were originally no adjustment screws for Filtertrons. You screwed them into the wood and were done with it. Use wood screws that will sink into the top braces; use mouse-pad foam underneath so you can adjust the height as necessary; the mouse pad foam works as a spring. Again, post pics. I hate to sound so definitive, but you are onto a great sound and I know you will have it soon. Magnatrons are greatly undervalued/unknown pickups, and you will have a ball with them. I know I did.

I sent in an offer. I'll post pictures of my mounting job when I get to it, disaster or success ahahah

Thanks for the advice guys!

Well, it aint pretty, but it worked!

It's late so I haven't plugged it in, but I played it through a Vox AC30 headphone amp and it sounded really good.

These things sound pretty damn good! I was worried because they were on the "bright" end of every comparison chart for TV Jones that I've seen (and the Gretsch sound to me is bright to start with), but I'm pleasantly surprised to find that they don't have the ice-picky harshness I was expecting to have to EQ out. The neck has some real single coil glass to it, and the bridge is very telecastery with gain. Real happy with them right now...

Glad that worked out for you.

I bet it sounds awesome! Bright is a good thing!

And in the voice of David Lee Roth I say, "It ain't how good you sound, (he said feel) it's how good you look, baby!"

Register Sign in to join the conversation