Pickups

Wiring T-Armonds in a Hollow Body

I've read about the wiring scheme Billy Zoom recommends for DeArmonds in a Jet. Does anyone have experience with this wiring scheme in a hollow body (parallel tone bars & sound post) guitar with T-Armonds?

master volume = 1 meg audio

individual volume & tone = 1 meg linear

Thanks.

I did it in my Jet and it opened it up the great tone even more than was already there. I love this mod. I'm guessing it will enhance a hollow body too.

Also wondering about using a treble bleed on the master volume in this scenario.

A lot of the older Dyna hollow body Gretsches came standard with 1 meg audio taper pots. My '57 Dyna Clipper has an original 500k so I don't know when the 1 megs went out.

If I'm not mistaken, with four 1 Meg pots in parallel, you'll end up with 250K total on those pickups. I had a tele with two T-Armonds and two 500K pots, so 250K total as well, and I ended up going to two 250K pots - because the twin 500K setup was too bright for me, and I like bright, even.

But that was a tele. Maybe in a hollowbody it'll be just right. Depends on what you're after.

I don't have a lot of experience with linear taper pots, but I can tell you that 1 Meg audio taper pots have seriously lousy taper, they're on-off switches almost.

I don't have a lot of experience with linear taper pots, but I can tell you that 1 Meg audio taper pots have seriously lousy taper, they're on-off switches almost.

...just like the stock pots on almost every modern Gretsch I tried.

I bought some Bourns HRT 1Meg Audio pots a few days ago and will see what they do in my 6121-1959 RI. The guitar sounds good but could use a little brightness. And the taper of the stock pots is useless.

I wouldn't bet on the Bourns 1 Meg pots' taper Sascha. I like a 1 Meg Audio tone control for one specific thing : the taper's so lousy that all the action is concentrated in a tiny spot, and that makes them great for faux steel guitar "boo-wah" effects. (think Speedy West or Hank Williams records)

Actually, I bought the Bourns because I like pots with a slightly higher torque and the HRT version does exactly this.

that means they're slightly harder to turn? I like that too. But that doesn't say anything about taper, does it?

No, that surely says nothing about the taper. It's just that the controls definitely stay where they are. I like that when I'm singing and playing simultaneously. G'night, Walter. I need a hatful of sleep now.

goodnight!

I put 1M pots in my 6128-DSV after reading here that it was used in the 1950s and that it changes the sound in a positive way. Not because I dislike the sound I had from my two vintage DeArmonds in my Duo Jet but I was curious to try. I even did "before & after" recording to post here. But to my surprise I did not hear the slightest difference!

Register Sign in to join the conversation