Pickups

Which pickups in Jeff Beck’s Duo Jet

I'm not a Gretsch knowledge buff but I know some of you are.

I love that sound Beck gets with his Duo Jet on the youtube video where he demos some of his guitars.

What modern pickups get that sound or does one need to get the vintage pups and if so which ones?

I don't have a fortune to spend ....and like a fool I sold my Pro Jet....and am now looking for another to mod hence the pup question.

Thanks.........

The clips I've watched with Jeff he has used a dynasonic equipped jet. Gretsch makes reissues and so does TV Jones

I'm not very knowledgeable on JB's gear, but I'm pretty sure his strings are flatwound, that would make a difference. I do know his black duo has dynasonics, id imagine stock from that year

Jeff has a '55 jet. You may get close to that sound with any of the modern Dyna's, Gretsch, TVJones or Duncans. Just make sure they aren't the Dearmond 200/2000/2K and you'll be in the right ballpark.

From what I understand, old dynas were all over the map with output, but I personally prefer the stock gretsch ones. Once theyre set up right its magic, but they're very sensitive to small adjustments. I liked them when I got my jet but wasnt immediately blown away, then I flipped both pickups around, put a riser under the bridge and adjusted the poles and now theyre blowing me away. Those through my Vox AC15c2 is the sound ive always heard in my head. Also, to play around with the tone more, I recommend the MXR 6 band EQ; its indispensable to me, and can really change the voicing of a pickup for $89 new, much less used.

From what I understand, old dynas were all over the map with output, but I personally prefer the stock gretsch ones. Once theyre set up right its magic, but they're very sensitive to small adjustments. I liked them when I got my jet but wasnt immediately blown away, then I flipped both pickups around, put a riser under the bridge and adjusted the poles and now theyre blowing me away. Those through my Vox AC15c2 is the sound ive always heard in my head. Also, to play around with the tone more, I recommend the MXR 6 band EQ; its indispensable to me, and can really change the voicing of a pickup for $89 new, much less used.

– Chmason85

I did exactly the same thing with my Dynasonics and I am also very happy with the sounds I'm getting from my Duo Jet.

From what I understand, old dynas were all over the map with output...

During the years Gretsch used them, they were consistently about 9k to 9.5k. It was later that they were wound in the 11k to 13k range.

Afrie, Buddy, Chmason85....you gents are referring to the older 50's Gretsch Dynasonics?

Afrie, Buddy, Chmason85....you gents are referring to the older 50's Gretsch Dynasonics?

– Naquat

Speaking for myself, yes, pre-1958 DeArmonds.

– Naquat

Mine are from a 2011 Duo Jet.

Register Sign in to join the conversation