Pickups

What Gretsch pickup to choose…

Hey there !

I own an old National Les Paul and I think it could be interesting to install some Gretsch pickups. The original ones aren't that great...

But I don't know anything about Gretsch pickups !!!

I'm into "garage blues" stuff so definitely old school tone ! No high gain active EMG stuff here

TV Jones are quite expensive for that kind of guitar so I guess Gretsch or any other brand would be fine !

So what pickup would you suggest ???

Thanks a lot

Ok ! That's not the cheapest lol I can find some copies from ABC Parts for a nice price 90 Euros a pair. Ever heard of those ?

Or I'll wait to find a second hand set !

P90s! Oh wait.......... ; )

I already got a P90 Les Paul !!! (A Gibson LP '56 CS and that's my FAV guitar !!!!)

That's why I wanted to try something different... And the Gretsch sound came to my mind...

But thanks for your message

Well while Gretsch pickups sound great on Gretsches don't expect them to make a different guitar sound like a Gretsch! It doesn't work like that.

However they will work and possibly sound how you like. I would be inclined to try some Gold Foil pickups - there are a few people making replicas at the moment.

I know it's not that easy (I heard soundclips on youtube), but I think experimenting is always worth it !

I thought about gold foil but they do not clean up with fuzzes when you roll down the volume... But maybe it's worth trying too for the sound I'm after !

TV Jones makes humbucker sized Filtertron style pickups so they are a direct drop-in for a Gibson. I installed a TV Jones Power'Tron in the bridge position of my Strat. It's awesome!

I assume that they are going into HB sized routs. There are enough of those to choose from. If price is a big consideration, you might look into GFS. I put a set of Liverpools into an Epiphone Sheraton and liked them a lot. You might also look into the Dream 180s.

If price were not an object, I would echo the suggestion of the TV Jones Power'Tron in HB mode. I put them into my Guild Starfire and they definitely aren't going anywhere.

One possible issue is that i don't think Filter'trons play so nicely with fuzz. They are a strange thing, the Filter'trons - they can sound incredible in the right context but I have had to work hard to get the best out of them. In comparison P90s are easy - they seem to work with everything. Filter'trons are a lot fussier IME. Just finding the right overdrive can be a test. When you get it right it's a beautiful thing, but it can take a while.

Dynasonics....no question

One possible issue is that i don't think Filter'trons play so nicely with fuzz. They are a strange thing, the Filter'trons - they can sound incredible in the right context but I have had to work hard to get the best out of them. In comparison P90s are easy - they seem to work with everything. Filter'trons are a lot fussier IME. Just finding the right overdrive can be a test. When you get it right it's a beautiful thing, but it can take a while.

– JimmyR

Not so with the pre FMIC ceramic FilterTrons. I have them in my Champagne Jet and they scream with dirt and fuzz.

Register Sign in to join the conversation