Pickups

Wanna trade DynaSonics?

I have a pair of stock Gretsch (Tokiwa-made) Dynas, originally in my Jet and replaced years ago with Seymour Dynas. They're as new, and GOLD.

I need a pair of similar Dynas but in SILVER/CHROME housings, and in similar-ish condition.

I know I could pretty easily compound the plating off the housings I have, but that would leave the metal wholly unprotected - and maybe waste the goldness that someone might want.

Whaddaya got?

FWIW, I removed the gold plating on one of these, and it's chrome underneath. No issues after more than ten years.

That’s good info. I may just go that way.

What did you use for the removal? I tried Mothers Billet Polish on a section of the bottom of one yesterday, and it worked pretty well. I’d just be open to something faster.

FWIW, I removed the gold plating on one of these, and it's chrome underneath. No issues after more than ten years.

– seadevil

Are you sure it’s chrome and not nickel?

There's an odd mixture of nickel, steel, chrome, and aluminum going on with all of those various parts. All I know is that the pickup cover is probably the second shiniest thing, after the body of the Bigsby. I took most of the gold off the knobs too, and they look like nickel: warmer and less shiny, prone to a little oxidation. It's a different finish from the cover, and there's some residual gold in the knurled sections.

I used Noxon to remove the gold, IIRC. It worked really fast!

Brasso. Works a treat if you've accidentally bought a guitar with gold metal parts

Register Sign in to join the conversation