Pickups

Volume pots and pickups

So if you want to brighten up a guitar's/pickup's sound you typically put a larger volume pot on it. 60s Gretsch's typically use a 500k paired with hilotrons or filtertrons. However they have 3 volume knobs, one for each pickup and a master volume. Which would you switch? Or would it have to be ALL of them?

I would change all of them. Since they're in parallel, changing only one won't​ make much of a difference.

Then there's the classic caveat of try it and see what you like

What about the olf standby brightener cap/no bleed cap, as it is sometimes called. Does this have anything to do with it /

I'm in the 1 meg camp now with all the pots on my Dynasonic Duo Jet. I even changed the tone pot.

I don't think it'll make it brighter, but it'll make it a little louder and fuller. Original 50's Dynas came with all 1 meg linear pots. They also had a 2200 ohm resistor in series with each pickup.

Thanks Billy Zoom Is the 2.2k resistor some sort of signal attenuation thing?

Thanks Billy Zoom Is the 2.2k resistor some sort of signal attenuation thing?

– Toxophilite

Not quite. It's a damper, otherwise the pickup (inductor) would become a resonant circuit with the combined capacitance of the cable and the amplifier input when the volume control(s) is(are) way up.

Register Sign in to join the conversation