Pickups

Vintage Dynasonic Question

Does anyone know if the old late 50's - early 60's Dynas with the trapezoidal covers (found on old Martin and Kustom electrics) sound qualitatively different than the ones with the 'normal' rectangular covers? I'm putting them into a newer Starfire; the neck's already in, the bridge is getting rewound and should be back next week.

Just curious...

I can't answer that question, but post a photo of the Starfire when they're in! What was in the stock in the Starfire?

I've mixed and matched pickups from vintage Dyna era to sixties Guild white bobbins and they all seem to match in output although some here have said the sixties' DeArmonds have more resistance. I imagine these Martin ones should be no different.

Just the cases are different, I've heard.

I can't answer that question, but post a photo of the Starfire when they're in! What was in the stock in the Starfire?

– hilosean

Dearmond 2K's. It's a Dearmond Starfire Special (not a Guild Starfire). I like the 2K's a lot, for a P-90 style pup they're great. But in the neck position it made a great 'jazz' pup but was sort of a one trick pony.

That's the Martin version you have there, the Kustom ones have a different cover. They usually read hotter (higher DC resistance), but sound the same or very similar.

Is the only difference the covers? (I'm assuming yes.) Post a photo of the backs if you can.

It's just the cover that is different.

yeah, cover..tho that bit of extra metal shielding does affect tone!!!!...like why tele neck pups have covers..every little thing counts, notwithstanding the aesthetics of looks

cheers

Agree, just the cover.

I have a set of what seem to be 60s NOS dynas with straight Gretsch covers (even though Gretsch was finished with dynas after '57), as well as a pair of 60s Kustom vintage dynas (that at one point I had in a DuoJet). Both pickup sets sound identical to my ears.

Walter is right, they're hotter (my sets are 12k-13k across the board). These are a good deal more punchy / beefier than the 50s Gretsch dynas that are in my '56 6120. Not necessarily better, just a lot more punch.

Do ANY of the modern pickups sound like or at least VERY close to the 50's Dynas ? ? ?

Sure, the Duncans and TV jones versions sound pretty close.

Duncans sound closest to the originals, but I wouldn't do business with him again. His quality control is poor, and his customer servce is horrible. I ended up throwing away the last Duncan DeArmond I bought (at list price) because it's wasn't useable and they wouldn't return my calls.

Tom's T-Armonds sound a little warmer and smoother than the originals, so it depends on what you're after...warts and all original sound, or a slightly improved version.

"Warts and All"....LOL.....the sound Jeff Beck gets from his Duo Jet on the youtube video showing some of his guitar collection.

Do ANY of the modern pickups sound like or at least VERY close to the 50's Dynas ? ? ?

– Naquat

I don't know how much the Gretsch Dynasonics sound like the 1950s version but I do know that I really like them. I've thought about swapping them out a few times in my 2011 Duo Jet but every time I plug in and play I like the sound.

Tone... a lot of it is in the setup. Dynas need spacers!

Register Sign in to join the conversation