Pickups

Upgraded To Ed Elliot Mosrite Pickups

As you might know from other threads I have a 1967/68 Morales Mosrite. It sounded good as is but I recently found a set of Ed Elliot Mosrite pickups I purchased off eBay about 15 years ago for a Dillion Mosrite copy. Misplaced but now found.

I'm not Mr. Electronics Wiz but I can do a little soldering so I did it myself to save $50 to have a tech install them. Much to my surprise I didn't screw it up.

First off, I love this guitar and secondly these pickups make it sound even better.

Oh resistance is 12 and change for both pickups. Thought the bridge would be more.

On the stock pickups they were both 8 and change.

I've got a set in my Noble, they're seriously nuts! I think mine measured around 11k & 13k.

Fritz when you say around, do you mean the neck and bridge are about 11 and 13 respectively or both are about 11 or 13?

I wonder why he sold me them at the same resistance for both rather than hotter bridge? Maybe vintage Mosrites have equal neck and bridge resistance.

I like your guitar. So your pickups are by Elliot? M3 California make or made them but I think they are out of business as of late summer.

I never heard of a Noble brand guitar but it is nice. Did you have to route to make them fit?

Mine fit the actual pickup but the rings on the new were slightly bigger so had to redrill holes on the neck only but not bridge for some reason.

I seem to remember them as being 11 and 13 respectively, but it's been a while. I have a '66 Mosrite Joe Maphis, but it's apart right now so I can't measure them. I do have a set of M-3s that are waiting to go into another project.

As far as the Noble is concerned it's a Japanese model from the mid-60s that to me is Mosrite Combo/Fender offset inspired. The stock pickups were not so good as the neck pickup had much more output than the bridge pickup. I did have to route a little bit for the Ed Elliotts but I modified the pickup rings to use the existing holes so I could put it back to the original configuration without any obvious changes.

Bob Shade at Hallmark makes the pu's too. I've heard the Hallmarks have been measured at up to 14K on the bridge pu. They do sound great; RJ Ronquillo has some real nice stuff up on You Tube demoing a Hallmark Mosrite. Superb crystal clear cleans and surprisingly good OD sounds.

I'm not sure if M3 is still making pickups, but if they are, they'd be my first choice, with Ed's pickups a close second. Glad to hear that some people like the Hallmark pickups as well.

Here is a pic.

– ThePolecats

Looks so good !- sound demo? or link to?

Looks so good !- sound demo? or link to?

– eCastro

Thanks. It's quite a guitar. I don't have a mic or any recording software but if I did I would.

You get Ventures tones and B-52 tones. Amazingly good tone and nice guitar. If I eventually get a mic I will post a sound sample. Good idea you have.

I'm not sure if M3 is still making pickups, but if they are, they'd be my first choice, with Ed's pickups a close second. Glad to hear that some people like the Hallmark pickups as well.

– Mel Waldorf

Email bounces back when sent to them and no website anymore so I think the company and pickups are kaput. Too bad since they always got great reviews.

Register Sign in to join the conversation