Pickups

Upgrade Y2K ceramic filtertrons to TV Jones Classics?

Hey folks, new poster here. I have a 1957 Silverjet that had been butchered before I bought it in 1990. I had it restored about 20 years ago & replaced the anemic sounding humbuckers with the stock filtertrons of the day - Japanese made ceramics I believe. The sound is kinda thick & warm compared to my Nash Tele that I use as my workhorse, but I find the bottom end a bit wooly & indistinct in the mix. Nice contrast to the Tele tho.

Meanwhile, a pair of lightly used TV Jones Classics has just come up for sale near me (Melbourne, Australia). I'm tempted to upgrade if it improves the clarity of the filtertrons without compromising the contrast I get to the alnico Lollars in my tele, which have heaps of cut & chime. What'dya reckon?

These guys....

Do it. If you really like the ceramics more, then you can re-sell the TVJones, but I bet you won't.

Tru enough - that's the big advantage of buying used

It’s not going to make the Jet sound remotely like a Tele, but it will make it sound much more like a vintage Jet. Neither thick nor warm are words it would occur to me to apply to a Jet with proper Filter’Trons. It will be bright and chimey, with a relaxed midrange in comparison with ceramics. Definitely not wooly or indistinct in the lows - and not big and fat.

I find TV Classics to be balanced and articulate (for my purposes), but they’re going to change the character of the guitar. It will be more defined, focused, refined - and politer. Not as hairy. I can imagine, by comparison to your current pickups, that you might consider the TVs a mite thin. It’ll take different EQ and gain to make them rock. They’ll definitely do it - but on their own terms.

I usually prefer the slightly hotter Classic Plus at the bridge...and if a neck ‘tron seems less authoritative than I like, a Super’Tron is ideal.

But I understand you have a used opportunity, and don’t have the luxury of choosing from TV’s entire menu, so those contingencies may be moot.

Short version: if you don’t already have hands-on personal experience with TV Classics, to know if you’ll like their behavior in a Jet - buy them. They are going to make a significant difference, and you’ll then have enough information to decide whether to stand pat or make more moves. And they’re always easily re-sold.

It’s not going to make the Jet sound remotely like a Tele, but it will make it sound much more like a vintage Jet. Neither thick nor warm are words it would occur to me to apply to a Jet with proper Filter’Trons. It will be bright and chimey, with a relaxed midrange in comparison with ceramics. Definitely not wooly or indistinct in the lows - and not big and fat.

I find TV Classics to be balanced and articulate (for my purposes), but they’re going to change the character of the guitar. It will be more defined, focused, refined - and politer. Not as hairy. I can imagine, by comparison to your current pickups, that you might consider the TVs a mite thin. It’ll take different EQ and gain to make them rock. They’ll definitely do it - but on their own terms.

I usually prefer the slightly hotter Classic Plus at the bridge...and if a neck ‘tron seems less authoritative than I like, a Super’Tron is ideal.

But I understand you have a used opportunity, and don’t have the luxury of choosing from TV’s entire menu, so those contingencies may be moot.

Short version: if you don’t already have hands-on personal experience with TV Classics, to know if you’ll like their behavior in a Jet - buy them. They are going to make a significant difference, and you’ll then have enough information to decide whether to stand pat or make more moves. And they’re always easily re-sold.

– Proteus

Thanks for the considered reply. Bit concerned about finding TVs 'thin' in comparision, but I like the overall advice to buy used, try out & maybe re-sell. I've had this guitar for 30 years, so fascinated to hear it close to it's original tone (even if it had DeArmonds originally).

Beautiful guitar. Try the Classics out and then come to your senses and get some T-Armonds.

Thanks for the replies folks - lot's of useful input. I'm buying the used TV J Classics. Will give me options & I'll see how I go from there.

A ‘57 Jet should have Dynas

Register Sign in to join the conversation