Pickups

Under $20 P90 Recommendation

A friend of mine tried all of the high end P90s in his SG and ended up settling on a $30 set of Artec Giovannis.

A friend of mine tried all of the high end P90s in his SG and ended up settling on a $30 set of Artec Giovannis.

– JBGretschGuy

Not surprising, I think. Ultimately I think name brand loyalty drives some purchasing decisions although in a blind test I'm sure nobody could ID a name brand pickup against a no-name pickup.

Because we all have different ears, brains, and expectations I'd love to hear more sound clips from all different kinds of pickups.

"Your" sound is not "my" sound and what you hear is not what I hear, so it stands to reason that it's different strokes for different folks.

Not exactly sub-$20, but this (oh, OK, and Scotty Moore) is the definitive sound of a P90 to me. I suppose the guitar — and the player — help. I've posted this before but you can't have too much of a good thing.

Dave K, that's Kid Ramos on guitar. I been watching him lately playing guitar on YouTube, playing a Harmony. Like it. I actually saw him play guitar at Deke Dickerson's Geek Fest years ago. Not sure if he was on the bill or he just showed up but he was great. I think he played a Tele that day but not for sure I remember the guitar but he was great I recall that.

Not exactly sub-$20, but this (oh, OK, and Scotty Moore) is the definitive sound of a P90 to me. I suppose the guitar — and the player — help. I've posted this before but you can't have too much of a good thing.

– Dave_K

This is just the sh*t. Amazing sound he gets with that jazz box. Ranks to some of the best I heard..thank you for posting the video! Cant see if it is an old epi or an es-3XX (as I can remember) which was a pre 60's switchmaster L5 without the switchmaster selector switch. The center headstock looks gibson. What I find really hillarious, is to see the same player pick up a tele and strat and the sound loses all the punch. I proved it to myself eons ago playing LP and L5 with strat and tele players in the same band. The L5 and Les Paul always drilled it home to the audience while the strat and tele went ting ting plonk plink and got lost in the mix. I love teles and strats but when the rubber hits the road live you better know how to beef up your strat or tele. A very good example of this is a concert with Roy Buchanan, Albert Collins and Lonnie Mac together. Albert Collins has a neck humbucker and usually plays neck + bridge, Lonnie of course plays pafs and Roy as genius as he is matched up with a pair of tele single coils. Well, listen for yourself what happens. Albert has no problem with his tele while Roy sounds like a mosquito, since the more you have to compete with humbucker midrange blaring around you, the contrast makes you sound like a mosquito and the more you turn it up the more schril and mosquitolike it gets. That is the days when we just plugged into an amp of course without beefing out our strats and teles with gerrymandery and could actually play without peeeedddaaallls... It is not just the mix. Strat single coils are notorious to disappear once a humbucker competes in a mix. See the video here: Link A sly fox like Collins has that overloard powerful Super Reverb he can make up for whatever the tele might miss. Collins put a smile on my face whenever I see him doing that with a tele.

Register Sign in to join the conversation