Pickups

TVJones HTs vs Gretsch HiLo Trons

Speak to me, you men of knowledge and wealth. How do these pickups compare?

I tend to play clean and whatever pickups I get will be replacing 1999 ceramic Filtertrons.

Can't compare the two, but I had a TV HiLo in the neck position of a 6120.

Best sounding neck pup that was ever in that guitar. Clean and crisp. Perfect IMO.

TV says to raise his HiLos to as close to the strings as you can get them, and you will like what you hear. He was correct.

Best of luck.

Can't compare the two, but I had a TV HiLo in the neck position of a 6120.

Best sounding neck pup that was ever in that guitar. Clean and crisp. Perfect IMO.

TV says to raise his HiLos to as close to the strings as you can get them, and you will like what you hear. He was correct.

Best of luck.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

What did you have in the bridge position and how well balanced (or not) was the set. And thanks!

What did you have in the bridge position and how well balanced (or not) was the set. And thanks!

– Mr_Christopher

Believe it or not, a Dyna! Lol

No balance issues, and together they sounded heavenly to my ears.

I had a G6119T-62HT with the stock HiLo's, and currently I have a Vintage Select G6119T-62 with TV HiLo's. The TV's have a bit more output and are a little more balanced, but they sound every bit like a HiLo'Tron. I find them to be a great p'up for both clean and dirty, but they do shine when played clean.

Add me to the Hilotron fanboy list. I have a 2005 Tennessee Rose. I love the clarity of the pickups and how they sound great clean or dirty. I don't have any experience comparing them to the TV Jones HT, but try 'em, you just might like them alot. They are different from all the others, but in a good way. However, YMMV!

If I pull the trigger these will be going in my 1999 Tennessee Rose, I have a 5420 will TV classics and I don’t want two Filtertron guitars, I want a distinct difference in sound so the single coils have my attention

I had a set of HTs in a 6118T for years. Great pickups! A tad more output than the stock Hilo'trons, and better balance between neck and bridge. Clear, even frequency response, and the highs are very natural sounding with no harshness. I like how they sound with overdrive as well. The other plus is that they are not noisy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation