Pickups

TVJ Power’Tron Questions

Has anyone tried a split coil TV Jones Power'Tron? Were you pleased with the single coil tone?

Likewise, has onyone tried the TVJ Power'Tron in the PAF-style format? Any difference in tone from a Filter'Tron style format?

Thanks

I have a set of Power'Trons in HB format in my Guild Starfire and absolutely love them. I've never compared them to PTs in Gretsch format for a comparison. They would have different responses from a hollow body Gretsch since the Starfire V is a semi-hollow.

I have an HB sized TV Jones Power'Tron in my Strat. It sounds great. I imagine splitting the coils would give you a HiLotron vibe.

I think its safe and possible to remove one row of the pole screws to try out the effect of a coil split. Turns your powertron into a single coil with a hum cancelling dummy coil. Many guys did it with the Gretsch Buckers with success

Intriguing questions. Some years ago, I acquired a PowerTenny with a set of PowerTrons, which I quickly replaced with TV Classics. The PTs were very nice pickups, they just didn't fit my playing style. That said, a single coil would be pretty cool, I imagine. Do you know if it's been done?

And what do you mean by "in the PAF-style format" ? The TVJ standard issue?

Intriguing questions. Some years ago, I acquired a PowerTenny with a set of PowerTrons, which I quickly replaced with TV Classics. The PTs were very nice pickups, they just didn't fit my playing style. That said, a single coil would be pretty cool, I imagine. Do you know if it's been done?

And what do you mean by "in the PAF-style format" ? The TVJ standard issue?

– redrocker

I assumed he meant in the same size as the Gibson humbuckers, as in the picture of my Guild above.

Yes, I meant the casing like this:

I found an old GDP thread where Tom comments that the middle position with coil splits to both pickups sounded good. No commentary on tone when bridge or neck are selected alone.

I'm also looking into the Fralin Unbucker as an option. The guitar in question has Gibson Classic 57s in it and comes from the factor with split coil as an option. The pickups sound OK in dual & split coil operation, but not great.

Register Sign in to join the conversation