Pickups

TV T-Armonds question

For all you TV Jones T-Armond users, how is the noise (hum) level of these pups compared to the stock Gretsch dynasonics?

Can't compare it to the current Dynas but the T'Armond is a rather quiet single coil.

For all you TV Jones T-Armond users, how is the noise (hum) level of these pups compared to the stock Gretsch dynasonics?

-- journeyman

really reduced microphonics and I order them with reverse winding on the neck so middle is totally hum cancelling. Stock Dynas need to go away and tvjones become the standard, or the dynas need to pay attention to the new benchmark. my 2 cents installing them in both an SSVLO and telecaster and having owned a roundup with stock dynas and growing up playing DeArmonds. (i dont play roundwounds or chet atkins style music, mostly because that requires real talent like Richard Hudson has)

I just got a pair of these pickups for my Pro Jet. I have some Guitar Fetish GFS NYII pickups installed and they are really bright and good sounding, but they make way too much noise when I stray from the clean side of my amp. Looking forward to installing these and playing some distortion that doesn't sound like I have a bad ground, haha.

I also have a question. The instructions say to install them with poles facing north. I thought you would want to face the bridge south and the neck north. Any input on this?

Also, Tavo I see you mentioned that you ordered your neck with reverse winding, but I didn't see that option when I ordered it. I just assumed it was already like that. The website mentions "switchable wiring" to fix any phase issues. Is that all I need to do?

call them and be sure to get the reverse wound as then the middle pos is NICE and quiet!

Tavo said: "Stock Dynas need to go away and tvjones become the standard, or the dynas need to pay attention to the new benchmark. my 2 cents installing them in both an SSVLO and telecaster and having owned a roundup with stock dynas and growing up playing DeArmonds."

I dont have direct experience with either yet, but by all accounts, there's a lot of consensus on this point. With Gretsch offering some TVJones filters on various models, I'd like to see them do the same on these.

The T-Armonds I tried, weren't really noisy but I didn't notice much noise from the normal dynas.

I think it's a matter of taste to determine which are best. The regular dynas sound more neutral to me and the T-Armonds had more of a mid boosted tone.

call them and be sure to get the reverse wound as then the middle pos is NICE and quiet!

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

Hey Tavo. Thanks for the heads up on that. I called them and they said that the neck pickup I just got delivered was not reverse wound. That would've been painful if I installed it before I found that out!

Looking at the order process, I still don't see an option anywhere to select that. Maybe I'm just dense :p

So I'll send it back for exchange. The TV Jones folks were really helpful and friendly and I'll gladly do business with them again.

Will post again with my impressions once I get these exchanged and installed. Really looking forward to hearing them.

I just got a pair of these pickups for my Pro Jet. I have some Guitar Fetish GFS NYII pickups installed and they are really bright and good sounding, but they make way too much noise when I stray from the clean side of my amp. Looking forward to installing these and playing some distortion that doesn't sound like I have a bad ground, haha.

I also have a question. The instructions say to install them with poles facing north. I thought you would want to face the bridge south and the neck north. Any input on this?

Also, Tavo I see you mentioned that you ordered your neck with reverse winding, but I didn't see that option when I ordered it. I just assumed it was already like that. The website mentions "switchable wiring" to fix any phase issues. Is that all I need to do?

– Josh Lute

– josheboy

Have you put the T Armonds in yet? What do you think? I'm planning on doing it too, but am a little concerned how they sound overdriven.

Josheboy, You do have to ask for the reverse wound, although I was told this was going to just become a stock winding at somepoint. Its sure great having the uber quiet middle position.

I like mine poles north north and poles south bridge

– josheboy

Have you put the T Armonds in yet? What do you think? I'm planning on doing it too, but am a little concerned how they sound overdriven.

– Matt Vogt

– josheboy

– Matt V

mattv they sound darn rockin and dont go microphonic on you.

here's a set I put in an SSLVO with not only overdrive and boost but multi slap echo in stereo with the amps facing my hollowbody.. no microphonics and no feedback.

http://youtu.be/4uzOCr5aiP8

and t-armonds in the tele w/ heavy fuzz here with wah and delay (scroll to 00:32)

http://youtu.be/vhBUnq2Cbzk

Didn't you put them in both with poles north in the SSLVO? Isn't that what TVJ recommends?

Reverse winding kills tone. Just say no.

Mr Zoom I humbly disagree and in a very very reverent voice would say "when you put Tom's T-armonds in your guitar and set them up as I have, the tone is incredible" ..I dont know how that works with Seymours but stock reissue dynasonics are something to just say no to.

ps. strum.. I look at the world upside down and see a completely new perspective

I love the sound of vintage regular wound DynaSonics. I guess I wouldn't have them any other way. I've never tried T-armonds, let alone any kind of Dyna that has been reverse wound.

I love the sound of vintage regular wound DynaSonics. I guess I wouldn't have them any other way. I've never tried T-armonds, let alone any kind of Dyna that has been reverse wound.

– Setzer

– Setzer

you old vine cork sniffer you! :) I've never played through original dynasonics on a gretsch but I grew up playing 60s DeArmonds so ya these T-armonds hold that vintage bounce and jangle but with more punch and twang. ..and no huminahuminahumina in the middle position that drips tone like farm churned butter and clover honey sliding off a hot fork full of pancakes cooked in bacon grease.

...please pass the hyperbole

Backward wound pickups for backward people? :P

No humming on my side.In this thread I´ve compared Stock-Dynas with T-Armonds Link... ;-) ;-) :P !#$@%

BillyZoom - Reverse winding kills tone. Just say no.

I found this to be true! I have a Squier Tele that I installed GFS Fatbody pickups with a reverse wound neck position and in and in the middle position it doesn't have the same punch it used to even though the tone is good. It sounds like one humbucker in the middle position and not the rich combination of bridge and neck single coils like it used to. For this Tele I don't mind so much because it's not my main guitar and it gives the guitar some versatility. The bridge and neck positions by themselves are a vast improvement over the stock pickups. Certain songs and styles require a great humbucker after all. It's another tone tool in the arsenal.

There is something about the hum that adds to the highest highs and lowest lows of the tone. When you cancel it out it's like using Dolby noise reduction on an old cassette deck. Yeah, the tape hiss was gone but so was the sizzle.

If the Dynasonics in my Jet were wound this way I would not be happy about it because the middle position is my favorite tone.

Tavo! :D

You really need to locate a vintage "playa" Duo Jet (with original Dynas, this is the key...w/ Melita)and have a go at it....you may or may not like it. :P

You really need to locate a vintage "playa" Duo Jet (with original Dynas, this is the key...w/ Melita)and have a go at it....you may or may not like it. :P

– Setzer

– Setzer

I've had this live in Japan silver jet tone engrained in my soul since the day I got the DVD.. the sound of a 50s silver jet with dynas is incredible and having this kind of vintage duo jet was not possible financially.. until the Zoom model came out. my 89' was a total POS. so heavy and sounded like an anemic les paul, and at the time I got it I could not figure out why mine did not sound like Setzer's but I didnt realize the 50s models where basically hollow. anyway while I'd love an original I couldnt see ever spending more than $3K on a guitar. I hope someday to buy a Zoom sig..but I'll put T-armonds in it :)

http://youtu.be/YWjwiScBoMc

I've ordered my T-Armond p90s for the pro jet. I hope I get them soon!

Matt V, did you order the T'Armonds in Soapbar mount, or a T'Armond and a P90? Either way I bet you'll be happy!

I ordered the T'Armond in a P90 mount. I was thinking of doing the p90 pup, but then I looked at my two Les Paul's. I have a '99 special with p90's as my main gigging guitar for my band right now, and I have a custom shop '54 goldtop with the rap around bridge. So I thought another p90 guitar might be overkill. I have a 7594SL Silver Falcon with TVJones Classic(neck) and Classic Plus(bridge), but no Dynosonic/De'Armond guitars. I'm getting excited though. I already took off the pickguard to get ready for the transplant!:D

Register Sign in to join the conversation