Pickups

TV Jones T-Armond Tone Transformation

Well thanks to Walter's suggestions, I just put a T-Armond in the bridge position of my Duo Jet to see how I like them. First impressions? Impressed! I had TV's Filter'tron Classics in there before. I am a huge fan of the Classics. And my amp and board are set up to make Classics sound good. My sound is slightly dirty - clean when playing softly - and I manage to get plenty of twang from the Classics.

Well without touching anything on the rig I plugged in the T-Armond and found that the output must be very close to a Classic. First thing I noticed was how clear and beautiful the full open chords sound. Very good. And the bass strings - wow! I thought a Tele could twang... This thing twangs like a Tele but it's a deeper, ruder twang. The trebles are so clear but still chunky.

The thing I love about TV Classics is that you can get twang but when you hit them harder there is that amazing mid-range squawk that Filter'trons have. The T-Armonds don't quite have that, as they are too clear. I think the Classics are still my pickup of choice, but I am very impressed with the T-Armonds. They sound SOOOOO much better than the Dearmond style pickups I had in an early 2000s Country Club.

Now if only I could get my Classics to have the bass string response of the T-Armonds.... I can get close, but not quite.

Well thanks to Walter's suggestions, I just put a T-Armond in the bridge position of my Duo Jet to see how I like them. First impressions? Impressed! I had TV's Filter'tron Classics in there before. I am a huge fan of the Classics. And my amp and board are set up to make Classics sound good. My sound is slightly dirty - clean when playing softly - and I manage to get plenty of twang from the Classics.

Well without touching anything on the rig I plugged in the T-Armond and found that the output must be very close to a Classic. First thing I noticed was how clear and beautiful the full open chords sound. Very good. And the bass strings - wow! I thought a Tele could twang... This thing twangs like a Tele but it's a deeper, ruder twang. The trebles are so clear but still chunky.

The thing I love about TV Classics is that you can get twang but when you hit them harder there is that amazing mid-range squawk that Filter'trons have. The T-Armonds don't quite have that, as they are too clear. I think the Classics are still my pickup of choice, but I am very impressed with the T-Armonds. They sound SOOOOO much better than the Dearmond style pickups I had in an early 2000s Country Club.

Now if only I could get my Classics to have the bass string response of the T-Armonds.... I can get close, but not quite.

– JimmyR

You can, with the Setzer sigs:)

Can't be done. If someone invented a way to make a dual coil pickup have bass string twang like a Duane Eddy record,.....well....hell, even I would play humbuckers!!!

Can't be done. If someone invented a way to make a dual coil pickup have bass string twang like a Duane Eddy record,.....well....hell, even I would play humbuckers!!!

– WB

Instead of the blade that is used on the dual tron, it should be 1/4" alnico slugs on the bass side. The TK Smith Stratosphere pickup I had in the neck of my spectrasonic should be married to a filtertron. I think it could happen :)

Thanks for posting this, Frank. I love the Dynas in my DSW but don't really use the bridge pickup that much. I'm tempted to make the switch...

– Boss Tweed

I live on the bridge pu on my DSW with T-Armonds!

Register Sign in to join the conversation