Pickups

TV Jones Ray Butts vs TV Jones Classics

Hi there,

I own a Stephen Stern relic masterbuilt falcon with TV Jones Classic pickups. They sound fantastic but I really would love to know how they compare to the newer TV Jones Ray Butts filtertrons? If they can make my falcon sound even more vintage I suppose they are a serious option to try in my guitar. The sound I want is simple: just plain vintage '58-'60 filtertron falcon! Think Neil Young etc. What pickup will bring me closest to that? Is there anyone who replaced TV Classics by Ray Butts filtertrons? Or has other experience with these pickups? If so, what are the main sound differences between the two?

Hi Dutchie, you should ask Sjolte. He compared all the TV Jones pick ups at the last Euro Round Up.
I remember the Ray Butts sounding great. But I'm sure he can tell you more about the nuances.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

PAF Filterons sound markedly (and preferably) different to me than TV Classics. If the Ray Butts pups are a match for PAFs, I was thinking of adding them to a Tenny now running Classics.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

PAF Filterons sound markedly (and preferably) different to me than TV Classics. If the Ray Butts pups are a match for PAFs, I was thinking of adding them to a Tenny now running Classics.

– redrocker

Yes, I agree! TV Classics absolutely sound different compared to vintage PAF filtertrons! I prefer the PAF's! I hope the Ray Butts filtertrons are more in that direction.

They definitely are more like vintage filtertrons, in my opinion. I have a Ray Butts in the bridge of my 6120, and I left the classic in the neck. To me the Ray Butts sounds much more like the pickups I had in my '66 6120 (I know it's all subjective, naturally, but the RBF seems clearer and less harsh-sounding--not that the classic is a bad-sounding pickup at all).

Register Sign in to join the conversation