Pickups

TV Jones Power’tron in a Stratocaster

Getting closer. Body is off to Texas for some artwork. Will post back when it is all together.

Buddy, you say that you have to knock down the volume of one of the pickups if you select the Filter'tron and a single coil. This sounds to me like the two types are out of phase with each other. It's an easy fix. You may be able to do it with the Filter'tron if it has 3 or 4 conductor winding, or failing that just reverse the single coil wires - black for white and white for black.

Buddy, you say that you have to knock down the volume of one of the pickups if you select the Filter'tron and a single coil. This sounds to me like the two types are out of phase with each other. It's an easy fix. You may be able to do it with the Filter'tron if it has 3 or 4 conductor winding, or failing that just reverse the single coil wires - black for white and white for black.

– JimmyR

Thank you! I'll open it up and see if I can make that work. I would love to get the bridge working with the middle and neck to its full potential.

The ‘ol swimming pool rout.

– Powdog

Semi-hollow in reverse.

Between the triple pickup routing and the vibrato spring routing, Strats have very little wood left between the neck and the bridge. Sustain and tone suffer when you remove even more wood for a humbucker. There are plenty of aftermarket Strat pickups that fit the original cavity. I like Red Velvets a lot.

I got the body and pickguard from my friend, Debbie. Trying to keep it close to her configuration while adding some Filtertron spice.

Getting closer. Body is off to Texas for some artwork. Will post back when it is all together.

– LarryR

That’s a good looking color combination. Looking forward to the artwork.

Well the artwork is done. Can't wait to slap it all back together and hear what the pick ups sound like. I will give my final impression on the powertron and the DiMarzio EJ neck humbucker when it's all said and done.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Ed Roth inspired artwork!

Nothing wrong with a bit of Ed Roth inspired artwork!

– Tsar Nicholas

Kate the artist, is a licensed Rat Fink artist. I took some Liberties in combining several Ed Roth drawings.

I've put trios of TV Jones (PowerTron+ and SuperTrons) in a couple of my Strats and my Hamer USA Daytona (Strat). I've also got a DuoTron in the neck of a hollowbodied Tele, and I prefer all to standard Fender fare. I get the in-between "quack" tones on 2 and 4 positions on the Strat, and the DuoTron is far better than any Tele neck pickup I've played. Just to be "that guy", I also have a doubleneck 6/Bari Tele Thinline in the works (in a spectacular 6120 orange over flame maple) that's all 'Tron powered, less a single Tele Bridge pickup. That one's still a few months off until my finish guy gets his new shop back up and running.

I'm a HUGE fan of the TVJ stuff in a Fender-style platform. I've gigged the Daytona and one of the Strats, and they're both perfect in a band setting.

The 'Tronned Daytona...

The '69 Strat w/PowerTrons...

This thread ran over my dogma and fixed my karma.

– JimmyR

I rewired the single coils today making the black wires the positive and the light wires the negative and everything works perfectly. I feel kind of silly that I didn’t realize this was the issue and that it was this easy to remedy. Thank you!

Are TV Jones pickups wired in reverse compared to other manufacturers?

Another step closer. She's back!

Hey Buddy - I'm delighted it worked out for you! That's great! I don't know whether TV wires his pickups differently from anyone else but I have found that SD seems to be opposite to Dimarzio. I wonder if there is a standard for pickup polarity?

I remember that I once had to reverse a TV Filter'tron to get it to place nicely with the other pickups in a guitar. If I remember correctly, the stock TV setup is to have the white wire as hot and the black connected to the shielding which both go the ground. To reverse the pickup you separate the black from the shielding and use it as the hot, then connect the white wire to the shielding and ground.

Phase is a strange thing. Years ago I worked part time in a department store in a suburban mall. I worked in lots of different areas and sometimes I got to work in the record department (remember records? . Well in this record department we had to keep records playing the whole time and it drove me crazy because the speakers in the record department were out of phase. So I had a look behind the stereo amp and reversed one of the speaker cables - so much better! But the store electrician found out and put them back out of phase because that's how the colour coding on the wiring was. He couldn't hear that they were out of phase and insisted that they couldn't be. Another case of people listening with their eyes and not their ears.

The 'Tronned Daytona...

– Cmatthes

Man, I’m listening with my eyes to this! Between the red sparkle and the pearl, I don’t know if I even care how it sounds.

Man, I’m listening with my eyes to this! Between the red sparkle and the pearl, I don’t know if I even care how it sounds.

– Proteus

Yeah my imagination is telling me that this guitar sounds amazing.

Hey Buddy - I'm delighted it worked out for you! That's great! I don't know whether TV wires his pickups differently from anyone else but I have found that SD seems to be opposite to Dimarzio. I wonder if there is a standard for pickup polarity?

I remember that I once had to reverse a TV Filter'tron to get it to place nicely with the other pickups in a guitar. If I remember correctly, the stock TV setup is to have the white wire as hot and the black connected to the shielding which both go the ground. To reverse the pickup you separate the black from the shielding and use it as the hot, then connect the white wire to the shielding and ground.

Phase is a strange thing. Years ago I worked part time in a department store in a suburban mall. I worked in lots of different areas and sometimes I got to work in the record department (remember records? . Well in this record department we had to keep records playing the whole time and it drove me crazy because the speakers in the record department were out of phase. So I had a look behind the stereo amp and reversed one of the speaker cables - so much better! But the store electrician found out and put them back out of phase because that's how the colour coding on the wiring was. He couldn't hear that they were out of phase and insisted that they couldn't be. Another case of people listening with their eyes and not their ears.

– JimmyR

Yes it's great! It was already being used a lot, especially as a lead guitar because the Power'Tron along with the playability and sustain of this guitar makes it ideal but now with the phase issue corrected it enhanced its versatility even more. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but Filtertron pickups in Strats and Teles are a great match.

When the electrician changed the wiring back on the stereo amp to what he thought was standard, did you switch it again? I would have been tempted to keep that back and forth going.

Register Sign in to join the conversation