Pickups

TV Jones Power’tron in a Stratocaster

I have a Strat with Tex Mex pickups in it right now. I'm thinking about buying a replacement HSS pickguard and putting a humbucker sized Power'tron I have in the bridge position. I want to wire it with the Power'tron on a 1 meg pot for volume, the middle and neck Strat pickups would be on the second knob which would be the volume for those two with a 250K pot controlled by a 3 way switch and the third knob would be the master tone for the guitar.

There are many Cabronita Telecasters with TV Jones pickups but has anyone gotten better than anticipated results from putting one in a Strat? I'm still going to keep the old pickguard with the traditional SSS configuration in case I want the traditional Strat back.

I was surprised at how good a pair of TV Filter'tron Classics sounded in a partscaster Tele Thinline I built. I used a Rutters Burrito bridge with Tele saddles. It sounds waaaay better than I expected, and way better than the P90s I tried first. The P90s sounded ok but a bit featureless. The Classics sound huge, full of Fendery twang but also fat and they love some overdrive. They sound how I always thought a Jet should sound.

It makes me want to try them in a Strat.

The sound a Strat makes vs what a Tele makes is the reason I want to try this. I'm in the middle of recording and I didn't use the Strat on any of the songs. Other guitars had a better bridge pickup sound for what I was going for and my Jazzmaster had a funkier neck pickup sound. As much as I wanted my current Strat to be traditional I realize if I'm going to use this guitar i need to make it work for what I'm doing. The Strat has a clankier sound for lack of a better adjective compared to a Telecaster. I think it has to do with the springs and the extra routing. I'm hoping the Power'tron will fatten up the clank.

I did it! I made a Power Strat. I wired the Power'tron to a 1 meg pot I installed in the first volume knob position. I moved the Strat Tex-Mex bridge pickup to the middle and left the neck pickup in the neck. I wired these to the 3 way switch like a Telecaster and they are controlled by the second knob which I made a 250K volume for these two pickups. The third knob is a 250K tone pot for the whole guitar. The Power'tron really is a great sounding bridge pickup for a Strat. It retains enough of the Filtertron chime but adds a lot of PAF style body which really suits a Strat with its naturally thin tone. Having the Strat pickups controlled by the 3 way swtich gives me traditional Strat tones and even the middle and neck quack sound in the middle position on the switch which is the middle and neck together. Having the hotter Tex-Mex bridge pickup in the middle is also a bonus because if I want a single coil Strat bridge pickup sound I can use this pickup and roll in a bit of the Power'tron to add back some high end to the tone that is missing by moving this pickup closer to the neck.

The only minor downside is that to blend the pickups I have to knock down the volume of either the Power'tron or the Strat pickups a hair. If they are on full there is some kind of cancellation going on and it sounds like half power tone. It is a pretty cool sound too but I don't know if I would ever use it. I remember reading this has to do with how TV Jones wires his pickups.

Overall I really like it! This guitar will likely get more use now because it suits my playing better than a standard Stratocaster with 3 single coils.

I was surprised at how good a pair of TV Filter'tron Classics sounded in a partscaster Tele Thinline I built. I used a Rutters Burrito bridge with Tele saddles. It sounds waaaay better than I expected, and way better than the P90s I tried first. The P90s sounded ok but a bit featureless. The Classics sound huge, full of Fendery twang but also fat and they love some overdrive. They sound how I always thought a Jet should sound.

It makes me want to try them in a Strat.

– JimmyR

funny how taste is...well taste. I have a twin P90 tele with a Rutters body and bridge, and two 50's wound Lollar P90's, and I love it.

That's really well done, Buddy. Great cosmetic choices too, with the aluminum guard and all-chrome PTron.

It's got me thinking. I can certainly see the merit in a fatter Strat bridge pup that doesn't go all the way to PAF (or hotter). I just don't have a deficient Strat at the moment to try this on, and didn't think I needed any more Strats.

funny how taste is...well taste. I have a twin P90 tele with a Rutters body and bridge, and two 50's wound Lollar P90's, and I love it.

– WB

Taste indeed...the TV Classics in my Cabronita felt kind of lifeless to me, but I went in the Powertron direction to get what I wanted. It's pretty remarkable how much it still sounds like a Tele.

It's pretty remarkable how much it still sounds like a Tele.

I had that same experience, I have two of these beasts, one with P90's, and one with old Kay "kleenex box" pickups, and in both cases, the tele DNA is a lot more obvious than I expected.

Taste indeed...the TV Classics in my Cabronita felt kind of lifeless to me, but I went in the Powertron direction to get what I wanted. It's pretty remarkable how much it still sounds like a Tele.

– Otter

It's remarkable how much this one still sounds like a Strat. Different pickups bring different things to a guitar but the guitar's inherent sound is the foundation.

Register Sign in to join the conversation