Pickups

TV Jones Classic vs Ray Butts

Hi,

I am going to buy new pickups for my Cadillac green 5420 that currently has blacktops. I play mostly rockabilly, country and Johnny Cash stuff in a small band.

I am considering the TV Jones Classic or the Ray Butts. (Yes i know that the Ray butts won't be a direct drop in into a 5420 but i will do the mods)

What are your opinions should I go with the TV Classic or the Ray Butts?

I've only heard the Ray Butts on youtube and to me they sound alot brighter with some spank almost Dynasonic like, compared to the TV Classic. Is that true?

What are your opinions?

Best regards David

Hi,

I am going to buy new pickups for my Cadillac green 5420 that currently has blacktops. I play mostly rockabilly, country and Johnny Cash stuff in a small band.

I am considering the TV Jones Classic or the Ray Butts. (Yes i know that the Ray butts won't be a direct drop in into a 5420 but i will do the mods)

I've only heard the Ray Butts on youtube and to me they sound alot brighter with some spank almost Dynasonic like, compared to the TV Classic. Is that true?

What are your opinions?

Best regards David

– Dave93

I hear and feel the Chet Atkins sound more distinctly moving setzer sigs to ray butts, I hear the chording similarities of george harrison in the lower register. Definitely Stray Cats sound with Raybutts over Setzer sigs or classics, as those are all post Cats sound. Old school country is there too but not Luther Perkins sound much. Got a be a tele I think I can cover more ground w my ray butts pickups than classics, at this point in time.

I also find the Ray Butts to be a better match for trestle braced gretsch guitars, and will still stick to my guns on the setzer sigs for the tone post models, at least in my 99 SSU. You mentioned Ray Butts sounding like dynasonics but I dont hear it, I cut my teeth on deArmonds and nothing sounds like dynasonics except other dynasonics (tArmonds) IMO.

I put Ray Butts in my 1995 6120 and they sound great. Very articulate and very bright. They work well in that guitar because, while it doesn’t have trestle bracing, it’s a tank with a 5 ply top and thick sides. The middle position is to die for.

If you don’t mind doing the modifications to install them in your 5420, they’ll sound incredible.

I have the Ray Butts in my Billy Bo but they don't live up to the Classics in my 6120. Just sound muffled in comparison, lower on twang on the bottom strings, kinda woofy. As regards the Stray Cats sound, I can't get close. Still trying to work this out, I keep trying but it ain't happening for me with the Butts

I have the Ray Butts in my Billy Bo but they don't live up to the Classics in my 6120. Just sound muffled in comparison, lower on twang on the bottom strings, kinda woofy. As regards the Stray Cats sound, I can't get close. Still trying to work this out, I keep trying but it ain't happening for me with the Butts

– Vince_Ray

This surprises me. I can’t get my RB’s to sound wooly unless I flip my tone switch, but wooly isn’t a sound I’m in much need of.

They’re really bright and twangy in my 6120, but they can get mean if I want them to.

I put Butts in my SSLVO and they sound awesome. I doubt I’ll be putting the Classics back.

Oh, and if you happen to be in the UK/Europe I have gold PAF Butts in stock...

Link

I'd love to know why I have this problem, I feel kind of stupid owning a Billy Bo with Ray Butts pickups and it doesn't get played. Honestly, it's not even close to use able. I gig and record a lot (pre covid) and I'd never use this guitar. It's a set up that I'm willing to sell in fact.

I hear and feel the Chet Atkins sound more distinctly moving setzer sigs to ray butts, I hear the chording similarities of george harrison in the lower register. Definitely Stray Cats sound with Raybutts over Setzer sigs or classics, as those are all post Cats sound. Old school country is there too but not Luther Perkins sound much. Got a be a tele I think I can cover more ground w my ray butts pickups than classics, at this point in time.

I also find the Ray Butts to be a better match for trestle braced gretsch guitars, and will still stick to my guns on the setzer sigs for the tone post models, at least in my 99 SSU. You mentioned Ray Butts sounding like dynasonics but I dont hear it, I cut my teeth on deArmonds and nothing sounds like dynasonics except other dynasonics (tArmonds) IMO.

– TheNocturneBrain

You mentioned T-armonds. Maybe I should try the T-armonds in filtertron mount. Do you have any experience of those?

Hi,

What are your opinions?

Best regards David

– Dave93

Hey, I have a 2011 Setzer Sig and a 2019 Falcon. I like the Butts more BUT the Classics are more bright, more punch for more rocking tones. takes drive very well. For a rounded lovely sound, you cannot beat the Butts pickups. and they are directly made from the original schematics! I go Butts all the way

Thanks for all the replies!

I found this on youtube and I never thought that HS filtertrons sounds so good.

How do they compare to the TV Classics and the Butts?

Well I just made two quick videos, sorry for the fumbling playing and lo fi recording. Dunno how much of the acoustic sound is creeping in, but hey ho, it gives an idea of the difference between the Ray Butts and the Classics.

Maybe it's different in the room. The Classics have a rich texture, full bodied and full of character. The Butts sound duller, some say 'rounder'. To me, they're a little flat and need a lot of eq and processing to sound useable. There's a rubber band vibe that worries me. So yes, I realise that other folks have a completely different experience. The pickups are both set up to the correct height in case you're wondering, both have aluminium bridges. All the legendary story, reputation, 'sounds like early Stray Cats'....nah. Its a rubber band sound.

It must be said the guitars are very different platforms. The Billy is inherently middier than the hollerbody.

I know what you mean Tim, I'd take that into account when thinking about the sound. I have other solids and semi solid models that I'd still turn to before the Butts pickup. I used the 6120 as it has TV Classics in it and those are the nearest available to compare. In an ideal world, I'd swop teh Ray Butts in the same guitar

Apart from the OffKiltertrons in my red Jet firebord, obviously a closer body concept.

If you really hate the Buttseseses, I might be interested. I don't have a set, and I'm curious.

i would not have guessed that a Setzer Sig would be hotter than a SuperTron.

And this one

– Vince_Ray

Vince...I can hear exactly what you’re talking about.Now it is two different guitars ...hollow body ,naturally airy and bright and a semi but I can definitely hear that Bo and it sounds like it’s running on two flat tires. But you’d think by the spectrum of things with the Butts being a tad brighter than the Classics they’d be perfect in a guitar like the Bo.Are you using the same stings on both? If using nickels or the like on the Bo you may need to try something different like EB Titanium or something.I don’t know but your not crazy man ,I can hear it too.

And this one

– Vince_Ray

Yeah man, mine don’t sound like that! Maybe try trading pickups with your 6120 for an experiment?

here’s a lo-fi video of my 6120 with RB’s.

And this one

– Vince_Ray

Man sounds like flat wounds on this guitar. The tone knob works normally and the pots aren’t corroded or going bad?

Many thanks for your inputs. I'll try swopping a low E string to start with, just to check I didn't use a set of nasties. The comparison with flats is a good one and it's good to hear Caleb making the Butts sound bright n sparkly.

I paid a luthier who's pretty good to install the pups, if I'd done it myself I'd assumed that was the problem.

But could something be hooked up wrong?

It's almost like an out of phase sound on EVERY setting. Could that be possible?

It's almost like an out of phase sound on EVERY setting. Could that be possible?

– Vince_Ray

@Vince_Ray Maybe go back and unsolder pickups from switch and knobs. Check for drops of solder where it should not be such as touching two wires or in an inconspicuous spot on the switch, pots, etc. Then double check again. Also make sure the other wires that connect switch and knobs didn’t get loose.

Then carefully re solder pickups.

I’ve had solder drop in a small space on a switch we’re it shouldn’t be that caused issues.

Someone who knows what kind of filtertrons this is? It only says "filtertron" in the description on youtube.

Register Sign in to join the conversation