Pickups

TV Jones at NAMM

Those of you who are lucky enought to be at NAMM, did you have the chance to visit the TV Jones booth? Did some long time overdue pick-up versions get revealed?

I was there...and I saw Tom, but didn't talk to him. There was nothing there that isn't on his site...not that I saw anyway.

I was curious to see the DeArmond in a Filtertron sized pickup, but alas...

Yep, the new T-Armonds was what I was interested in. Are they still not available? :|

How many years have those been in development now?

Well, there is the TV Classic in the Dyna-housing bridge pickup on the Synchro Club.

– UmaFloresta

– The Dead Ranch Hands

i know the trend is towards the more obscure/smaller the better

but really

contact seymour custom shop and they'll make you anything!!! you want...and with know how and experience...seymour was tight with guys like seth lover and red rhodes

curtis novak too..not shy of odd requests...

can't wait forever!!

cheers

Sounds like TVJ probably needs to bring in someone to run the company so Tom can just do the designing. Then you'd need enough staff to meet demand. Seymour is an inventive respected builder with well made unique products. So is DiMarzio. The Boss needs to do what only he can do, the rest1is done by others. Lots of companies fail at this point, can't make the shift to bigger company with more clearly defined responsibilities.

My bet is if they released the "filter dermond" they might not get rid of all the reg dearmonds they have gathering dust on the shelf. Im over it. Seymour who?

Years ago Tom went out of his way to make me a set of Black Supertrons. Tom seems like a good guy, who wants to make a good product. It could be that he has no desire to make the shift to a "bigger company". In this day & age of outrageous insurance rates & mass importing, I can see him wanting to keep his hands in the mix & keep things as simple as humanly possible. That's my "guess", don't know the guy personally

Tom is a fine guy and I guess he´s not interested to get the company bigger.He´s glad,what he has with his business.I´ve met him the last years several times at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt,after I become a friend of Tauna,his salesmanager.We had a lot of fun together to talk about stuff and projects. He´s , like everyone of us, totally normal and enthusiastic as a boy,´bout the result of his work and will never come to an end. Last christmas I was wondering to get a Letter from TV Jones.It was a nice Christmas Card.That´s what makes it familiar to me and that´s my opinion: Tom likes it familiar ;-)

I think his business model is perfect, in that he NEVER compromises on quality, builds a niche product(s) that actually sell and is not an "over-promise, under-deliver" guy. Oh, and did I mention that he is a nice person.

I agree; from a purely selfish standpoint, I'd like him to just keep doing what he's doing - TV Jones products are competitively priced and the quality is top notch. I've never been disappointed. I'd hate for him to go the route of so many other manufacturers in this day and age and start licensing his name for a "value" line of products that use the name but don't deliver the same tone.

Sounds like TVJ probably needs to bring in someone to run the company so Tom can just do the designing. Then you'd need enough staff to meet demand. Seymour is an inventive respected builder with well made unique products. So is DiMarzio. The Boss needs to do what only he can do, the rest1is done by others. Lots of companies fail at this point, can't make the shift to bigger company with more clearly defined responsibilities.

– drmilktruck

– drmilktruck

+100, Iv e agreed with that on earlier posts over the years.

Its not about getting "bigger" or expanding, its about reorganizing your buisness structure for better work flow and responsibilities and scaling up enough to meet current demand and increasing customer service needs. Often small businesses, especially operations that want to hold on to the romance of a "small shop," don't see that distinction and conflate the two, to their own detriment. But if you stay small while your business grows, customer service takes a hit and products that customers need never come to market.

TV Jones is a good case in point -- the Dyna - in-Filter project has been promised and hinted about for about two or three years, and its clear that Tom is too strapped with everything else to put a needed product on a formal project management track, adhere to a schedule /timeline for product development, appoint someone in charge of that and hold he/she accountable.

Re-organizing with duties defined and resources as necessary takes it from the "man on the work bench with a cool idea -- lets make some and sell 'em" mind set into something more realistic.

At a certain point, a company has to make that leap in approach, and TV Jones is well past that point.

I love his products and approachability -- he was quite responsive about the bladed powertron idea -- but he needs to transition.

I agree; from a purely selfish standpoint, I'd like him to just keep doing what he's doing - TV Jones products are competitively priced and the quality is top notch. I've never been disappointed. I'd hate for him to go the route of so many other manufacturers in this day and age and start licensing his name for a "value" line of products that use the name but don't deliver the same tone.

– dilver

Exactly! I don't agree with some of the opinions, but we certainly are all entitled to our own. What I do know is that what he does do, he does better than anybody. I wouldn't want a "designed by TV Jones..." that fell short of expectations.

Making that transition from a small business to a large one is difficult, I am sure. Since I was a small business owner for several years, I think I can relate somewhat. Most small business owners, especially those that started from scratch, are probably a lot like I always was and that is a little paranoid. It would be difficult to relinquish control over this being that you created to someone else. I was always thinking, "If I just had someone to do this or that, I could concentrate more on something else." But finding that right "someone" is difficult. I read articles quite often where funds were embezzled from a small business, usually over a period of years. Just about a year ago, one of my best business friends here in town discovered that his bookkeeper had stolen about $300,000 over a period of 3 or 4 years. It is almost always a trusted employee that was trusted too much. I was probably a little too involved, right down to making sure that we balanced every day and that our deposit was correct, to the penny.

Tom is very good at what he does, and it does seem that he is overwhelmed. But making that transition and finding the right person to help make that leap is way easier said than done.

TV, in some ways, is in the situation Leo Fender was in in 1953. Honest folks, great products, but from this vantage point, not willing/able to make the transition from being a small one-off shop to a larger scale without compromising quality. Leo got Forrest White to let him concentrate on R&D.

It's worth noting that Paul Bigsby and Paul Cochrane were/are in similar situations.

I have been emailing back and forth last week with the TV Jones tech team and I was told that the T-Armond in a FilterTron will be released later this year and it will be in a plastic cover, not metal. I know, they've been saying later this year for a few years but I was a little disappointed by hearing that it would be in a plastic cover. I've got to have the look of a D'armond with the sound. Guess I will have to either use the T-Armonds and have some of the FilterTron holes show or give a call to Seymour Duncan.

I love Tom, it's not often a worldwide known guitar guy will call you about putting a new pickup in your 1964 Corvette. For that reason alone he will always get my business. But it's taken longer to get orders and they even missed one of my orders completely. He needs a Forrest White or George Fullerton or Ted McCarty. Jason Lollar has made the transition without compromising. TVJ can do it too.

Red Rhodes, havent heard that name in a long time. I remember him from the mid 60s. He had a shop in Hollywood and was souping up amplifiers. He had some fender amps (a twin and a super reverb) that belonged to Roger Mcguinn and Clarence White. That was before compressers and pedals. Wasnt he a steel guitar player?

Has it ever factored in that some businesses are just fine doing what they do at the rate they enjoy? The T-armond in a filter case is something that is obviously something that just didnt muster enough interest on a broad scale is what I'm guessing. Most folks that like Dynas WANT the look as well as the sound.

In my case I like the soapbar cream plastic covers for my tele and the T-armond sound and response is far better than the originals I grew up with.

Yadda yadda yadda...so how come there was no announcement about this?

Those can be ordered anytime, I had them on my blue hotrod. just open top filters

I love Tom, it's not often a worldwide known guitar guy will call you about putting a new pickup in your 1964 Corvette. For that reason alone he will always get my business. But it's taken longer to get orders and they even missed one of my orders completely. He needs a Forrest White or George Fullerton or Ted McCarty. Jason Lollar has made the transition without compromising. TVJ can do it too.

– drmilktruck

– drmilktruck

Actually, that's not true. Lollar still makes a great product, don't get me wrong. I'm a true believer in his product! But, there was a time when I could call & Jason would answer. Or email him directly. A time when we would discuss what I wanted & he would wind it that way for me. I'm not knocking him or his business, just pointing out that there are certain sacrifices to the evolving business model. Not all of them are going to please the customer.

Register Sign in to join the conversation