Pickups

The DynaSonic Flip

I've had my 2011 6128T-DSV Duo Jet since February 2012 so it's been 5 years now. It is and has been my favorite guitar since I first held it. I have always loved the inherent tone of the Gretsch DynaSonic pickups which I heard are based on Duane Eddy's pickups on his original 1957 6120. However I've found myself always living in the middle position with these pickups in my Duo Jet because the bridge pickup by itself sounded a bit thin and the neck pickup by itself sounded a bit boomy. The middle position took these two extremes and combined them into an amazing tone. About a year ago I swapped out the pots for 1 meg and that improved the clarity of the neck pickup and gave the bridge pickup some more juice but when I took it to a gig and played it loud I realized it still wasn't quite there. My sound is a mix of natural overdrive crunch along with some spanky cleans for funky rhythms. In order to get this Duo Jet to its full potential as of last Friday I was all set to take my tax refund and splurge for a TV Classic Plus bridge pickup and a T'Armond neck pickup. I also contacted my pickup guru friend Sayoko Kuwabara to see how much it would cost to rewind my Gretsch Dynasonic neck pickup.

In a last ditch effort I thought I would try to flip both the bridge and neck pickups inspired by reading Tavo's thread from a few months ago to see what kind of difference if any that would make.

Yes! It's science.

• The neck pickup poles line up directly under what would be the 24th fret harmonics now. The clarity of the neck pickup has increased. I'm not getting too much low end boominess any more. I can play funky or bluesy riffs on the neck pickup setting and it sounds like funky and bluesy riffs.

• The bridge pickup poles line up directly under the picking sweet spot. This pickup now has the body it was lacking. It sounds full and clear. It sounds great clean and I found it can handle more drive than it could before. In fact it can handle as much drive as you want to throw at it.

• The middle position also sounds better. I wasn't expecting this. Before I had to turn down the neck pickup a little bit when I was using both pickups but now it sounds great with all of the knobs on 10. If I turn down the neck pickup I'm still getting my original middle position tone.

It seems like a very small space the pickup poles go from the stock position to the flipped position but it really makes a difference at least on my Duo Jet. I look forward to my next opportunity to crank this guitar up at club volume to be sure but as of now I'm extremely happy with the Gretsch DynaSonics in their new position. When I bought the guitar it was 95% there. It's taken 5 years, a new nut, a new bridge, new pots, TV Jones shims for the bridge pickup and now flipped DynaSonics to get this guitar to at least 99%. Would TV Jones get it to 100%? Possibly. I'm going to live with this for a while and enjoy it.

The guitar is balanced.

That's cool! Glad it worked for you and this is great info for anyone trying to obtain the same results without having to spend more!

Do you mean you simply lifted, and turned them 180 degrees? If so, that's a DIY job I think I can handle

Do you mean you simply lifted, and turned them 180 degrees? If so, that's a DIY job I think I can handle

– Daddy Dog

Yes, I unscrewed them and turned them 180 degrees. I thought I would try this one last thing before spending $300 for new pickups.

Yeah, mine are flipped around as well ,with the pole pieces on the postion .That's how they were when I got it.

Yeah, mine are flipped around as well ,with the pole pieces on the postion .That's how they were when I got it.

– GaryE

Interesting! Did you buy your guitar new or used? I wonder if a previous owner did it or if it came that way from the factory.

I did this with the neck pickup on my silver jet, raised the poles and it made a difference! After reading this I think I'm gonna flip the bridge around, I like the stock dyna but could use a little more body

For stock Dynas, have the bridge pickup rewound, much fatter (I had one rewound to 12K and it was great), and you'll have a balanced set.

Just measured for the 24th harmonic on my Falcon LDS (25.5" scale), and the neck dynasonic is just about right on. Flipping would make it further away in this case.

To confirm: one source said the 24th harmonic is at the 3/4 distance of the scale. 19.125" from the nut. Please correct me if that's incorrect!

Interesting! Did you buy your guitar new or used? I wonder if a previous owner did it or if it came that way from the factory.

– BuddyHollywood

Well,It is a 1955 so who knows? It could have been flipped around many times.

Just measured for the 24th harmonic on my Falcon LDS (25.5" scale), and the neck dynasonic is just about right on. Flipping would make it further away in this case.

To confirm: one source said the 24th harmonic is at the 3/4 distance of the scale. 19.125" from the nut. Please correct me if that's incorrect!

– Daddy Dog

That's interesting. It's amazing how sensitive Dynasonics are to any minor adjustment. If the poles are already under the harmonic with the 25.5" scale length of your Falcon I would think that's the ideal spot. I bet it sounds great! On my Duo Jet the harmonic was over the screws before I turned it around.

3/4ths the distance sounds right. The harmonic on the 5th fret is the exact same note as the 24th. The 12th fret is right in the middle.

Polepiece adjustments are probably in order as well.

The harmonic is only relevant with open strings, though.

Polepiece adjustments are probably in order as well.

– guitarcapo

Yes, I had to readjust the pole pieces as well. They are sensitive!

I remember this subject coming up about a year ago ...I then flipped my single Neck pickup on my old Hollow Body Corvette and it definitely made a big difference....Good Stuff

I wonder if that'd work with DeArmond 2000s. It's not the pickup, per se, but the harmonic distance.

As a strat bridge pickup is angled, I wonder how that fits in with the idea of the harmonics consideration? Plus I never got that angle thing...the top E string is not vibrating that much so close to the bridge so it doesn't seem to make sense to put a pole piece there. Had a strat once and didn't like that 'ping' top string sound

Register Sign in to join the conversation