Pickups

T-Armonds or SD’s for the new Dyna White ?

Finally got a Dyna White Bird. G6136T-LDS and she is sweet !

Sounds very nice as she is but, well... all my other Gretsch's have TV's in em, and thought I may as well go for it on the Falcon. Never had T-Armonds OR SD Dynas so I'm open to either flavor.

I play strictly clean, mostly fingerstyle stuff so I'm not caring which one may sound better distorted etc.

I know there's guys in both camps and I've read through all the threads, listened to the shoot-outs but thought I get some input from you guys specifically with Falcons / Clubs and your preference of TV or SD.

The Gretsch Custom Shop Dyna guitars have SD's... BUT I have TV's (Filters) in the others and like em just fine.

I think whatever way I go, I'll be happy with either ?

Thoughts ?

Congrats on the new TLDS, I love mine and I'm sure you'll love yours too! Mine actually has TV filters in it from a mod the previous owner had done... I've spent lots of time with the Duncans and really love them. no experience with the T-armonds, I'm sure they're nice too.

Happy New Year!

Ive had both...neither is intrinsically "better", but they are different. either is a much better than the stock dynas, iMO

Ihad a slight preference to the SDs -- they were a little more responsive and open, a tad more lively but not hot, a little more clear. ..a tad more vintage, in that sense.

T-Armonds were a little fuller, rounder.. because of that when pushed, they had more chew and growl than bite. Some call them mid heavy, but to my ears thats too strong a descriptor -- maybe mid-pudgy? ;) , The SDs actually sound a bit mid scooped in comparison, but its slight: the SDs have less mid scoop than the T-Armonds have midpush. Of course you can pole piece adjust either to taste, to some degree.

The SDs in the spruce club were heaven, and i miss that guitar. The T-Armonds in the maple club worked well, as that was a very bright guitar to begin with.

If I had a choice, and budget was not a consideration, Id opt for the SDs, especially for fingerstyle cleans... On the other hand, I'd put the T-Armond in the right guitar/application.

At that level of pickup craft, the real question is how does the guitar sound acoustically? what does it need? what kind of tru arc, if any, will you put on it?

Duane Eddy prefers the stock Dynas and I do as well.

Thanks Mustafa ! Was hoping you'd chime in as you've had both. Nice 'review' of both. Right now, she's got copper Tru-Arc, but that may change to brass... not sure yet.

Bear, when I had the DE and now the WF, the stock Dynas DO sound just fine, and if I never end up changing them, I'd be a happy guy. Just pondering the options.

– Bear

– Bear

id Duane prefers the stocks Dynas i prefer it too.

I have the stock dyna's in my T-LDS but I did put some spacers under them to bring them more near the strings. 1.5 mm (~1/16") for the neck and that's about the maximum possible without modifying the fretboard near it. the bridge was raised 3 mm but it can be raised to 4 mm. 5 mm was too high. It did a great job improving the overal sound and volume balance between them IMHO

Thanks Mustafa ! Was hoping you'd chime in as you've had both. Nice 'review' of both. Right now, she's got copper Tru-Arc, but that may change to brass... not sure yet.

Bear, when I had the DE and now the WF, the stock Dynas DO sound just fine, and if I never end up changing them, I'd be a happy guy. Just pondering the options.

– Mitch Crane

– MitchC

I had a copper one for a while. Very distinctive response -- spreads the upper mids very nicely but for me it mushed out the bass quite a bit. Brass has a mid lift as well but its lower. I think the SDs would be a better fit in either case.

How is she acoustically?

She's very nice and resonant. The other 3 are all 17" bouts, closed effholes so sound a bit 'tighter' etc. '58, '59, '62 Gents. The WF is more 'airy' and open acoustically and a bit louder.

Not quite happy with the setup right now. Action as higher than the other 3 and frets don't seem to be evenly dressed for some reason. Going in to my tech for look over ... possible 6130 refret (like the others)

And yes, regardless, she's getting a set of TV risers on the stock Dynas for sure, until I decide what I'm going to do. May just leave it be. She sounds NICE as is. Just wondering what the TV's or SD's might do for her ?

Congrats. Mustafa is certainly the voice of experience here. I have his Maple Club with T-Armonds, treble bleed and SS Compton. His description is good. I love it, but have no SD Dyna experience to compare. I also have a 6122-1959 and feel that I have the best of both worlds as you will too. The Club, or your Falcon which I assume is also maple, is great unplugged as well. Enjoy it 8-)

T-armonds would be fantastic in that guitar with your Standel amp! I know the T's sound very punchy and twangy without being shardlike through my blonde showman 1x15 tone ring cab with the JBLD130. I can even stomp on a fuzz and it wont fry my skull like the dynasonics did in my roundup.

Thanks Tavo !

I just listened to the 'shoot-out' vids for the umpteenth time... For what I'm doing, the T-Armonds sound like what I'd like best... at least from these vids. They sound a bit 'cleaner', 'clearer', 'fuller'... the SD's would be better for break-up, blues etc ... no ?

Man i can't wait to get these bloody T-Armonds!

All the best Mitch! Can't wait to see what you get!

I have had the stock Dyna's and the SD Dyna's. To me the SD's are hotter. Not too hot. My first impression when I took my first strum with the SD's was....WOW!!!. The SD's had more twang in them. They were very clear and clean, but with a treble bleed mod on the master volume they can be a little more versatile than the stock Dyna's because they can really drive your amp just a little bit more. They are pricey. If you are staying clean with no overdrive I would start with putting in the risers. I think Mustafa is right on. The SD's are just hands down my favorite pickup ever.

MitchC - "Sounds very nice as she is but, well... all my other Gretsch's have TV's in em, and thought I may as well go for it on the Falcon."

Wow. You have great problems!

Good playing too by the way!

I checked out some of your Soundcloud page.

Thanks Tavo !

I just listened to the 'shoot-out' vids for the umpteenth time... For what I'm doing, the T-Armonds sound like what I'd like best... at least from these vids. They sound a bit 'cleaner', 'clearer', 'fuller'... the SD's would be better for break-up, blues etc ... no ?

– Mitch Crane

Thanks Tavo !

– MitchC

I used the T-armonds in my SSLVO (gone now to detroit) and my current Tele with T-armonds with overdrive all the time and crank my amp with them. I did a vid using like 3 drive boxes with stereo tap delay to get them to feedback or be microphonic and they dont give in, they just cover all grounds without a hitch. that cannot be said PERIOD about stock Dynasonics.

I didn't care for the stock Dynasonics that came on my White Falcon. I was fortunate to find a vintage Dyna for a decent price and bought it. The current Dynas don't sound much like the vintage ones. Whether that is due to aging, the magnet losing it's magnetic strength or perhaps a different formulation of Alnico. I found the stock magnets on the Dynas to be too powerful. I really had to keep them away from the strings to prevent them from pulling on the string. I eventually did something stupid and probably bad for my health with the stock dyna; I took a Dremmel and sawed the magnets in half (the reason I said bad for my health was because I was breathing in all these tiny magnetic particles as I was cutting through the magnets). In hindsight I could have got someone to slightly demagnetize the magnets. Either way, It was an experiment. I liked the new Dyna with the shortened polepieces much more than when it was stock. I could now raise the polepieces/magnets closer to the strings with less pull. I still prefer the vintage one but I haven't tried the TVs or the SDs. I think at the time the TV Jones one hadnt come out yet otherwise I would have tried it. Im happy with my combination of the Vintage Dyna and my sawed Dyna.

I forgot to mention; the vintage Dyna magnet is polished or chrome plated on top and the the current stock ones are not. There has been a debate about polished, rough cast, etc magnets over the years and how they affect sound. It`s interesting to note that the Gibson PAF pickups which all the pickup manufacturers are trying to duplicate had rough cast magnets for the first couple of years.

edit: My suspicions about the old ones being chrome plated on top is likely true as I found a listing for a Dearmond that has gold plated magnets:

Link...

My vintage Dynasonic and below it my vintage PAF (rough cast magnet)

Good info guys... thanks!

BuddyHollywood...thanks for giving a listen !

At the tech right now for a medium jumbo refret and will ponder the TV's / SD's after I get her back and play for awhile on the stock ones.

Appreciate the input !

Well, bit the bullet and just ordered a set of T-Armonds for the Falcon.

I'm going to pick you guys' brains on how many shims to add to each spacer to get them at their optimal height... or string to top of pickup measurements etc.

You did good. I like T'Armonds on a mostly-clean guitar. To me they sound articulate and detailed.

Mitch: I just checked out your cloud - great work. I especially liked your version of "those who wait". I've worked with many in that genre and your playing is more fluid and articulate than most. Great phrasing as well. Just downloaded it. Very, very nice... :D

BTW: Sneaker? Skunk played on some of your tracks back-in-the-day, yes? Man, that was the era of SD, Ace, Ambrosia, Doobies - you can hear it all over the place in that track. Great vocal work- very well matched. Who was your producer?

Again, very nice... :)

gretschman36,

Hey, thanks for listening ! Skunk Baxter was our producer on the 2 Sneaker LP's we did. Boy, those days have RICH memories indeed ! FUN times for sure. Jeff is a total trip. And now working for the Dept Of Defense of all things !

Jeff Baxter - Missile Defense

Register Sign in to join the conversation