Pickups

T-Armond magnet swap?

Anyone tried swapping the pole magnets on a T-Armond? I'm just about fed up with the excessive mids now. Each time I go back to a Telecaster I realise what I'm missing.

Interesting complaint. Would you consider going back to stock Dynas?

I’m interested to know what guitar you have it on and what you swapped out.

Sorry I can’t help with magnet swapping advice.

Excessive mids??? Now I want the T-Armonds even more !!! (for my Thinline Cabronita)

Interesting complaint. Would you consider going back to stock Dynas?

– Nick45

I would, but unfortunately I sold my Dynas after fitting the TAs. I think the issue is more a mismatch between my mid-heavy Tweed amps, and the TA's in my Duo Jet. They come up overly thick and inarticulate, totally opposite to my Tele through the same amps, especially on the wound strings. Ultimately I'm skirting around not having to buy a Blackface amp just for the Jet.

I've got a set of Dearmond 2000s coming in a couple of days which may help. I'm wondring if a mid-scooped speakr could help. I'm currently using a Weber 12a125a in my Deluxe which sounds glorious with the Tele, and mmmmppphhh with the TAs. That said, the bridge pickup is pretty good.

You get more highs by changing the pots to 1meg. It’s a relatively quickly reversible mod and you can leave the pickups intact.

Think you've thought if this already, but lowering the pup and raising the poles helps a bit. Oddy, the fat mid range seems stronger in the larger filtertron sized models compared to the Dyna sized. May try those Greek Dynas, but tired of throwing cash around. Hey ho, it's what we do

Well, it's definitely an amp mismatch. Tried a Tweed Super, one if the cleaner tweeds, and there's plenty of sparkle and a good balance across the strings. Middy Deluxe plus TArmonds just don't work very well.

Well, it's definitely an amp mismatch. Tried a Tweed Super, one if the cleaner tweeds, and there's plenty of sparkle and a good balance across the strings. Middy Deluxe plus TArmonds just don't work very well.

– Uncle Daddy

I'm not surprised, a tweed Deluxe wouldn't be my first choice either. I have one guitar with (old) DeArmonds, and it sounds great with my Tweed Bandmasters (= Super + one more speaker), not so much with my Deluxe or Super Reverb.

I love DeArmond pickups, but of all my guitars, my Starfire with DeArmonds is the pickiest about amps. In the right amp, it's beautiful, in the wrong amp it's pretty damn awful.

I'm not surprised, a tweed Deluxe wouldn't be my first choice either. I have one guitar with (old) DeArmonds, and it sounds great with my Tweed Bandmasters (= Super + one more speaker), not so much with my Deluxe or Super Reverb.

I love DeArmond pickups, but of all my guitars, my Starfire with DeArmonds is the pickiest about amps. In the right amp, it's beautiful, in the wrong amp it's pretty damn awful.

– WB

Wow, I had no idea they were THAT picky! I've experienced this myself (with Filtertrons, even with PAFs occasionally, I've never owned Dearmonds/T-Armonds), but that sounds pretty drastic!

I still want to put a set of T-Armonds in my Cabronita Thinline, see if I like them better than the T-90s in there (which I really like)

I'm talking old DeArmonds - TV's DeArmonds are slightly more balanced and well behaved, dare I say "polite". Most definitely still a DeArmond pickup, but not as crazy loud and agressive as an old one.

About your tele, I had a tele/partscaster for a while (sold it, not too thrilled with the workings of the Mastery Bridge in this context..that's another story) with two TV Jones T-Armonds in the soapbar mount. Great sound, but (even) more like a slightly fatter, slightly louder telecaster than you'd think.

This is that guitar at fairly low volume into a tweed amp, pure nickel 11 rounds :

I'm interested in the difference between bar magnet (T90s) and rod magnets (T-A's).... as well as a comparison of the mids content of the two.

There's more to it than the magnets - a DeArmond has different (thinner) wire than a P90, and a smaller coil. No experience with TV's take on a P90, so I can't be of any help there.

Register Sign in to join the conversation