Pickups

Suggestion Requested For Floating Pickup

Hello all. I like my D'Angelico EX-1. I am more of a single coil guy than mini-humbucking guy. The guitar itself is great but I thought I liked the pick up but I don't as much as I thought.

What single coil floating pickup would you suggest?

I thought of two so far. DeArmond reissue 1000 or 1100. Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian inspired floating pickup. What is your opinion on these pickups and can you suggest another?

Thanks

I have a rewound 50s Rhythm Chief (DA 1000) on my Epiphone and I LOVE it!

I have a rewound 50s Rhythm Chief (DA 1000) on my Epiphone and I LOVE it!

– Strummerson

Strummer, thanks for the suggestion. Wonder if the reissues are any good? Yours is vintage and I wonder how the new ones stack up?

I believe that Pete Bilthoff (Vintage Vibe) and Kent Anderson make P90 style floating pickups. Won't be cheap tho'.

Strummer, thanks for the suggestion. Wonder if the reissues are any good? Yours is vintage and I wonder how the new ones stack up?

– ThePolecats

Haven't played them. Got a deal on this one. Came rewound by Kent Armstrong. Off the bay.

I believe that Pete Bilthoff (Vintage Vibe) and Kent Anderson make P90 style floating pickups. Won't be cheap tho'.

– Don Birchett

Pete's prices are very reasonable and he's a pleasure to work with. It's certainly worth an email inquiry.

+1 for the Vintage Vibe Charlie pickup in a Johnny Smith mount, I have one on my G100CE and it sounds great.

I've got two DeArmond Rythym Chief 1000s on my '54 Constellation, one vintage rewound and one reissue. They both sound great with acoustic strings.

I've got two DeArmond Rythym Chief 1000s on my '54 Constellation, one vintage rewound and one reissue. They both sound great with acoustic strings.

– Mel Waldorf

Mel, I saw your video on YouTube. They do sound great.

the new import d'angelicos come with generic asian made kent armstrong branded floater...ehhh

kent makes some handmade floaters that are far far superior...send him an email

dearmonds are great..but you have to make sure you have enough string clearance on your guitar to accommodate them...ie the neck angle has to be right

here's the great european luthier elferink comparing new & old dearmonds

cheers

neatone thanks for the link. Very interesting he demoed the vintage guitar with the new pickup and the new guitar with the vintage pickup. That's a good way to show case pickups and what they sound like on new or vintage guitars and if the pickups are vintage or new.

See this Guild with the new pickup.

Here's a demo of the Vintage Vibe, compared to the stock G100CE pickup:

giff thanks for the video. The VV sounds more lively and defined.

Thanks, ThePolecats, if anyone's interested, you can buy the pickup from me for $450 and I'll include the guitar and a case, and shipping. And the original pickup if I can find it.

– ThePolecats

The reissues are dead cheap, and they sound great.

The reissues are dead cheap, and they sound great.

– WB

Would you suggest the 1000 or 1100 reissue?

Thanks

Thanks, ThePolecats, if anyone's interested, you can buy the pickup from me for $450 and I'll include the guitar and a case, and shipping. And the original pickup if I can find it.

– giffenf

Thanks for the offer giff. That's a good price and a lot lower than the going current price. For me though out of my price range now. Thanks tho!

Register Sign in to join the conversation