Pickups

Stuck Pole Piece On Duane Eddy Guild/Now Fixed

I just received a Duane Eddy Guild and all of the pole pieces on the bridge pickup were as low as they could go. I raised all but the one under the D string as it appears to be stuck. I certainly don't want to force the issue. Later, I'm going to look underneath it to see if I can figure it out. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've never run across this but I would do just as you say and gently push the polepiece from below as you work the the screw. It's probably just a bit of crud/corrosion. And hey, feel free to post pics of the Guild!

Open the pickup and, as "lx" says, try pushing the polepiece from the inside. Also check the adjustment screw attached to it as it's a fairly complex mechanical configuration and you don't want stripped threads or other damage. A couple of squirts of DeOxit won't do any harm either. In fact, I'd squirt some on the polepiece and leave it for 10 minutes before you even try to dismantle the pickup as that may solve the problem.

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-s...

If you're nervous about damaging the pickup, find someone who knows what they're doing as white bobbin De Armonds are quite valuable these days.

I've never run across this but I would do just as you say and gently push the polepiece from below as you work the the screw. It's probably just a bit of crud/corrosion. And hey, feel free to post pics of the Guild!

– lx

You mean like so?

+3 to gently pushing from behind while adjusting the screw.

Yep, just did that and it's all set.

Good. I'd still squirt a little Deoxit on the poles so that it doesn't happen again.

Is that a DE 400?

Nice Guild guitar, I'm glad you worked out the pole piece issue. I bet it sounds great!

Good. I'd still squirt a little Deoxit on the poles so that it doesn't happen again.

Is that a DE 400?

– Yavapai

I forgot all about that part because I was just so happy it was fixed. I don't think it will be an issue. It was just way tightened down to the kink at the end of the screw. Still have no idea why anyone would lower all pole pieces to the max like that.

And yes, it is.

Nice Guild guitar, I'm glad you worked out the pole piece issue. I bet it sounds great!

– Wade H

Mmmmm.... cherry....

Yeah, it sounds awesome. I just did the side by side comparison with these 3 and it's the best sounding of the bunch for sure.

Nice guitars and a great pic.

I can only guess that a previous owner thought that the sound of the bridge pickup was too thin so hoped that by screwing down all of the pole pieces that he'd get a fatter tone. Of course, what he should have done, if that indeed was the problem, was to shim the pickup closer to the strings by using a slice of mouse pad foam material or something similar.

If you ever have a similar experience, then that solution really works, and is reversible too.

TV Jones sells foam spacers which i just got in for my Special Jet. someone said that they don't fit stock Dynas, though, but do work for TVJs and DeArmond 2000s. i couldn't say. probably worth checking in with TV, though.

Pretty sure the foam spacers work for modern Dynas, and the definitely work for .DeArmond 2000s. The Dyna spacers dont work for 2000s but do work for T-Armonds. Clear as mud!

Mmmmm.... cherry....

Yeah, it sounds awesome. I just did the side by side comparison with these 3 and it's the best sounding of the bunch for sure.

– eltuce

Here's one to add to the 'Cherry Experience'!

Hans Moust www.guitarsgalore.nl

That's a stone cold killer DC400....must sound amazing. No worries regarding the TVJ foam spacers fitting. I used them on an '07 Gretsch 6128 TDS I used to have and they fit perfectly. Easy install too....no cutting, they stretch right over the pu covers and conform to the curve of the top and can easily be stacked to get the perfect height. Can't beat the price either.

Yeah, it sounds fantastic. The only thing I may do is go for a refret.

Are the frets that badly worn? They were small frets when they were first installed. Maybe a careful fret level and dressing would be sufficient? Worked for this 1959 guitar.

Not horribly, but I wouldn't mind larger frets as well. I had it done to the Aristocrat with the DeArmonds in the photo above a bit and it made a huge difference. My X-175 still has the original frets and for some reason I've been fine with it. Anyway, I'll see what happens when it gets set up better than I'm capable of.

It's a personal preference and I happen to like the intonation and feel of small sized frets probably because I grew up with them and became accustomed to their feel. Still, if you're fine with the X-175 frets I'd get a good fret guy to check it out before doing anything major. Maybe a good Plek shop might be a good solution for you?

Register Sign in to join the conversation