Pickups

Strat Pickups in a Mustang

Does anyone have experiences, good or bad, swapping out Mustang pickups for Strat pickups?

TIA.

If you are talking stock -- size is the same IIRC, in fact they are almost the same pickup

are you trying to make it a better Mustang, or less like a Mustang? seems that either could be achieved depending on what Strat pickups you choose.

I recently purchased an American Performer Mustang. It has a wider neck width than any previous Mustang offerings and replaces the sliders that engage the pickups with a three way selector switch. The stock pickups that came with the guitar are named "Yosemite" and are underwhelming in my opinion. I've been thinking about installing a pair of Lollar Blackface Strat pickups, but I'm in no hurry and will be considering other options.

would you keep the Mustang pickup covers with the solid tops, or use Strat covers with holes for the polepieces? it seems that's one factor in the difference between Strat pickups and Mustang/Duo Sonic pickups which as noted above are almost identical in construction.

I'd likely keep the Blackface pickups with exposed polepieces, if that's the direction I choose.

Todd Rundgren used two Mustangs with strat pickups a TON back in the day. He said he used Mustangs because he liked their wiggle sticks better than strats.

Todd Rundgren used two Mustangs with strat pickups a TON back in the day. He said he used Mustangs because he liked their wiggle sticks better than strats.

– tubwompus

I can understand Rundgren's point. Mustang vibratos are the most interactive of all Fender offerings. Strat vibratos are in the middle and Jag/Jazz vibratos are at the other end of the spectrum.

Register Sign in to join the conversation