Pickups

Stat pickups? Jazzmaster pickups??

The offset guitar guys can get pretty argumentative over pickup choices in JM's.

I bought a set from Tim McNelly (Canuckistan) for my JM and I could not believe the huge difference over the 63's.

A set of these true vintage wound pickups in a JM give an incredibly versatile range. Not just quack and twang, but beautiful mellow cleans and the crunch is also there if you want it - on tap. The underlying 'fender' signature clarity is always there, and a subtle twang can be dialled right up or out as much as you like with the tone controls.

Bear in mind however, that a Jazzmaster has two separate tone circuits. This is what ultimately makes everything so easy and versatile with it.

I personally wouldn't put them on a hollowbody, and only on a semihollow if I knew the routing wouldn't break through the sides of the centreblock. JM pickups mount differently to humbuckers, in that the JM's are shimmed from the back with dense foam pads, and the pickup cover holds the pickup down onto the pads.... so in effect adjusting the hight is 'in reverse' from a normal humbucker.

I would recommend spending a small amount on a jazzmaster with the traditional tone circuits and then get rid of the standard pickups. Swap them out for whatever you like - SD antiquity 2's, lollar, lindy fralin, Kinman HX's, McNelly's or whatever floats your boat. The one's I've mentioned are probably the most popular selection with the offset guys, and as I mentioned.... it's a topic that can start a forest fire...

On a Gretsch, I'd go for something that mounts in the standard manner, I wouldn't chop into the body unless it was a totally expendable instrument.

Interesting. I have one of the CIJ “Q” series JMs from 2003 or so, and at the time I got it (2009 maybe), the hot tip was to ditch the pups in favor of Fender AVRI pickups. I made extensive before-n-after recordings when I did the swap, and really couldn’t hear a difference.

Which was fine, because I thought (and think) the guitar sounds great, with the kind of sonic range you describe. It’s probably my all-time favorite true solidbody (since I consider the Jet in a different category, a chambered solidbody).

But I’m all for trying to make a great thing better. If you say the McNellys are distinctly richer, juicier, more chameleonic than the AVRIs, I’d probably try them.

Also, the next time I go in, I’d like to finally replace the white guard (CAR guitar) with gold anodized. That’s been a fraught process. The American version doesn’t work (screws don’t line up at all), and the supposedly correct version I ordered from some cat and waited 6 months (and a dozen excuses) for is also wrong (holes subtly misplaced). Any insight into where I could get one that FITS would be appreciated.

Dimarzio Red Velvets are my favorite Strat pickups.

The offset guitar guys can get pretty argumentative over pickup choices in JM's.

I bought a set from Tim McNelly (Canuckistan) for my JM and I could not believe the huge difference over the 63's.

A set of these true vintage wound pickups in a JM give an incredibly versatile range. Not just quack and twang, but beautiful mellow cleans and the crunch is also there if you want it - on tap. The underlying 'fender' signature clarity is always there, and a subtle twang can be dialled right up or out as much as you like with the tone controls.

Bear in mind however, that a Jazzmaster has two separate tone circuits. This is what ultimately makes everything so easy and versatile with it.

I personally wouldn't put them on a hollowbody, and only on a semihollow if I knew the routing wouldn't break through the sides of the centreblock. JM pickups mount differently to humbuckers, in that the JM's are shimmed from the back with dense foam pads, and the pickup cover holds the pickup down onto the pads.... so in effect adjusting the hight is 'in reverse' from a normal humbucker.

I would recommend spending a small amount on a jazzmaster with the traditional tone circuits and then get rid of the standard pickups. Swap them out for whatever you like - SD antiquity 2's, lollar, lindy fralin, Kinman HX's, McNelly's or whatever floats your boat. The one's I've mentioned are probably the most popular selection with the offset guys, and as I mentioned.... it's a topic that can start a forest fire...

On a Gretsch, I'd go for something that mounts in the standard manner, I wouldn't chop into the body unless it was a totally expendable instrument.

– ElectroTastic

Happily this Yamaha AE1200S I was messing with had humbucker routes originally. It's basically an L-5 Copy

Somebody had filled one in with doorskin, putty and bad stain and put a P-90 in the bridge position. I believe to make a dedicated jazz guitar. The yamaha does have an actual carved spruce top, machine carved yes but solid spruce, not laminated. So for what I was doing I didn't have to mangle anything. Also it has a good break angle with a bridge about 1" high so I can fit all sorts of things underneath the strings, lot's of clearance. I think Jazz master pickups would also sound cool. I'd be tempted to put them under P-90 covers. (I have a couple P-90 covers with no pole piece holes so I could try just that) The Strat pickups came up and were a good deal so I tried them out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation