Pickups

soundhole pickup

What is a good hi-output acoustic guitar soundhole pickup -- some they say have onboard volume control which I would need.

This is a for smaller than normal D-J size guitar, so it's a smaller soundhole I would think.

What is a good hi-output acoustic guitar soundhole pickup -- some they say have onboard volume control which I would need.

This is a for smaller than normal D-J size guitar, so it's a smaller soundhole I would think.

– DCBirdMan

I absolutely love my Gretsch Deltoluxe. Fits parlor and fullsized guitars no problem. Haven't seen one it won't fit yet, even the weird soundhole in my Rancher 12 string.

Does not have on-board volume control though but it's easy enough to add if you don't mind modding your guitar.

I have a couple of acoustic guitars with sound hole pickups. You are welcome to come by and sample them. I have a Gretsch Deltolux in a parlor size and a LR Baggs M1 active in a Gibson J 185 and a Baggs Anthem in a J 200. Swing by and I’ll tell you about possible pitfalls I have run into.

DiMarzio Black Angel here, no Volume wheel but very nice sound.

What seems to be important from my experience is pole positions and string spacing, and this one fits my Martin D12-35 perfect.

This is really not what you’re looking for but it’s pretty cool, a goldfoil acoustic pickup made by Victory Pickups. I hated the sound of the Fishman in the guitar so I ripped it out and put this in.

Lightnin’ Hopkins all day, every day.

DeArmond made quite a few sound hole pickups. You'll pay a premium for them now.

My mandolin pickup doesn't have a volume control of its own, I use a Fishman Platinum Stage Preamp clipped to my belt, for volume and four band EQ. It's worked out very well for me.

nice to see the lightnin hopkins reference!!! dearmond soundhole pup in a gibson

dearmond (via new guild), schaller and gretsch all have made interesting old school soundhole pups in recent days...

cheers

I have one of the new Dearmond ones in my 1963 Gibson L0. It’s a ladder braced all mahogany student guitar so the pickup suits the guitar. Kind of half way to an electric pickup.

In other guitars I have a K&K Western, which is really good for a true representation of a guitar’s sound. I also use the big LR Baggs Anthem which is great for a rock context. The mix of piezo and mic opens up a lot of options.

I have one of the new Dearmond ones in my 1963 Gibson L0. It’s a ladder braced all mahogany student guitar so the pickup suits the guitar. Kind of half way to an electric pickup.

In other guitars I have a K&K Western, which is really good for a true representation of a guitar’s sound. I also use the big LR Baggs Anthem which is great for a rock context. The mix of piezo and mic opens up a lot of options.

– jalexanderdixon

The LR Baggs Anthem True Mic is a wonderful, albeit a bit pricey, acoustic guitar pickup system. I have one of these remarkable pickups in two of my acoustic guitars, and they sound fabulous to me. I haven't found anything better, and I went through quite a few different styles of acoustic guitar pickups over the years.The system has two pickup elements, a piezoelectric element under the bridge saddle, and a real microphone mounted under the top of the guitar.

They can be a little bit of a chore to install, if the tail block isn't already drilled out to receive a 1/4" jack. It comes with little harness ties that have sticky tabs on them, to secure the harness to the inside of the guitar. The battery compartment is attached to the neck block, and the controller is attached beneath the top of the sound hole (both with sticky tape). A piezo pickup is placed under the bridge saddle (requiring a saddle adjustment), and the microphone element is sticky taped to the under side of the top, about four inches back from the sound hole (towards the tail). A new 1/4" jack is installed on the tail (bottom) on the guitar (this is where you may need to drill a hole through the end block).

Blending between the two pickups is accomplished by the the use of a small 'wheel' on the sound hole controller. In the middle (small click) position of wheel, both pickups are on. Roll the wheel towards the neck, and the piezo pickup fades as the microphone takes over and vise versa.

I like it with the wheel about 50% towards the neck (mic pickup) for most applications. But there are tons of tonal variations to be found using the blend wheel.

A Deltoluxe in the Way Out West and an LR Baggs M80 in the Guild. It was a little challenging to install the M80 in the Guild, as it is a concert size (00 ish), but it didn't require surgery to the pickup (as some you tube videos suggest). . .just lots of patience and small hands.

The Deltoluxe is much more "electric" than the M80, but both are still much more pleasant sounding to my ears than Piezo honk.

The LR Baggs Anthem True Mic is a wonderful, albeit a bit pricey, acoustic guitar pickup system. I have one of these remarkable pickups in two of my acoustic guitars, and they sound fabulous to me. I haven't found anything better, and I went through quite a few different styles of acoustic guitar pickups over the years.The system has two pickup elements, a piezoelectric element under the bridge saddle, and a real microphone mounted under the top of the guitar.

They can be a little bit of a chore to install, if the tail block isn't already drilled out to receive a 1/4" jack. It comes with little harness ties that have sticky tabs on them, to secure the harness to the inside of the guitar. The battery compartment is attached to the neck block, and the controller is attached beneath the top of the sound hole (both with sticky tape). A piezo pickup is placed under the bridge saddle (requiring a saddle adjustment), and the microphone element is sticky taped to the under side of the top, about four inches back from the sound hole (towards the tail). A new 1/4" jack is installed on the tail (bottom) on the guitar (this is where you may need to drill a hole through the end block).

Blending between the two pickups is accomplished by the the use of a small 'wheel' on the sound hole controller. In the middle (small click) position of wheel, both pickups are on. Roll the wheel towards the neck, and the piezo pickup fades as the microphone takes over and vise versa.

I like it with the wheel about 50% towards the neck (mic pickup) for most applications. But there are tons of tonal variations to be found using the blend wheel.

– Wade H

It really is a great pickup system. My first guitar ever was a Simon and Patrick dreadnaught that was my only acoustic for a good 20+ years. The 90s piezo I had in it was a tinny little thing.

I finally got a nice acoustic that came with the K&K, so I started playing around with my old S&P. The guitar is so beat up it has no resale value so it was worth a try to get it playing well.

I had a luthier create a bone saddle and nut for it and then set it up to be tuned down a full step. Suddenly a nice entry level guitar was sounding pretty good.

But plugged in with that Anthem and it sounds like a million bucks. Very easy to dial in a nice full sound too. I think the pickup is worth more than the guitar!

It's hard to beat the original DeArmond 210.

Register Sign in to join the conversation