Pickups

Rickenbacker Toaster vs. High Gain

The point about toasters being the most appropriate for the 12 strings is well taken.

I won't play hi gains just because, but I do remember when that was all that could really be obtained new as also discussed above. Some people have used hi gains well, like Pete Buck and the Smithereens guy.

I like the Pete Townsend early Who sound. My 6 string Rickenbacker has Lollar Broilers which I recapped with toaster tops (see avatar pic). It takes more work to get the 6 string Ric sounding right than e.g, my old Telecaster Custom.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any toaster equipped Rics at Guitar Center. My brother has bought a number of limited run 6 strings out of there with toasters. Give it time.

– knavel

It could be I just wasn't interested in Rics that much in the past and my eyes were only looking for Gretsch and Fenders. So my memory doesn't serve me well had I seen Rics at GC since I wasn't looking for them. I guess when I was at Sam Ash that time the Ric was on eye level so I pulled it off the wall. A beautiful guitar.

By the way, how did your recap the Broilers with the Toaster tops? I heard great things about Broilers that they sound just like real Toaster pickups.

By the way, how did your recap the Broilers with the Toaster tops? I heard great things about Broilers that they sound just like real Toaster pickups.

Jason Lollar actually told me in an email that this could be done, but cautioned it would void the warranty. That was OK, since I bought the Broilers used in any case. Back then there was a shop here in the UK that sold the Toaster covers only, so that was that.

My brother only uses Rickenbackers with Toasters. I've never A/B'd two Rics together to compare pickups but if the Lollar ones were not as good, I'd notice. There actually exists a clip someone made where I play the Ric in the pic on the left with the Lollars. I am not keen to link to it because the video is sloppy and my playing is not my finest. But you can hear the Lollars and form your own view.

knavel your playing is good. That sounds great. Love the tone of the Broilers. Love the Gretsch in the back. Hey you have a keen resemblance to Andy Partridge of XTC. Are you actually Andy Partridge?

No, Danny Partridge.

as usual, i'm the outlier in that i prefer the high gain PUs to toasters. with my hands which are inherently treble-heavy--remember that i can't play 50s-style Tele pickups for the same reason--toasters are just too toppy. a friend pointed out that there's a clarity and string-to-string separation to my 360 which is quite remarkable. i lovelovelove them for rhythm in particular.

Plenty jangly! Great sound (and playing)?

I will say the High Gains seem to have more bite and crispness from watching videos on YouTube.

I have one guitar with each type of PU. The "Toasters" sound clear, jangly and bright but are a pain to get the string volumes in balance. A compressor helps but squeezes out a lot of the pickup's high end sound.

The "Hi-gains" are a tad darker, but not by much and, due to the adjustable pole pieces you really can get the strings to balance well. They respond quite well to a bit of treble boost too.

Ideally, I'd like a set of "Toasters" with adjustable pole pieces but I doubt they're coming along any time soon.

Jason Lollar actually told me in an email that this could be done, but cautioned it would void the warranty. That was OK, since I bought the Broilers used in any case. Back then there was a shop here in the UK that sold the Toaster covers only, so that was that.

My brother only uses Rickenbackers with Toasters. I've never A/B'd two Rics together to compare pickups but if the Lollar ones were not as good, I'd notice. There actually exists a clip someone made where I play the Ric in the pic on the left with the Lollars. I am not keen to link to it because the video is sloppy and my playing is not my finest. But you can hear the Lollars and form your own view.

– knavel

That was a terrific cover and I thought you sounded great!

Ideally, I'd like a set of "Toasters" with adjustable pole pieces but I doubt they're coming along any time soon.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recall seeing a tutorial where a guy demonstrated how to "adjust" toaster poles, which are magnet slugs that are evidently just glued into place. Basically, the method was to heat them up, I believe with a soldering iron, to the point where they would loosen up and you could back them out slightly. Even just a little on the G and low E would probably go a long way towards balancing the strings.

Well,i just plugged two of mine in today and no bridge pickup sound on both guitars!

Gotta be be something simple like a loose connection i guess.

Well,i just plugged two of mine in today and no bridge pickup sound on both guitars!

Gotta be be something simple like a loose connection i guess.

– JCHiggy

But the neck pickups work but bridges don’t? Odd having both guitars that way.

Aye, the neck pickups are fine,odd in deed.

higgy- thats a common switch problem...the contacts get tarnished-green...swab them with high % iso alcohol, and pinch the contacts together...you should be good to go...common trouble!!

have done it numerous times over the years..

cheers

I've mistakenly plugged into the Ric-O-Sound jack and gotten weird results too. Any of you guys use that the way it's supposed to used? I should really get a proper cable for that and play around with it.

true stereo ric is a beautiful thing...need a stereo cord...has single stereo jack and splits into 2 cords..for 2 amps...my mentors were the flamin groovies...cyril jordon and our gdp member mike wilhelm ('54 club...rip)..they used stereo rics and rigs...had the neck pup into dual showmans with 2- 15 cab..and the bridge going into twin reverbs...insane huge sound!!

cheers

Cheers neatone,i'll give that go,i was looking around the house yesterday to see if i had any electrical contact cleaner,but to no avail,i'll have to get some ,i only have WD40 and don't want to use that,it stinks!

Cheers Yavapai !

Was talkin' to my cousin today and he has that,so should have it sorted soon!

There you go. My experience with Deoxit and other Caig products has always been good and they last a long time.

One short squirt will do it.

And here are The Smiths Live on The Old Grey Whistle. The 5th Smith, Craig Gannon is playing a 6 string Ric 330 with High Gain pickups. He borrowed it from Johnny Marr, it's Marr's and you can see it in "This Charming Man" video even though I don't believe it was recorded on this. I think Marr played a Tele on Charming Man. Seemed like Gannon borrowed Marr's Ric a lot for songs live in concert. This guitar can also be seeing in the video up above somewhere where he demos songs on it.

– ThePolecats

Fantastic video of a Smiths classic. As far as Hi-Gains vs. Toasters: I have had alot of time with both and to make a long story a very short one,I would pick Hi Gains. IF you have a Ric in mind that already has the Toaster pickups,definitely go for it. However,if I already had a Ric with Hi-Gains I would just leave it there--they are great pickups.

Register Sign in to join the conversation