Pickups

Rickenbacker Toaster vs. High Gain

I don’t have a Ric but since I brought up a discussion on 12 string guitars it sort of prompted me to look at a lot of videos on Rics on YouTube. Just curious what do you prefer of the two pickups and why?

Apparently, toasters jangle better, but if you like the Ric used in Fugazi, you might want to stick with hi gains.

I'm not sure how the Smithereens got their sound through their Marshalls, but they jangled and rocked simultaneously.

Apparently, toasters jangle better, but if you like the Ric used in Fugazi, you might want to stick with hi gains.

I'm not sure how the Smithereens got their sound through their Marshalls, but they jangled and rocked simultaneously.

– crowbone

Maybe one of each on the songs?

I was watching Johnny Marr on YouTube from a video maybe 7 or 10 years old and he was demonstrating some The Smiths songs on his Ric and he had High Gain pickups I think. In the video for “This Charming Man” he played a Ric but in reality I think he used a Telecaster on that recording but I’m sure on a Ric it would sound the same or close.

I say the Rickenbucker beats them all. One man's opinion. In My Short Scale World, I am trolling for a Rick 1000/ Electro E-16 and then see if a Rickenbucker will fit w no mods.

I have guitars with both.

The toasters have a lot of shimmer with emphasis on more of the top end of its frequency spectrum. The Hi Gains sound fatter without the very top-end of the toasters. Want the ultimate Ricky goodness? Cut a rhythm track with something like a 350v63 or 360 (toasters) and then layer on a 330 (Hi Gains)! All of the characteristic chimeyness plus some extra weight. The result sounds thicker than a drummer’s head.

Babjak always had hi gains on his Ricks.

Babjak always had hi gains on his Ricks.

– insombob

I thought so, but I was thinking the mix of Dinizio's strat and Jim's Ric got them there.

Anyone know if these pickups have the same “footprint” so they can be swapped with each other? Was curious because Rics are expensive so if you have one style pickup you may want to switch to the other without having to buy another Ric.

I like Toasters for 12 string ,but mine doesn't have 7.4K Scatter wound Toasters, it has the 11K hot Toasters,which sound darker to me and not at all like a 60's 12 .

Still think the original 60's Rick 12's sound the best though....wish i had one!

Don't mind the 11k Toasters or Hi Gains for 6 string.

Anyone know if these pickups have the same “footprint” so they can be swapped with each other? Was curious because Rics are expensive so if you have one style pickup you may want to switch to the other without having to buy another Ric.

– ThePolecats

All the standard Rickenbacker guitar pickups are interchangeable.

I had 3 rics with hi gains and bought one with toasters. I now have 3 with toasters and one with Lollar Broilers. It made a huge difference for me and I vastly preferred the hi gains.

I had 3 rics with hi gains and bought one with toasters. I now have 3 with toasters and one with Lollar Broilers. It made a huge difference for me and I vastly preferred the hi gains.

– Dave1

Dave if you prefer High Gains why are none of yours High Gain pickups? Are you considering swapping some for High Gains.

– crowbone

I talked to Jimmy about that one night after a show; his original Rickenbacker (the burgundy one) had 3 Hi Gains in it. That being said he's used Les Pauls and SGs on their records too.

How would it sound with one Toaster in one position and a High Gain in another? What would be better Toaster in the neck and High Gain in the bridge or the other way around?

Oops, I should have said I preferred the toasters. Sorry for the confusion.

The result sounds thicker than a drummer’s head.

I dunno man. I think you're stretching it.

my first guitar was a used gretsch annie..my 2nd a new ric 360 w hi-gains...there was a long time when toasters were not available on new rics..only hi-gains and humbuckers..thats why you see many 70's-80's players like peter buck, the church and tom petty with hi gain rics...older used rics were hard to come by in good shape or unmodded...many had paf style humbuckers horribly installed

the toasters came back with the first wave of tribute rics..like the mcguinn 12 and the john kay 381...in the late 80's/early 90's...and they had toasters that were wound to 11-12k!! way way off

the hi gains in my 360 are 7.4k! which is now considered the magic resistance for toasters...but in the early 60's toasters were way less...in the 4k range...and they sounded great..anemic powered...but beautifully toned

nothin tops a good toaster..the clarity and chime...hi-gains are much warmer/big bottomed and with way less chime...

cheers

ps- any toasters wound to 12k can have some wire removed to get to the hallowed 7.4k..worth it!

I didn't know that. That explains why Johnny Marr's has High Gains in them since during the time he played one with The Smiths only High Gain pickups came in current production Rics and to have a Toaster model they were rare and expensive since you had to buy a vintage model. Maybe if current production models had the option of Toasters he may have purchased a Toaster equipped mode. Actually recorded on a Tele but he probably thought a Ric would look cooler.

He's been sporting Jaguars the last 10 years but I much prefer him with a Ric. His Ric many years after The Smiths -

The result sounds thicker than a drummer’s head.

I dunno man. I think you're stretching it.

– Proteus

Ok...I admit it...I panicked.

here's great 45 sleeve pic of that era..one vintage ric with paf humbuckers! an atrocity!!...the other ok...& dead boys stiv b with the vox

cheers

The Vintage reissues were introduced in 1984 with Toasters.

In fact the first time was on the B series from 1982 but these were not vintage correct,hence the introduction of the reissues in 1984.

Oops, I should have said I preferred the toasters. Sorry for the confusion.

– Dave1

I was at Guitar Center a few days ago because I love their used guitar selection. They actually had a 1990s Ric 330 in Red. I tried it out. Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed by the High Gain pickups. Didn't seem or sound like anything special. I only tried one Ric before that and it was about 20 years ago at Sam Ash Music. It was a natural color 360, I think you call Mapleglo. It had High Gain pickups, I recall that much. I liked the feel of it and the beauty of the guitar but I don't think I plugged it in. So my Ric experience is limited.

I would love to try a Ric with Toaster pickups some time but at Guitar Center I don't think I have ever seen any new ones, and as far as used they are few and far between. Maybe if I go to Sam Ash Music they may still carry them. I think they do. I have a friend who works at Ash too so he can help me out getting one off the wall.

I guess on record they sound good but I am no pro so I can't get the best out of them, but people like Johnny Marr who knows what he's doing sounds great on them. Now let me say this the Rics I tried were both 6 strings. I love 12 string guitars and I bet a High Gain with 12 strings would sound good just by nature of 12 strings. But most the videos I see on YouTube are with Toasters and sound great. You know like those doing demos of songs by Roger McGuinn or Smiths covers.

Check this out, very nice -

Here is a lad playing a Ric with Toasters and is six string

And a chap playing a 12 String Ric with High Gains I believe from the looks of it although not close up. He may even have flatwounds -

And here are The Smiths Live on The Old Grey Whistle. The 5th Smith, Craig Gannon is playing a 6 string Ric 330 with High Gain pickups. He borrowed it from Johnny Marr, it's Marr's and you can see it in "This Charming Man" video even though I don't believe it was recorded on this. I think Marr played a Tele on Charming Man. Seemed like Gannon borrowed Marr's Ric a lot for songs live in concert. This guitar can also be seeing in the video up above somewhere where he demos songs on it.

The point about toasters being the most appropriate for the 12 strings is well taken.

I won't play hi gains just because, but I do remember when that was all that could really be obtained new as also discussed above. Some people have used hi gains well, like Pete Buck and the Smithereens guy.

I like the Pete Townsend early Who sound. My 6 string Rickenbacker has Lollar Broilers which I recapped with toaster tops (see avatar pic). It takes more work to get the 6 string Ric sounding right than e.g, my old Telecaster Custom.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any toaster equipped Rics at Guitar Center. My brother has bought a number of limited run 6 strings out of there with toasters. Give it time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation