Pickups

Prismatone/Prismatone II

Out of curiousity, though the players I know that use these are really good. From live performances online I've never been impressed with the sound itself, Pretty well like a piezo. They didn't seem to be that natural sounding. Am I missing something?

If you want a natural sounding acoustic guitar, use a top quality mike. No pickup will sound perfectly right. As soon as you amplify it, it's no longer acoustic.

If you want a natural sounding acoustic guitar, use a top quality mike. No pickup will sound perfectly right. As soon as you amplify it, it's no longer acoustic.

– wabash slim

I know that. I have a highlander in my D-28 and people often ask me what the pickup is as it's a nice sounding pickup, but it's a totally different instrument plugged in. I would never use the pickup for recording.

– wabash slim

Not quite, me thinks. It depends on what you're amplifying: the finished sound or an electronic signal. I see no significant distinction between a mic suspended/mounted inside the body picking up the finished sound created, ie, the music inside the body, or an external mic picking up the sound/music emanating from the sound hole. To me they're the same thing, the differences semantic.

If we're talking about a piezo picking up the various vibrations by being mounted directly to the underside of the bridge, then yes, you no longer have a true acoustic sound - the finished product of the strings vibrations coming out of the amp - but rather the signal being electronically altered, boosted, enhanced, what have you before getting to the amp.

Dave, I think the fellow is talking microphones vs pickups, not various miking setups. Also just so you know most of the sound of the guitar comes off the top, like a speaker, not so much out the hole. From my understanding the sound hole mostly helps increase the lower frequencies. A piezo is picking up the strings vibrations but obviously it is not a guitar top amplifying them. Still never sounds quite real.

So here are a couple of prismatones. Anyone interested.??

Register Sign in to join the conversation