Pickups

Pickup rewinding?

Hi Guys/Gals,

As some of you know, I have a 60's filtertron that needs to be repaired/rewound. I reached out to TV Jones, and they referred me to Lindy Fralin. Unfortunately, due to Covid, he's not accepting any repair/rewind work at the moment. Can anyone suggest an alternative? I'm in Canada, so someone here would be ideal but I'm open to any reputable North American shop. What say you?

I had heard that with the proliferation of new, really good pickups, some the the rewinders kinds of got away from that that scene and just build their own new ones.

To be honest, I kind thought that too DCBirdMan. I was surprised to hear Lindy Fralin repairs/rewinds. I think I'm going to at least take apart the offending pickup and inspect it. If it's something simple like a broken connection/cold solder joint I might be able to repair it myself. I'm knee deep in electronics in my day job anyway. Could be worth a shot...

Definitely worth a look. It’s amazing how many times a cursory look can reveal a simple fix.

I found a dry joint in my AC50 that has been plaguing my for literally years. 2 respected techs had failed to find it, but I found it in minutes. I give all credit to Retnev who talked me through how to find it, but I found it and now have the skills to find another should the need arise.

It's a bad coil. Unfortunately for me, the fault is with the inside wire and not the outside one you can get to. It definitely needs to be rewound.

I'd suggest McNelly pickups.

They're based in Canada and their Sparkle'tron is one of the very best F'tron repros I've ever heard.

Just be sure to specify no wax potting.

https://mcnellypickups.com

Why Huw, you speak with such authority it’s almost like you’ve done some kind of Filter’Tron shoot-out...

Gretschguy69 -- depending on how handy you are, I happen to have tucked away someplace a pair or two of NOS Gretsch bobbins. Possible I would part with them

I've rewound a couple of vintage hilotrons,(same bobbin I believe) and built a filtertron from a kit winding both bobbins. They all sounded good and comparable with vintage ones and new ones.The filtertron went into the mid 60s club I rebound and refinished. The fellow that bought the club said I'd nailed the sound( he had a similar vintage one before) but I don't think there's a tonne of special magic to it.(Start the pile on now) I just wound it to the right specs and used the same size wire and didn't pot it.. I only have 43 gauge right now and can only find wire in the States though there has to be a Canadian source. I think Filtertrons are 42 gauge but I could be wrong.

Gretschguy69 -- depending on how handy you are, I happen to have tucked away someplace a pair or two of NOS Gretsch bobbins. Possible I would part with them

– ewkewk

Email sent.

A pandemic is a great time to learn how to wind your own pickups!

Why Huw, you speak with such authority it’s almost like you’ve done some kind of Filter’Tron shoot-out...

– Deke Martin

I don't know about 'authority' but those McNelly's are fine sounding pickups

Email sent.

– Gretschguy69

Gretschguy69 -- I checked and I do have at least a pair of Gretsch NOS bobbins. You say you sent an email. But where? I am unaware of how to access email on the Gretsch Pages or even if there is email for members at the Gretsch Pages. So let me know the how and the what on email. Otherwise you can email me at erichwolfgangkorngold@yahoo...

Gretschguy69 -- I checked and I do have at least a pair of Gretsch NOS bobbins. You say you sent an email. But where? I am unaware of how to access email on the Gretsch Pages or even if there is email for members at the Gretsch Pages. So let me know the how and the what on email. Otherwise you can email me at erichwolfgangkorngold@yahoo...

– ewkewk

ewkewk -- Sorry, I meant PM'd through the Gretsch Pages. I've decided to sell the pickup "as is". I won't be needing the bobbin. Thanks anyway.

Register Sign in to join the conversation