Pickups

OMG new TVJ SINGLE COIL Tele pickups!!!!

Thanks for the report Tavo. My hope was these new TV Jones Tele pickups were simply better Tele pickups rather than just T-Armond-style replacements. I've been playing my new (to me) Fender American Telecaster lately, and the stock pickups actually sound quite good. If the TV Jones are an improved version of those, I'd be very happy.

– Frank_NH

I would go so far to say if you removed the stock set of tele pickups and put in this set of TVjones tele-style pickups and they DIDNT sound better, I'm a monkey's uncle. These pickups arent T-armond replacements, rather they are a more focused punchy boutique tele pickup...but they do sound characteristically like T-armonds.

Put a new set of strings on rutters tele n plugged into my tophat kingroyale amp, barber burn unit & atomic brain engaged. Tvjones tele-style neck pkup, only.. Flubbity licks aside i dig this pickup w grease! Click 2 watch vid. ..or not. https://instagram.com/p/BBw...

I would go so far to say if you removed the stock set of tele pickups and put in this set of TVjones tele-style pickups and they DIDNT sound better, I'm a monkey's uncle. These pickups arent T-armond replacements, rather they are a more focused punchy boutique tele pickup...but they do sound characteristically like T-armonds.

– TheNocturneBrain

Well, aren't you a gorilla's father?

My B bender Telecaster is a 1997 (before the Nashville Telecaster) that has a Fender Delta tone system. Best sounding Tele I ever heard.

could sound even better with the Tvjones tele-style pkups

could sound even better with the Tvjones tele-style pkups

– TheNocturneBrain

haha,,,in all fairness..why you can never really have too many tele's..so many permutations possible..leo's first..and its still a classic...as keith richards said- leo was perfect right out of the launch

so many ways you can go with tele set up..twang, jimmy bryant...burton/clarence white bend, bickert/ted greene jazz, early "hard rock" ala yardbirds beck and page..syd...mick green/wilko...hari rosewood ala the band.....cropper...etc etc endless

tele is so capable of so much

cheers

haha,,,in all fairness..why you can never really have too many tele's..so many permutations possible..leo's first..and its still a classic...as keith richards said- leo was perfect right out of the launch

so many ways you can go with tele set up..twang, jimmy bryant...burton/clarence white bend, bickert/ted greene jazz, early "hard rock" ala yardbirds beck and page..syd...mick green/wilko...hari rosewood ala the band.....cropper...etc etc endless

tele is so capable of so much

cheers

– neatone

My other telecaster has a 4 way switch where I can switch it to series. Both pickups in series is like a humbucker.

Pt

I have that same setup on my Tele Pt

I have that same setup on my Tele Pt

– Matt Vogt

Did you add it yourself or did you buy it that way?

These are pretty tempting. I just got a used MIM, Lacquer 50s Tele to put a B5 on and it came with CS Texas Specials that I'm not too wild about.

Using pickups like these, that are somewhat out of the Tele wheelhouse, could ease the inevitable "Does it still sound like a Tele?" question you ask yourself after you add the Bigsby. Perhaps I would just like the way sounds for what it is, and what these pickups bring, and not worry if it's "Telecaster enough".

The set of them are loaded in and ready. Took it up to Curt's last night for a listen and it's going to Billy's open mic night tonight for a live test. Sounds great

The set of them are loaded in and ready. Took it up to Curt's last night for a listen and it's going to Billy's open mic night tonight for a live test. Sounds great

– CBell

Cool. I'll try to make it down there. Hear it in person.

Cool. I'll try to make it down there. Hear it in person.

– NJBob

Great, love to see you there. This will be there as well.

– CBell

Lookin' good. Does it still sound like a Tele??

I ordered my set yesterday and will post some pics of the install.

To my ears, it sounds like a better Tele.

Gorgeous, Cam. To my ears, in the demo they sounded kinda' like a "hot rodded" tele, which goes perfectly with that paint job!

By the way, the neck pickup is really very good in a Dyna sort of way but that bridge pickup is really killer good. Very up front and punchy.

So, here you go. The Tele in question with the new TV Jones pickups spent the night at Bill's open stage last night and was played by a bunch of folks. Everyone was pleased and some quite surprised! Live they were killer. I asked Bill to do a quick demo on the pickups to show them off.

They sound like Gretsch mixed with tele. If I didn't know it was a tele, I would guess it was a Gretsch. Maybe it's just the licks Bill is playing, but they sound more like Dynas than they do tele pickups?

Which wasn't the impression I got from the Chris Casello demo at NAMM. Interesting.

Sounds great! ....and, as a T'Armond player, I'm not surprised.

Really like the aesthetics of the neck pup. Wondering if the pole pieces are adjustable on the it. Looks like prolly not but just curious.

That doesn't sounds terribly different than a modern Dyna Jet.

To me, the bridge sounds closest to a Tele, a very punchy Tele. The neck is closer to a Dyna and really enjoyable. Both pickups on is the best of both.

You definitely have to bring that one to the roundup, Cam! I'll bring my Cabronita with T-armonds for comparison.

Register Sign in to join the conversation