Pickups

NEW TV Jones Filtertrons - “most accurate Filtertron ever” ???

To my ears there's a very discernible difference between the Setzer Sigs and Classics. I'd be very excited about trying these new ones and apparently relic versions will be available too.

Given that Tom has established a custom shop, hopefully this will just be the start of some very interesting developments at TV Jones.

I have both the classics and the setzers and agree. They definitely sound different. I'm interested to see how these sound, but don't need to spend the money without even really having an extra guitar to put them in. I can't justify spending the money right now.

Yes, high quality pickups made by a small American operation aren't cheap. Quality and quality control come at a price, especially with respect to musical instruments and their parts (I spent years building expensive harps and dulcimers without making much money). I've never regretted any of my tvj purchases (I've had other project guitars in the past), and they hold their used value well since people appear to keep the ones that they buy.

My HS Filtertrons (HSF) are:

neck : 4.11 k ohms bridge: 4.74 k ohms

The TV Jones/Ray Butts (TVRB) are:

neck: 3.8k ohms bridge: 4.2k ohms

I'll bet they are almost indiscernibly similar. The bridge HSF and TVRB, both use standard spacing. The "output" is very similar (e.g. 90%) and I am 99% certain that both use a 1/4", alnico V magnet. Though I would be interested to hear the new ones.

Got to agree there Otter, I always have to chuckle a little at the "you kill a pickup if you pot it!". Outside of my house or the studio, a truly microphonic pickup is really not of all that much use to me. Nobody likes things that squeal on stage.

– WB

I'm a potter. I pot them all. Need them for the gig. Does not change the sound as far as I'm concerned, which maybe is a good thing

my 2 cents to cracks about marketing

When Tom first starting doing these, he was working at World of Strings in Long Beach, and it was Rich Monica that asked him if he was interested in being part of a blind pool contest to see which reproduction of Setzer's original pickups Setzer would pick. Setzer chose Tom Jone's pickups hands down and they became the replacement pickup of choice for Brian Setzer. Fate also dealt a great card for Tom at that time w Gretsch as Fred Gretsch III was trying to rebuild his family company. Bamm production on a massive scale.. I started my pedal building obsession 9 yrs ago barely knowing what I was doing, and available data a decade ago isn't what it is today. This coupled w a never ending passion to refine and grow is at the heart of this. It clearly presented here w these new pickup reproductions by Tom.

Over time Brian's approach changed on his guitars, he dropped from 2 Blonde bassman amps on stage to one, and Rich Monica changed up the tubes, the speakers, yada yada..

and Brian was also dealing w Tinnitus.. He started wearing in ear filters, lowered his stage volume and so this also probably meant he wanted more from the guitar.. Tom went back to the drawing board, did more research as date has become WAY more available than freakin 99' and voila.. Setzer Signature pickups were on his guitars and available to the public....

These pickups now, don't have a dang thing to do w Brian Setzer though..

Rather they are about the legacy of Ray Butts and his Daughter Katha who is pushing to make sure he is remembered, her involvement w CAAS and working w a young gentleman to get the echo sonic https://www.facebook.com/gr...

amp back in the fray, now asking Tom to make this happen.. these pickups, they go way back.. Take a look at Deke Dickerson blog about the Granstom tele and the Ray Butts intersect w PA Bigsby. http://gretschpages.com/for...

I hope these get out to those that love vintage authentic gear. It makes our ears and hearts happy For what its worth, I have TK Smith bigsby pickups in my telecaster and theres no dipping here.. just authentic done better. Here's unposted TK Smith report bigsby pickups in my Smith Tele going into the blonde 50 watt amp, 212 cab, mystery brain AND STRYMON RIVERSIDE fully saturated.. It held together pretty good considering its intended use, unlike what I just did to it here.

https://www.instagram.com/p...

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Sorry Tavo, that's the last straw... You're Rockabilly license is revoked. Can't have tht sort of thing going on here. Betty Pudge filed a complaint. that's it.. it's over Johnny

Sorry Tavo, that's the last straw... You're Rockabilly license is revoked. Can't have tht sort of thing going on here. Betty Pudge filed a complaint. that's it.. it's over Johnny

– Billy D Light

Bettie Pudge? Doesnt she works for Orca Betties Inc.?

In a separate forum, Tavo endorsed cross-dressing. Here is his spokesman:

Every time I read threads about pickups, I wonder why the specs aren't ran through test equipment. Plotted on graphs. Ac inductance at audio freqentcys. Voltage outputs over time ect. D.C. Resistance alone seems inadequate as total reference for a device that generates a c audio frequency voltages. Microphonic pickups in my mind, would be the only pickups that the design and materials sound would make it down the wire to the amp. If a pickup had zero microphonics, the strings vibration would be the only voltage generated and the sound of the guitar wouldn't be amplified. Am I wrong? Does anyone ever use spectrum analyzers to investigate audio outputs? Or the difference of the same pickup mounted in different guitars?
I would love to see frequency charts displaying the different caractaristcts of various pickup types.

The guy in the demo seemed to be confused by the switches. He always used both switches for all positions... Come on man, leave the tone switch alone and give us the real sound of the pickups... To me they sound not "more Filtertronish" than any other quality TVJ pickup. I'll stick to the Classics and Supertrons.

The guy in the demo seemed to be confused by the switches. He always used both switches for all positions... Come on man, leave the tone switch alone and give us the real sound of the pickups... To me they sound not "more Filtertronish" than any other quality TVJ pickup. I'll stick to the Classics and Supertrons.

– ChimingBell

I thought it was one of the better demos I've watched. For most demos I've seen, the players seem to call moderately overdriven "clean" for reasons I can't comprehend. At least this one had some genuinely clean playing.

Ditto, I thought it was a great demo. Covered picking, power chords, riffing - the lot. Everything we all know Gretsch guitars can do, yet so many Gretsch demos seem to default to Chet or rockabilly styles - which I also love BTW.

As for the guy seeming to be 'confused' by the switches, IMHO he ran that thing like a master and seemed to be genuinely loving it. So I'm sorry CB, but I have to disagree with you there.

Now I'm Jonesing (pun intended) to try a Ray Butts set for my 6120 conversion.

Ditto, I thought it was a great demo. Covered picking, power chords, riffing - the lot. Everything we all know Gretsch guitars can do, yet so many Gretsch demos seem to default to Chet or rockabilly styles - which I also love BTW.

As for the guy seeming to be 'confused' by the switches, IMHO he ran that thing like a master and seemed to be genuinely loving it. So I'm sorry CB, but I have to disagree with you there.

Now I'm Jonesing (pun intended) to try a Ray Butts set for my 6120 conversion.

– Shuggie

He made a good variation of sounds and is a very good player, thats for sure. BUT - he was lacking showing how the guitar sound by itself with the new pickups, leaving the tone switch in the bypass position and just going through the selection of bridge/middle/neck PU sound. That was the thing that bugged me a bit, 'cause every "sound demo" was influenced by the tone switch position. When he had both switches in the middle position he also turned down one volume knob of the guitar (I think it was the neck volume pot) assuming he was turning down the tone pot (which the SSLVO doesnt have). So, for me, it was kinda a thin sound from the pickups at this point of the video which was strange to hear...

And related to the new Malcolm Young Custom Shop Jet; Why doesnt a 10K CS Tribute Jet get the period correct unpotted Filtertron. According to the specs it has a single TV-Classic bridge PU!

Just my 2 cents.

If anyone gets a chance to visit the TVJones booth, please snap & post a pic showing the back plate of the new pup. Thanks!

Dr Nyl, good point...the Butts pickup sounds cool.. I'd really like to hear them live in my guitar...lol

Chris Casello knows how to handle them Nice background info too

Congrats Tavo! Still one mystery to solve: Who stole the switch tip of the mud switch which is missing in the premier guitar vid

Congrats Tavo! Still one mystery to solve: Who stole the switch tip of the mud switch which is missing in the premier guitar vid

– ChimingBell

they did that because Cosello kept hitting, my guess as you see Tom reach over and put the switch back in place just before Chris does the metal thing. :)

@zackydog :)

Question...since TV made reference to the wiring in the vintage pickups and how the impurities in the wiring were instrumental to the sound, how does this play with the manufacturing of his new pickups? And...how did he find this out...did he actually have the wire analyzed? Did he use this somehow...If anyone knows...very interesting how he went about to make these.

Tom has a metallurgist he works with and has scrutinized/analyzed every aspect of his construction. He's gone into detail with us at past Gretsch Roundups. I think there is even footage a few yrs page w Tim interviewing him on such matter. I wish he'd pop in here and give us the low down. I'll ask.

Having had the odd conversation with TV Jones over the years I am certain he is not making these new pickups just to try and get our money. I guess it depends on how you see things. I know that if I was in the business of making the most accurate Filter'trons possible and the daughter of the inventor wanted to share all the details of the original pickups with me I would get rather excited. Sure, he's not making these pickups as a charity or public service, but he IS giving people what they want - or even what they didn't know they could have.

I think having dead-on replicas of the old pickups available is a wonderful thing. It just happens that I like what Tom has done previously to "improve" some aspects of the pickups. Making the bridge pickup wider and taller is a good idea. And the sound of the Classics suits me just fine. I am currently using a Classic Plus in the bridge after years of using a regular Classic and i like it too. If have used old Gretsches with original pickups so I know what they sound like. Right now I would rather use a Classic and a Classic Plus. But to have all of TVs range available - how absolutely amazing.

To try and find a negative out of all this is crazy! You don't have to buy them if you don't want to. In my experience TV Jones is a good guy. A more decent, stand-up guy in the guitar biz would be hard to find.

Register Sign in to join the conversation