Pickups

New Dearmond Spacers and Cautionary Tales

I got moy replacement spacers today for my 55 Duojet from Setzer(Thanks!!!!) and proceeded to install the beauties.This necessitated desoldering them from the pots.Because the old spacers caused some rot, I had to clean the bridge pickup a fair amount. There was some rust on the polepiece springs which I cleaned with a tooth brush and a little contact cleaner followed by a wipe down with some light machine oil(likely just thin mineral oil used for sewing machines etc.)If you have any old pickup rings ,get them checked out and or removed asap. Mine were starting to destroy the bridge pickup.Anyhoo, things were proceeding nicely until it came time to resolderthe pickups back in.Yikes! The original coaxial wire inner insulation was literally crumbling away .I'm surprised that I didn't have problems sooner. I hated having to do it but I replaced it with some quality Belden wire I had been saving for just the right project .Resale value be damned!!! A guitar is useless if it doesn't make a sound.. A one hour job turned into 2 hours but a disaster at a show was likely diverted. The new spacers are fantabulous and the ol 55 is back and ready for action

Here's a poor quality pic of top quality replacement parts.Instead of arcing the bottom where the spacer meets the top ,I added a set of rubber washers between the pickup and the top of the spacer to gently arc it to match the top radius.Setzer made the pickguard as well before I owned it. He's the real deal!

We don't trust the wiring or the hoses in 63-year-old cars...

Come to think of it, my wiring and hoses are getting unreliable too.

You've kept the old girl healthy. Good on yer.

We don't trust the wiring or the hoses in 63-year-old cars...

Come to think of it, my wiring and hoses are getting unreliable too.

You've kept the old girl healthy. Good on yer.

– Proteus

Or tires for that matter...Thanks Proteus.

Hey Gary, I ment to tell you that I can split the ends so you can just slip them under.

Sometimes you can wiggle the ring over the case when it's still in one piece. Gretsch used to split the ends. TIP: Hide the cut end under the pickguard side.

Looks like you had a mess to lean up anyway. Looks great now!

Hey Gary, I ment to tell you that I can split the ends so you can just slip them under.

Sometimes you can wiggle the ring over the case when it's still in one piece. Gretsch used to split the ends. TIP: Hide the cut end under the pickguard side.

Looks like you had a mess to lean up anyway. Looks great now!

– Setzer

I was going to do that but after discovering the wiring issues I decided to just leave them as they were. Thanks again!I’m super pleased with the results!

Register Sign in to join the conversation