Pickups

Mystery Pickups

Here is a photo of a 2008 G6118 Anniversary. I am not sure if the guitar was the HT model or whether it was the standard G6118 model, but I am surmising the latter. However, this photographs depicts the guitar with what appear to be single coil pickups. I am not sure just what pickups they are, however.

They wouldn't be TV HiLo'Trons because he used a silk-screened bobbin with the lightning bolt much like Gretsch did, unless they were a one-off with a Filter'Tron-looking appearance.

They could be something like a GFS, I suppose, but I would be surprised by that because, what I know of the player, she is a pretty discerning guitarist with a good ear and she probably would have upgraded the pickups rather than gone with what might be considered a lesser pickup.

Anyone have any thoughts about what these pickups are?

[By the way, these pickups look like they are blackface single coils, but that is merely how the photo was taken. You can see in the bridge pickup that these are regular chrome faces on the pickups.]

Tom did make early HiLo's without the pad printing. I bought a neck HiLo from him years back, and he stated that he was waiting for a batch that had the print on it, or that I could buy one without it, and not wait.

Here's the one that I purchased, IIRC there was a very light etching/engraving on the plastic that said TV Jones.

JD, those are Dynas. Are you suggesting that these pickups are Dynas? I don't think so given the size of the pole pieces.

Just the bridge pickup is a Dyna, look at the neck.

JD, those are Dynas. Are you suggesting that these pickups are Dynas? I don't think so given the size of the pole pieces.

– Ric12string

The neck pickup looks to be a HiloTron in a DeArmound mount.

Many times I've seen plain black HiloTrons on vintage Gretsches that had the black plastic flipped over and the logo was there, just hidden. I don't know why people do it, but they do.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure those are HiloTrons.

Mystery? They're hilotrons, likely with the design worn off. I know the old ones wear off quite easily with regular playing.

– Ric12string

Dyna bridge, TV HiLo in a Dyna mount on the neck.

Guess what I was saying is that the pups you were questioning, could be the early TV HiLo's, before here started having the plastic printed like the Gretsch OEMs

Just to muddy the waters, have a look at these, from ebay seller bezdez out of Canada. Not saying this is the definitive answer, but there do appear to be generic, unlabeled hilotron style pickups out there.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/SET-...

Mystery is solved. Two things: it's an Anni Jr - and they're TV Hilo'Trons. I've seen the backs of them. All may return to regularly scheduled speculation now.

Is that bridge a hollow TruArc?

Mudswitch swapped out for a tone pot.

The Tru-Arc™ isn't hollow - it's a Hole Tone model. Drilled aluminum. I sell'em!

Register Sign in to join the conversation