Pickups

Mosrite Ventures model guitars

Hey guys I just joined up here. I like Gretsch guitars a lot, I hope I can get one at some point soon. Right now I just recently got a Mosrite Ventures model 1965 re issue made in USA in 2009. OK so I looked all over youtube and there is NO videos at all giving info about these guitars, NOT ONE video that shows how to work on them, or all the stuff about them. So I need to know all about the specs, everything about them and how to work on them. I got one issue right ow with it.. The B string, I think, rings out way too loud, a bad overtone when I strum open chords down near the first fret, in particular the open G chord, that one rings out the worst.. It does not ring out louder when I play single notes or bar chords, just some of the open chords. OK so how to fix this? What to adjust? Do I need to take pickups apart and get them re-wound or something? Or get new pickups? And where would I even get new pickups or whatever is needed since Mosrite is gone, they only made guitars again a few years in mid 2000's.. So can you help me out here? I am not sure if I am asking this in the right place on this page or what. Can someone help me out here? Thanks. I just want to get this guitar sounding great like it is supposed to do. This is the only tech. issue I see with it at this time. I got no clue where to find out about this, and need to learn this stuff, but in simple terms. I have played for some years but did not do any tech stuff, so far. . I did write to Ed Elliot a couple times on Facebook but he seems way to busy to deal with these type of questions in any detail. Thanks.

This guy makes Mosrite-style pickups in many different configurations. Ed Elliott does make great pickups but like you say his communication skills are not always there. You might check the Mosrite Forum for other sources and tech info.

mcguitar welcome aboard.

I too love Mosrites but as far as your specific concerns I am not knowledgeable. I own three now. Two vintage and one current Japanese made. I like surf music and as much as I like my 2003 AVRI 62 Jazzmaster I have a lot more fun on the Mosrites.

This guy makes Mosrite-style pickups in many different configurations. Ed Elliott does make great pickups but like you say his communication skills are not always there. You might check the Mosrite Forum for other sources and tech info.

– FritzTheCat

Fritz, thanks for mentioning M3. I wanted some Mosrite pickups and was in talks with M3 some years ago then he stopped responding. Their webpage was gone and I heard from Mosrite fans that M3 was out of business but apparently not. Either people were wrong about them being out of business or they are back. I was asking for smooth top Mosrite pickups, you know, no pole pieces exposed. Eventually I got a pair from Ed Elliot.

Must be the month of the Mosrite/Hallmark connection. Welcome and if you persevere one of these old boys is bound to provide the info you seek...

There are two recognized authorities on Mosrites: Deke Dickerson and Tym of Tym Guitars in Australia. Deke has written extensively about them online, and he really knows his stuff. He may not have addressed this particular issue, but I'm sure you'd enjoy reading what he has to say. He has his own website, and it's chock-ful of all sorts of amazing "musings," as he calls his blog posts.

I don't think anyone was making "really real" Mosrites in 2009, but that may not matter much. Many of the semi-real (or "Semie-real") Mosrites are perfectly good. The one you have is probably an Ed Roman Japanese version.

The original pickups were made by Carvin, and both those and most imitations have individually adjustable pole-pieces. I'd try lowering the pickup a little and messing with the pole-pieces. There really isn't any other option.

Bob Shade, who owns Hallmark Guitars, would probably be considered another Mosrite expert given that before Hallmark (and still) specialized in restoring, repairing, and building Mosrites. Bob is not a hard guy to get a hold of (there's contact info on the Hallmark website). Another very good source of information on Mosrites (including the originals and all their various clones, reissues, etc) is the Offset Guitar Forum. Good luck. Mosrites, be they originals, MIJ, etc are very cool and a fun trip down the road less taken.

Register Sign in to join the conversation