Pickups

MJS hum free Dynasonic replacements!

Single coil hum drives me (and my wife) nuts. Let's not discuss that hereA few years ago I acquired a used White Falcon LDS. I loved all of the features: vertical winged logo, winged fret markers, Bigsby, antique white finish... but not the buzz from the Dynasonics. I tried many remedies, and none worked to my full satisfaction.

On the verge of giving up this great guitar, I decided to try Mike Smyth (Smitty) at MJS Custom Pickups http://www.mjscustompickups... . A guitar playing neighbour had told me about him years before, and he's right here in Mississauga. Smitty did not have a standard Dynasonic offering, but he was immediately up for the challenge of a custom build.

Pictures of the build process are attached. They look just like the old Dynasonics (without pole adjustments). They are essentially stacked single coils that fit in the original covers. Smitty also made a mounting brace, so to avoid gluing the pickups into the covers. And I LOVE the results! To me they still sound like Dynasonics. They're beautifully balanced. And the White Falcon hasn't left my living room since I brought it home. Mission accomplished!

Photos sent to me by Mike:

Pieces of the puzzle...

Velly intellesting.

Looks great, but must hear! Soundclip worth thousand pictures.

They look just like the old Dynasonics

This is not exactly true but I like the idea. Oh yes, soundclips would be nice.

Such coincidence. We were discussing this with TV Jones at the Euro Roundup. MaBeRy came up with a similar plan but then even more refined with some extra tricks.

TVJones Magnatron does sound like 'tronned ('buckered) Dyna. How different is this?

TVJones Magnatron does sound like 'tronned ('buckered) Dyna. How different is this?

– lx

I suppose the result is very similar, but a different design. A Magnatron appears to be two sets of poles, glued in to a cover. The MJS set are one set of poles with two windings, supported by a base mount.

Velly intellesting.

Looks great, but must hear! Soundclip worth thousand pictures.

– Proteus

I wish I had the means to create quality soundclips. I suppose given enough interest, Smitty would do that at a local recording studio. He has done it for his standard offerings.

Same axe an same experience in certain circumstances here DaddyDog. Love he dynas on my falcon too, but the can be noisy indeed.

I am currently finishing my winder device an planning to wind a piggybag coil for mounting on the stock dynas along with a special connection to the stock coil. TV indeed was interested in the details I explained. The idea is to get pure unaltered dyna sound without the hum. Nice that your rewounded ones worked. That motivates me even more t o try my own ideas.

Register Sign in to join the conversation