Pickups

Love the gfs surf 90s

Well first let me say I am new to this board. have been lurking around for the last couple of months steeling as much info as i could. I am really uptight bass player but my 12 year old son as a 5120 and we were just not happy with the stock GBs in there.

So we decided to pull the trigger on the surf 90s when they were be talked about a couple of weeks ago. And man oh man We love these things. The bite the twang and the clarity for what we are into its just amazing. I hate the term for the money. because it seems to imply if you spent much more you would get much better. But Damn for the money these things are incredible. Of course We were looking at the TV Jones but at this time and point just not possible. So I hope this helps anybody who is thinking about the GFS surf 90s.

Thanks for the review man, and welcome to the board! Got any pics? I'm planning on getting some of these soon, but I want to see what it's going to look like.

I will try to get some pics up soon. and imho they look very cool. we got the black ones.

Good to hear, I'm thinking asbout putting them in my cheapy Synchromatic sparkle jet.

I'm a wonderin' if'n these pups have more "spank" "twang" than a pair of HS Filter'Trons? Whaddaya think, King Kat ?

They probably have more E-A-D twang than FilterTrons.

I doubt there would be more sparkle or chime, tho.

Thank for posting these King Kat. I love my Mean 90s. So i guess we are pickup cousins now. W00t!

In my experience, yes. They're twangier and spankier than HS Filtertrons. Not surprising, comparing single coils with humbuckers. But the neck Surf 90 is also a bit clearer than a Hilotron in the neck. I've even got some clips comparing, but it's not a totally even comparison. I've got a neck HS Filter in the bridge position of a Jazzmaster clone, and a bridge Hilotron in the neck position of the same guitar. Compare that with the neck Surf 90, first put in the neck of a Fender Tele, then put in the bridge of the same guitar. The Jazzmaster has roundwounds, the Tele has flatwounds. So, not an even comparison, but here it is:

Surf 90 Tele, Neck, then bridge http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8928320

Filtertron/Hilotron combo Jazzmaster, neck, middle, bridge, bridge, middle, neck http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8937272

Recorded direct to Amplitube Fender, so there's another thing to consider.

Dustyroad said: I'm a wonderin' if'n these pups have more "spank" "twang" than a pair of HS Filter'Trons? Whaddaya think, King Kat ?

mean 90s in the green 335? whats that sound like?

Well in my opinion they have more twang and bite and spank to them then the hs fitertrons. you can even get a nice beefy twang and spank on the neck pick up. I am a believer now in a single coil sound on a hallow body set up.

Doc Helliday:

Thank for posting these King Kat. I love my Mean 90s. So i guess we are pickup cousins now. W00t!

Haha doc I guess so But actually its my 12 year old sons guitar. I just help him out with his rig. keep him in the right direction. So i guess he is the cousin and that makes me more the cool old uncle.

Ah, I see. Well in that case we are distantly related pickup family members lol

silverjetstaff said: Good to hear, I'm thinking asbout putting them in my cheapy Synchromatic sparkle jet

I just finished a rebuild of a hollowbody Synchromatic Sparkle Jet. If the Surf 90s had been available when I started I would have grabbed them. However I put a Dream 90 in the neck and a Dream 180 in the bridge. The first one roars. I had forgotten how good a P90 sounds in the neck position. I guess Eddie Cochran did know what he was doing. The Dream 180 in the bridge isn't to my liking yet, but I'll play with it. If I can't get it to sound right, I may do the EC thing and put the Surf 90 in the bridge. P90/Dyna combo clone!

Just ordered a set. Now I'll have single coil dyna style pups in my 5120, and TV Classics in my 5129. Oh the irony...

Register Sign in to join the conversation