Pickups

Looking for a rhythm pickup

And I’ve replaced the Dynasonic bridge pickup in my White Penguin with a Powertron. Not a huge fan of the Powertron but it is vastly better than the Dynasonic that it came with. I’m looking for more of a classic rock tone not necessarily the spanky single note vibe of the Dynasonic. I hate the neck pickup, to the point I never use it. I’d love to put a P90 in the neck but not sure what I’d have to do to the route?

Anyway any advice on an a pickup that sounds nice playing chords? I have an old arch top with a Lollar P90 in the neck and I love that tone. It’s wonderful overdriven and cleans up nice turning the volume down on the guitar.

I want to bond with the Penguin but I need to find the right pickups for it.
Love TV Classics that I have in my Jag Tan Annie.

Something about the Dnysonics just sound harsh and brittle to me, chords just don’t have any smoothness to them.

Lollar Charlie Christian in a Humbucker Mount.

Lollar Charlie Christian in a Humbucker Mount.

– crowbone

My #1 at the moment sports that PU with a P90 at the bridge. Great PU.

My #1 at the moment sports that PU with a P90 at the bridge. Great PU.

– Opie

I had a chat with JD McPhearson about the CC in his Tele. He was really smitten with it at the time, and he kind of sold me on it. Glad to see they're made in other forms like this one.

Maybe consider a TVJ T90.

Guy can’t help wondering why another guy would get a guitar with two Dynasonics if that guy hates Dynasonics. Penguins come with Filters too, no?

Then, why replace one of the pickups he hates with another he’s not a fan of? If the Penguin has become a dumping ground for unloved parts, maybe a Dyna Penguin is not the right guitar for you in the first place.

Unless something about its playability or cosmetics is so compelling it’s worth all the part swapping...why not flip the guitar?

Also, if the guitar has the stock Tokiwa-built Dynas...they can be a bit unsatisfying in a small-bodied more-or-less solidish instrument. T-Armonds or Seymour D Dynas are noticeably fatter and can sound smoother.

Unless this was just an experiment to see if you’d like Dynas, and you’ve found nothing redeeming in their character, with no interest in trying any other versions. In that case...again, why complicate life by keeping a guitar for which any pickup swaps have to contend with the quirky and exclusive Dyna form factor and its mount? True enough, TV and maybe others make Dyna-specific pickups. But the guitar still has a steeper neck set (to clear the Dynas) than the Filter’Tron version. And some of the pickups being recommended here will require surgery to the guitar.

Someone WANTS a Penguin with Dynas, and would be chagrined to see someone else permanently modding one to accommodate pickups it was never intended for. Could be you have a guitar problem, not a pickup problem. Sell it off with the original pickups and get one built with Filters.

Fralin makes a P90 in a DeArmond mount. Dunno how good they are. TVJones used to but doesn't anymore.

Guy can’t help wondering why another guy would get a guitar with two Dynasonics if that guy hates Dynasonics. Penguins come with Filters too, no?

Then, why replace one of the pickups he hates with another he’s not a fan of? If the Penguin has become a dumping ground for unloved parts, maybe a Dyna Penguin is not the right guitar for you in the first place.

Unless something about its playability or cosmetics is so compelling it’s worth all the part swapping...why not flip the guitar?

Also, if the guitar has the stock Tokiwa-built Dynas...they can be a bit unsatisfying in a small-bodied more-or-less solidish instrument. T-Armonds or Seymour D Dynas are noticeably fatter and can sound smoother.

Unless this was just an experiment to see if you’d like Dynas, and you’ve found nothing redeeming in their character, with no interest in trying any other versions. In that case...again, why complicate life by keeping a guitar for which any pickup swaps have to contend with the quirky and exclusive Dyna form factor and its mount? True enough, TV and maybe others make Dyna-specific pickups. But the guitar still has a steeper neck set (to clear the Dynas) than the Filter’Tron version. And some of the pickups being recommended here will require surgery to the guitar.

Someone WANTS a Penguin with Dynas, and would be chagrined to see someone else permanently modding one to accommodate pickups it was never intended for. Could be you have a guitar problem, not a pickup problem. Sell it off with the original pickups and get one built with Filters.

– Proteus

That all makes sense, except I’m a lefty and I waited years for a White Penguin to show up at a decent price. I typically don’t sell gear. Maybe it’s a lefty thing. You spend your whole life looking at the same two or three left handed guitars in shops across the land and you hang on to the ones that are unique. My first time playing a guitar with Dyans was when my Penguin arrived, and yes I’m not a fan of them.

Another observation: why is it that In damn near all demo clips for pickups no one plays chords? It’s almost all single note, lead playing. Pretty tough to know how a pickup sounds in a rhythmic situation when all you hear is chicken picken or lead playing.

That all makes sense, except I’m a lefty and I waited years for a White Penguin to show up at a decent price. I typically don’t sell gear. Maybe it’s a lefty thing. You spend your whole life looking at the same two or three left handed guitars in shops across the land and you hang on to the ones that are unique. My first time playing a guitar with Dyans was when my Penguin arrived, and yes I’m not a fan of them.

– Hipbone

Oh, You're a lefty...

Nevermind.

Yup. As a lefty, you gotta do what you gotta do. Bird of a different color.

Oh, well you need a left handed Dyna then.

Hipbone,

A bit of self promotion, but have you heard my Off Kiltertron pickups? Asymmetrical dual bobbin multicoil pickups with a six position rotary selector. Tones run the gamut from HiLos to Fendery to Dyna to Filter to Gibby HB to high output Gibby HB. I usually make them in Filtertron covers, but I can do them in soapbar and dogear P90, Gibby HB size, Jazzmaster sizes and a few others.

Demo here:

Have you considered the DeArmond-mount Supertron? Bolder than a regular Filter'tron, looks dandy in the Dyna case-

https://tvjones.com/collect...

I'm a lefty too, fully conditioned to really go the whole ten yards to make a guitar work, safe in the knowledge that it's not going anywhere!

Hipbone,

A bit of self promotion, but have you heard my Off Kiltertron pickups? Asymmetrical dual bobbin multicoil pickups with a six position rotary selector. Tones run the gamut from HiLos to Fendery to Dyna to Filter to Gibby HB to high output Gibby HB. I usually make them in Filtertron covers, but I can do them in soapbar and dogear P90, Gibby HB size, Jazzmaster sizes and a few others.

Demo here:

– Mel Waldorf

Hipbone, Mel’s pickups are no joke. You would think no one would make claims like that, but they are true and sound fantastic!

Very impressed with what I've heard of Mel's Off-Kiltertron pickups. My only hesitation to recommend in this instance is that I don't think they come in a Dynasonic case and I also am unsure if you really, really want to open up the pickup routes.

Mel, do the Off-Kiltertrons work well singly or is it best to have a tandem pair?

The TV Classic in The Dearmond Mount is the logical thingy to do, but I’m really looking to get a P90 or something else on the interesting side. Perhaps a Lollar Gold Foil

After hearing some demos, I can’t get the Lollar Gold Foils out of my head. They also sound amazing in chordal format.

Ade,

I haven't done any in Dynasonic footprint, but I've been looking at options to source the covers, at which point I'll make them.

I usually install OKTs as a pair, but have also done several singles paired with other pickups. I've done four as Strat bridge pickups, one as a Tele neck pickup, and two Jets both with the OKT at the bridge, one in combination with a Dynasonic (for VinceRay) and one with a Supertron. Here's the 70s Jet with the Supertron and OKT, alongside an amp made by PowDog.

Here's one of the Strats and the Tele, also alongside an amp made by PowDog!

Thanks Mel for the expanded insight into the Off-Kiltertron applications. I'm so pleased that the pickups are becoming more widely known and that you're getting such positive feedback on user performance. You've brought something really different, distinctive and valid to the aftermarket pickup scene.

Register Sign in to join the conversation