Pickups

Lindy Fralin P90 in a Dynasonic mount, has anyone tried them?

So I want to swap the Dyna (bridge only) for my G6136DS White Falcon, it sounds nice but it's not exactly my cup of tea. I was thinking about Tv Jones' T-Armond on a Dearmond mount but found this and made me at least curious:

https://www.fralinpickups.c...

Love P90s but none will fit the Dyna space with modding and Tv Jones do not have T-90s on Dearmond mount yet. Anyone has one of these on a Dynasonic equipped Gretsch? Are they a straight swap? Is the string spacing the same for a Gretsch guitar? I'm torn between Tv Jone's T-armond (Dearmond Mount) and one of these Fralins. So which would you pick, the Tele on steroids T-Armonds or the "infamous" hum canceling P90s?

I wish they did a regular p90 in a dearmond shell!

I went with a Lollar GoldFoil in the neck of my White Penguin.... love it. It seems very P-90ish to me. It required slight modification to the guitar.

I hear you; I was disapointed that TVJones was no longer offering a T90 in a Dyna mount. IIRC there are two versions of the Fralins: regular and hum-cancelling. I too am not going to start slicing up Gretsches just to scratch a P90 itch. But I'm tempted.

get a hold of a fmic 1999-2002 era rick turner dearmond 2k pup...basically a p90 design stuffed in dyna hardware...usa made..great pups...

from the late great pickup designer-bill turner (emg founder, fender, etc)

"the 2K is configured like a P-90. The pole pieces and pole adjust screws are steel. The poles extend through the bobbin where they are trapped between a pair of like pole Alnico 5 bar magnets. The bobbin is surrounded by a thin steel U channel from below the bobbin to enhance the pickups inductance.

DC resistance: 7.4K Inductance: 6 Henries 43 gage magnet wire

The sound is like a P-90, in that it is a very fat single coil, but not quite as heavy as a P-90."

cheers

ps- notice that the resistance is 7.4k..the magic number for some interesting pickups...including the ric toaster!!!...not that numbers mean anything...but

get a hold of a fmic 1999-2002 era rick turner dearmond 2k pup...basically a p90 design stuffed in dyna hardware...usa made..great pups...

"the 2K is configured like a P-90. The pole pieces and pole adjust screws are steel. The poles extend through the bobbin where they are trapped between a pair of like pole Alnico 5 bar magnets. The bobbin is surrounded by a thin steel U channel from below the bobbin to enhance the pickups inductance.

The sound is like a P-90, in that it is a very fat single coil, but not quite as heavy as a P-90."

cheers

ps- notice that the resistance is 7.4k..the magic number for some interesting pickups...including the ric toaster!!!...not that numbers mean anything...but

– neatone

Neatone, this is the DA2K that was on Dearmond guitars, not the DA2000 on Gretsch?

I hear you; I was disapointed that TVJones was no longer offering a T90 in a Dyna mount. IIRC there are two versions of the Fralins: regular and hum-cancelling. I too am not going to start slicing up Gretsches just to scratch a P90 itch. But I'm tempted.

– lx

I was going for the TV Classics but my bird has an odd off center pup cavity, according to the guys at TV Jones (sent them detailed pics) it would have to be modified somehow, so they suggested T-Armonds that would be simple a drop in. The thing is I'm not a huge fam of turning my falcon into a Tele, which I can get for the price of the pickup alone, so I rather have a P90 and make it more powerful. I love my LP Jrs. and Special but no one seem to have tested these Fralins.

cheers

– neatone

I'll have a look around but I'm pretty sure they are rare right? The fralins are available online so any feedback on them is welcome.

– WB

From the clips I've heard they don't seem different than the Hum Canceling but I've heard comments they seem 'sterile'. Anyway, I'd rather have a p90 sound on a falcon than a cheap tele sound.

– lx

It seems they are working on that, but it's over 2 years since the rummors started and not a word is out yet on them.

I sent an email to the TV Jones folks about the T-90's in a DeArmond mount not long ago, and they told me they're not available for now.

I don't think you need to be concerned that your Falcon will sound like a Telecaster with a T'Armond. A T'Armond in a Jet gives you something like a "Tele on steroids" vibe but even then a Dyna Jet is not really a Telecaster sounding guitar. I've used that description before but it's only to communicate and relate the sound of a guitar in terms that people are familiar with.

Life is short.... just drop a couple of P-90s in it and be happy. Seriously, I don’t understand why someone would hesitate to mod a modern guitar. It will most likely never be rare. Resale value? I’m guessing there are enough people out there that would love a White Falcon with P-90s. When someone famous does it to a guitar it’s “special,” to the point Gretsch will make a signature model and charge you more. Just make your own signature model! That’s how I approach mods when I make them. Who is the guitar for?

I’d pick a P90.

But the only way in which a hollowbody guitar with a bridge T-Armond and a Tele sound similar is that they’re both electric guitars...

– WB

Contact him. He just might make one up for you.

Lol. You took the words out of my...brain. That’s the perfect description, Buddy!

I tried P90s and walked....in favour of GFS Surf 90s. Non of which sounded like a Dyna of course, but the P90 was way too raucous for me when used with overdrive. Its a shame that it's an expensive game and you won't know till you try

I tried P90s and walked....in favour of GFS Surf 90s. Non of which sounded like a Dyna of course, but the P90 was way too raucous for me when used with overdrive. Its a shame that it's an expensive game and you won't know till you try

Neatone, this is the DA2K that was on Dearmond guitars, not the DA2000 on Gretsch?

– NJBob

yes the 2ks were available on the dearmond line of guitars....bill turner also created the da2000's at the same time..that was more in line with a real dyna...but fmic wanted a different tone for the dearmond guitars so they went with the p90-ish 2k ...the 2000's were eventually offered first on the gretsch 5125-6-7-etc line of guitars

cheers

gfs surf 90's are cool enough..but they are really just a strat bobbin inside a humbucker sized shell, made to look dyna-esque.... the small adjusting screws serve no actual purpose..just there for aesthetic effect

cheers

Yeah, they don't sound like a Dyna and the scew heads are dumb. Don't sound like a strat though, it lacks the glassy transparent thing. Which is not my bag BTW. Never seen inside, I guess they may well look like a strat bobbin

yeah vr, not saying they are strat toned...just use that smaller bobbin size...surf 90's have alnico II polepieces...and are probably wound with #43 wire...so they have their own tone going on...one of the most well regarded gfs pups..surf 90's

cheers

I haven't tried Fralin P90-in-a-Dearmond-cover-which-are-actually-humbucking-pickups, but I have tried Fralin's hum-cancelling P90s made to look like P90s and I was very disappointed. I have used his regular P90s before and been underwhelmed - they sound ok and they do sound much like P90s - but the hum-cancelling versions sounded very different and not particularly P90-like. They lacked the bite and raw charm of a good P90. They actually sounded rather boring and flat.

Register Sign in to join the conversation