Pickups

Lindy Fralin coming out with his version of DeArmonds

Looks like they won't have adjustment screws and they look like the GFS NYII pickups but I'll bet they sound great. The loss of the adjustment system will probably price them lower than T'Armonds.

https://www.facebook.com/Li...

DeArmond made a version that looked like that in the 60’s. Kustom used them on some of their guitars.

https://www.facebook.com/55...

That links to his demo of them in a pro-jet...playing Wind Cries Mary. Demo doesn't really show if they have the snap and clarity of a Dyna.

His "big singles" are interesting as well. Look like the Lollar pickup developed for the Jeff Senn Model 1.

Is there a demo with somebody who can actually play guitar well? Little Wing doesn't cut it.

Is there a demo with somebody who can actually play guitar well? Little Wing doesn't cut it.

– Billy Zoom

all that metalwork in an original dearmond pickup affects the tone..the springs and screws and "elevator" system contribute to the magnetic field

plus they allow for fine tuning string tone

those are probably more ric like actually

cheers

all that metalwork in an original dearmond pickup affects the tone..the springs and screws and "elevator" system contribute to the magnetic field

plus they allow for fine tuning string tone

those are probably more ric like actually

cheers

– neatone

Ironically, I've owned SD custom shop dynas and the tvjones sound more authentic to the DeArmonds of my childhood. whattayadooo? :)

???

but the tv's have the adjusting metalwork!!

the fralins dont have the height adjusting screws

big difference..

not to say there aren't tricks that can be done to make them more similar sounding...but

cheers

Height adjustment option for the whole pickup would be good but I guess they don’t do that. Much more fun to spend hours pissing around with old mouse mat foam and end up wondering if those cheap GFS pups are any good.

Hmm. Chinese Gretsch they say?

Would love to try the Fralins, nice to have another flavor. I like Fralin pickups in general.

Hmm. Chinese Gretsch they say?

– Vince_Ray

Pro Jets are made in China, aren't they...?

BTW, how's the Supro suiting you, Vince?

Anders

I have some killer Fralins in my Tele. He's got some great pups, and a good reputation winding single coils.

These may sound very good, even though they aren't a "traditional" Dyna copy. I think that one would have to try them out before completely dismissing them.

Pro Jets are made in China, aren't they...?

BTW, how's the Supro suiting you, Vince?

Anders

– gretschoholic

I was guessing that they mentioned China gretsch to suggest upgrading a cheaper model.

Did you mean the Supro amp or pickups? I recently bought some vista tones pickups from a forum member. And I am also a fan of the smaller re issue amps, particularly the Supreme. Rehearsed with it today and it made me smile

https://gabojo.com/products...

I like the look and price of these. They fit the humbucker footprint and have screws to raise and lower them. Poles are adjustable on springs like the original. No stupid plates and foam shims. I’m done with that...have moaned about it too much round here. Found my solution in using gfs surf 90s but these Gabojo pups from Greece look mighty fine

If you think about it, the biggest problems with the original Dynas are the adjustable pole pieces, this might be somewhat of an improvement, possibly?

???

but the tv's have the adjusting metalwork!!

the fralins dont have the height adjusting screws

big difference..

not to say there aren't tricks that can be done to make them more similar sounding...but

cheers

– neatone

no metal work.. but the mechanical adjustment is the same. Magnets are slightly shorter and slighty broader in diameter. The difference is a slightly warmer attack and dimensional response but better balance across all strings. If the desire is to have ALL that ice pick attack from the unwound strings, just bump up to the old vintage spec 1meg pot. By these T-armonds using a fiber carriage w screw versus the metal carriage w spring and screw, you get rid of microphonics almost completely but lose none of the authentic twang, boing and thonk for cleans yet gain the opportunity to use overdrive and fuzz w no squeals n feedback. Definitely not a modern tribute but a recreation w an ear for the vintage DeArmond response. I love mine. I do thoroughly appreciate the SD's albeit slightly more clinical and definitely more microphonic.

(pic from reverb of a beat up pickup.. used for illustration of mechanical set up. looks like the dude took a hammer to the pickup)

I was guessing that they mentioned China gretsch to suggest upgrading a cheaper model.

Did you mean the Supro amp or pickups? I recently bought some vista tones pickups from a forum member. And I am also a fan of the smaller re issue amps, particularly the Supreme. Rehearsed with it today and it made me smile

– Vince_Ray

I meant the amp, re. our conversation about the Coronado after I bought mine.

Still loving the Coronado, and lately there's a whole bunch of local guitar players who bought various Supro amps, hah! I was foist

Cheers, Anders

ah gotcha t

fiber!!

(tho still has screws and springs)

tv jones is one of the best pickup guys ever!!..real clever thinker!!..no detail too small

cheers

no metal work.. but the mechanical adjustment is the same. Magnets are slightly shorter and slighty broader in diameter. The difference is a slightly warmer attack and dimensional response but better balance across all strings. If the desire is to have ALL that ice pick attack from the unwound strings, just bump up to the old vintage spec 1meg pot. By these T-armonds using a fiber carriage w screw versus the metal carriage w spring and screw, you get rid of microphonics almost completely but lose none of the authentic twang, boing and thonk for cleans yet gain the opportunity to use overdrive and fuzz w no squeals n feedback. Definitely not a modern tribute but a recreation w an ear for the vintage DeArmond response. I love mine. I do thoroughly appreciate the SD's albeit slightly more clinical and definitely more microphonic.

(pic from reverb of a beat up pickup.. used for illustration of mechanical set up. looks like the dude took a hammer to the pickup)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

I never saw theses Tavo. Are they T Armonds? If there’s a link I’d appreciate it.

The pups in the photo which look like they’ve been hit with a hammer aren’t mine by the way but it is something I’d do

I meant the amp, re. our conversation about the Coronado after I bought mine.

Still loving the Coronado, and lately there's a whole bunch of local guitar players who bought various Supro amps, hah! I was foist

Cheers, Anders

– gretschoholic

Good to know that Coronado is rocking. Have you found any OD pedals that you like with it? Loud amp for breakup as we were discussing. The smaller Supreme is my grab n go amp but I miss the sonic boom of the Coronado.

I have Celestion golds in mine now Vince (Coronado) - stupid expensive, but so far, seems like it was worth it - good balance of volume and breakup, still loud, but not ridiculous.

Good to know that Coronado is rocking. Have you found any OD pedals that you like with it? Loud amp for breakup as we were discussing. The smaller Supreme is my grab n go amp but I miss the sonic boom of the Coronado.

– Vince_Ray

To be honest, the amp's breakup (with the help of a Nocturne) is enough for me in most venues I play. I keep a VoodooLab Sparkle Drive in my guitar case (not permanently on the board), if I should need a little more overdrive.

Anders

celestion alnico golds

some of the best speakers on the current market

cheers

Well that’s got me thinking about a different speaker for the Supreme. Maybe a Weber 12f150, low wattage and light doping.....dunno, I spent a while breaking in the stick speaker. A bit of earlier breakup could be cool. Only 25w but damn loud

Register Sign in to join the conversation