Pickups

kool Hi Lo rieissue

Always nice to have quality options for upgrades. Wonder how they stack up to the TV HiLos?

A Hilo'tron with more power isn't a Hilo'tron anymore. I guess if someone digs the look and the bright, clanky clarity, but wants a louder guitar it's perfect. Doesn't sound like it'd be good replacement pickup though. TV Jones did a nice job on his replacement if anyone needs a Hilo'tron that pretty much sounds like a vintage Gretsch pickup.

Might be a good idea for solid bodies; my '61 slab Corvette was underwhelming. Nicely designed and functional website too.

curtis n is a great pickup maker...does some great and unusual pickups...tv jones also fudges with the classic hilo...he changes the spacing on the neck pup and boosts the bridge pups output...ie. more power!!!

2 of the very best pickup guys out there today

here they are talking about the hilo- (a good read)

https://www.premierguitar.c...

cheers

I been meaning to buy one and rip it apart, er I mean tear it up with one in my Nashville Corvette build. He also provides, or used to provide traditional Hilos, with a “C” silkscreen print of course.

I remember years ago when Curtis and I talked about doing these. He had just gotten this 6118.

A Hilo'tron with more power isn't a Hilo'tron anymore. I guess if someone digs the look and the bright, clanky clarity, but wants a louder guitar it's perfect. Doesn't sound like it'd be good replacement pickup though. TV Jones did a nice job on his replacement if anyone needs a Hilo'tron that pretty much sounds like a vintage Gretsch pickup.

– hilosean

I agree with you on the TV JONES HTTVs. Used them as replacements on my '68 Chet Atkins Tennessean, like them better than the originals. They do have their own distinct "flavor", I use the guitar for certain things that my others don't quite do. Every guitar has it's voice.

I had a G6119T-1962HT with the stock (modern) HiLo's and now have the VS G6119T-62 with the TV HiLo's. About the only difference between the two I could detect was that I didn't have to goose my amp's volume one click. So does slightly higher output and wider pole spacing on the rear p'up alter the tone of the HiLo? Not really. To my ears (which are not cork sniffers), they are pretty much the same tonally with a bit more oomph! My HiLo Tenny sounds like a HiLo Tenny. YMMV.

I had a G6119T-1962HT with the stock (modern) HiLo's and now have the VS G6119T-62 with the TV HiLo's. About the only difference between the two I could detect was that I didn't have to goose my amp's volume one click. So does slightly higher output and wider pole spacing on the rear p'up alter the tone of the HiLo? Not really. To my ears (which are not cork sniffers), they are pretty much the same tonally with a bit more oomph! My HiLo Tenny sounds like a HiLo Tenny. YMMV.

– AndyJ

That's why I like them better, the added oomph. Couldn't really say how they sounded tonally as the guitar has not been played prior to last year since the 1980s. The original pups were pretty much on their last legs before then. I obtained the guitar in '75 and it looked like it had been someone's regular ax; the finish on the back of the neck was already worn pretty well. I do recall them well enough to say the TVs are louder, and as noted I never really heard the originals in their "prime".

Another difference with the Curtis Novak ones is that they are hum cancelling I think.

Register Sign in to join the conversation